Chapter 13

Caisson settles into her bed and stares at the ceiling. The date was nice, quiet with easy conversation, but it ended before she was ready. The rodeo he had just a couple towns over was a great show and although he got second she still felt like it was one of the best rodeos she has been to with him.

Now he was on his way to the next rodeo, not knowing the trick she has up her sleeve. This thought makes her laugh to herself. Yeah this should be an interesting weekend, especially if her parents show up. Her doubts and fear start to pour in on her. Taking a deep breath she says one of her favorite bible verses, "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans for a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11"
***

Gunner stares down the highway at the yellow lines that feed themselves in his direction. The weekends are always too short and the weeks too long. The time he does spend with Caisson wasn't enough even it was staying up twenty-four hours with her.

Is she right? Can rodeo and a relationship not go together? He shakes his head. No, that's just a twisted vision of it. If it's played right and corporation is used it can work. That doesn't mean it will be easy though. Yes, they could get through it, but it might be tough. But a relationship that isn't tested with bumps in the road can't be trusted, right?

He sighs the pros and cons of both sides couldn't weigh each other out. "Oh my! How am I suppose to know what to do." Then as if a ton of bricks the answer came to him. Prayer! Pray about it and an answer will come.
"Lord, Your plans are always best even when it doesn't seem like it in the middle of what is going on. Show me what it is that I am supposed to do with my rodeo career and Caisson. Thank You for being such a forgiving God and giving Your son to pay for our sins. In Jesus name, amen."
***

Caisson smiles as she places her bag in the back seat of her pickup. "Thanks again for watching the horses and stuff, Tara."

Tara, Caisson's good friend that often comes and rides with her, smiles. "No problem! I'm just glad you are finally getting out of the whole and seeing some people beside me."

Caisson laughs. "Girl! You better watch it. I'm 'seeing' a guy named Gunner now stop beating around the bush and just admit you are glad I'm dating."

Tara grins sheepishly. "Yeah I am."

"Thought so."

Tara sighs. "Oh come on! You can't tell me you aren't happy to get out and enjoy yourself."

Slowly a smile creeps onto Caisson's lips. "It has been a lot of fun to get out and about a little."

"See? Now I know how to take care of things here. Get your bag and go." There is a slight pause before Tara adds, "Just be sure you come back in one piece, please."

Caisson wraps her in a hug. "I will, Tar. Thanks again."

"No problem, Caisson."
***

Gunner strolls towards the sign in booth of the rodeo. As he does he nods to the other guys that he passes. He can't help over hearing their conversations.

"Have you heard that the Beck girl is getting on the circuit?" One says.

The other nods. "Yeah. I heard she is going to be in the bare back broncs."

This causes Gunner to stop walking all together. What? They can't be talking about Caisson. She hates the rodeo. Even if she changed her mind she would have told him she was coming on the circuit. Wouldn't she? He shakes his head and forces his feet to carry him forward.

As soon as he is done signing in her sends her a text telling her he is there and signed in. When she doesn't answer in a hour he sends another one asking her how things are there. Still nothing. He settles himself on the tailgate of his pickup to watch the rest of the rodeo stroll by while he waits for his girl to answer him.

"Hey, man, what's up?" Cody Teel, a good buddy of Gunner's, asks as he places himself on the tailgate beside Gunner.

Gunner takes his hat off and runs his fingers through his hair. "She won't answer me and I heard a rumor she is coming on the circuit. She would tell me if she was, right?"

Cody reaches into the cooler behind him and gets a Coke for each of them. "Gunner, maybe she wants to surprise you. You said she hates the rodeo so if she is coming on the circuit that means she is willing to change for you."

"Maybe."

Cody claps his friends shoulder. "Come on it's almost time for rough stock to start you need to stop moping so get ready and we are going to watch."