Chapter 9

Caisson freezes. She would know that voice anywhere and she can tells this isn't going to be a happy conversation. Slowly she turns around and fakes a smile. "Hey, Colton-"

"I thought I told to leave my sister alone. Get your grubby paws off of her and stay away!" Colton yells before roughly taking Caisson's arm and beginning to drag her away.

She jerks her arm out of his grip. "No! I am twenty-two years old. I can make my own decisions and if that means I want to date one of the top bull riders then you can't stop me." She turns away and struts back to Gunner.

After getting over the shock of what she just said Gunner smiles the biggest smile possible. "You really mean that?"

She looks up into his caramel colored eyes and smiles. "Yeah I mean that."

Wrapping his arms around her he begins to lead her down to where the horses are stalled. "Well remind me never to make you mad."

She laughs and leans into his side.

"So I was going to wait and ask you this next weekend when we have that date I promised you, but now is just as good of a time as any. Caisson Beck, would you like to be my girlfriend?"

"Cay! Hey what made you decide to let your grudge against the rodeo down?"

A groan escapes her lips before she turns back to stare Gunner in the eye. "Before they get here and ruin this entirely. Yes I would be happy to be your girlfriend, Mr. Pate."

He laughs was shakes his head. "No Mr. Pate, that's my dad."

She too laughs and nods. "Okay." She tunes out her parents calls as they come closer. "Be prepared for a million and one questions."

He wraps his arm around her waist and kisses the top of her head. "Questions are my thing, Cais."

She laughs. "Hey mom, dad."

Her mom, Kaylee, pulls her into a very tight hug. "Hey baby! I'm so happy to see you here. Sorry we missed your run."

Caisson tries to laugh as if it is no big deal. "Uh, yeah, mom I didn't ride. I just came to watch and get some new orders."

The bright overly happy smiles her parents wear drop and they don't try to hide the disappointment. "Oh, well I hope you get lots of them. And who is this fine young rodeo athlete?" Her dad rambles his smile back as he realizes that she is hanging around a hot shot rodeo athlete.

Gunner forces a smile and extends his hand. "Gunner Pate."

"James Beck, nice to meet you. I see you have met my daughter."

Gunner nods. "Yes sir, she is quite the lady. She has amazing talent in leather working."

James nods blowing it off as if it is no big deal making Gunner's blood boil. "Yes she does doesn't she. It doesn't compare to her barrel racing talent, though. Would y'all two like to grab supper with us?"

Caisson looks as Gunner giving him a pleading look. "No," she mouths to him while forcing a smile.

Gunner looks back to her expectant parents and smiles. "You know what? I have to help Caisson pack up her stuff for her booth and then she agreed to help me with write a speech I am giving at the school in my home town. Ain't that right, Cais?"

She smiles, for real this time, and nods. "Yeah, Gun. Maybe next time, mom and dad."

They nod. "Yeah, next time." With that they walk away talking about how they need to go see Colton and tell him about the exciting news.

She looks up at him and raises her eyebrows. "Are you actually speaking at your home town?"

He laughs and shrugs. "Well yeah, but not for like two months. I give a 'inspirational' talk every October there and get the kids excited about what they can do now to benefit their dreams." He uses his fingers to form imaginary quotation marks around the word 'inspirational'.

"That's cool."

He shrugs. "Yeah when I was in school one year Ty Murree came that's when I got interested in bull riding. Enough about me though, do you really have to pack stuff up or is that made up?"

She laughs at the way he cocks his head. "I do, but not until the rodeo is over tomorrow."

He chuckles. "So then we could go grab something to eat or watch a movie or sneak in the barn and ride bulls."

"Um, no bulls. Movie is okay. Food sounds amazing, but only fast food or we will run into my parents."

"Okay, so then do they have Whataburger's around these parts?"

She laughs. "Yeah lets go!"
***

Caisson sighs and taps her fingers on the wooden table she brought to have her displays on. Bored. Even with a steady stream of people looking at the displays, talking to her and ordering. All she wants to do is hang out with Gunner. She zones out staring at the floor in front of her.

A throat clears making her jump. She sees the worn boots and slowly lets her gaze travel up the muscular body. A bright smile spread across her face when she sees the familiar smile. "Hey sleepy head," he jokes.

"Not sleepy. Bored."

He chuckles and lowers her voice so only she can hear. "Well I think I might be able to fix that. Write down all the basic information and I will be back in a few minutes."

She knots her eye brows together and shakes her head. "What kind of mischief is he planning?" She mumbles.

Gunner jogs over to his cousins trailer and knocks on the door about ten times. "Get up lazy bones!"

The door swings open and Jake his cousin glares at him. "What?"

"You said you wanted something to do today. I got it. Come on and I'll show you."

Caisson looks at Gunner with raised eyebrows. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

He snakes an arm around her waist. "He has my number if he needs it."

Slowly she begins to nod. "Fine, but I'm trusting you with this."

"Good. Now would you like to go see the rest of this stuff?"

She smiles. "Sure!"

They begin on the opposite side of the fenced in 'yard' than her booth is. She spots Colton and pulls Gunner's sleeve to get him to stop. "There is Colton!" She whisper yells.

He looks over his shoulder. "Oh boy. What do we do now?"

"Walk the other way and pretend we didn't see him." He nods and they begin to slowly walk the other way.

"Hey sis!"

They both freeze and force smiles as they turn around.

A/N
This chapter goes to BEAUT1FULdreamer thanks for all the support in everything! You are an amazing writer and friend.

So what's the thoughts on this chapter?

What about how her parents reacted?