Chapter 12

Caisson stares out the window of her work room and sighs. Two days since she had left the rodeo grounds and she already misses Gunner, terribly. The days pass so slowly she feels like they are weeks instead of only twenty-four hours. Bringing herself back from smiley Gunner dream land she turns radio up to distract her so maybe she could get the pair of leggings she is working on done.

As Bret Young's new song In Case You Didn't Know comes on making her stop and stare at the picture of Gunner she has sitting on the work table just beside her. Giving into the urge to call him she picks up the phone. She counts the times it rings until it goes to voicemail. A frown creases her face. "Hey, Gunner, it's me Caisson. I miss you."

Sighing in frustration she sets her phone back on the table and gets back to the stitching she was doing before she gave into to calling him. She begins to hum along with the radio as she weaves the needle in and out of the leather. Shortly after she finishes the piece she has been working on there is a knock at the door. Come on, really? I don't want to talk to people right now.

She opens the door and a huge smile spreads across her face. "Gunner?" Okay, yeah I do want to talk to this person.

"Hey Cais! I'm sorry I didn't answer when you called me, I wanted to surprise you."

She laughs. "I think you succeeded pretty heavily."

He smiles and kisses her forehead. "Good I'm glad." Wrapping his arms around her he whispers in her ear, "You ready for our first official date tonight?"

She grins from ear to ear and nods. "Yeah, I'm ready."

He cocks his head to the side. "Why do you look like you don't want to?"

All happiness drains from her face. Shaking her head she quickly jumps in. "No no no, that's not what I meant. I guess I'm just a little nervous." She hopes her words are convincing, because it's true she was nervous and she really did want to go on the date with him.

"I understand," he whispers almost as if he doesn't. "I think I'm going to go check out the options in town so I decide where to take you." With that he walks out the door and back to the cab of his pickup. He sinks into the drivers seat and sighs deeply.

It has only been a week. Why does it feel like so much has changed, for the worse? What have I done to make her nervous? Or make her not want to go? Is it because I was a pain in the rear when we had lunch with her brother? This triggers something in his mind. Gunner! How stupid can you possibly get? She has told you why she doesn't like the rodeo, why did you go and ruin that with talking about it and ignoring her the whole entire time? Goodness, get your head on straight and start paying attention things that she likes. You really have to get your head in the right place.

Caisson drops onto the bean bag chair she has in the corner of her work room and pushes back the tears that build behind her eyelids. What have I done? There is nothing more that I want to do than to go on a date with him, but apparently that isn't very clear. How do I show him that I really do? How do I show him that I am totally over what happen with Colton and just want to be around him? Then suddenly a idea pops into her head.

She quickly slips into the chair in front of her laptop and pulls up google. Finding the rodeo circuit she knows he has been following she finds the one that he should be going to next. Once she has the information for it she nods in approval. Yes, this should show him how she feels.

Feeling satisfied with herself she goes to her room and looks through her closet for the perfect outfit to wear. She knows he likes it when she wears dresses from when they have texted. The longer the better. She looks over a long teal one with cap sleeves. It is cute, comfortable and one of her top picks. The next one has soft peach strips running across the skirt and teal as the bodice. She holds them up and looks at herself in the mirror. "Definitely the teal one."
***

Gunner straightens his collar and knocks on the door. The seconds that tick by before it swings open feel like hours. He is made speechless when she opens the door and his gaze sweeps over the simple teal dress with her boots peeking out from underneath it.  He opens his mouth, but no words come out.

She giggles nervously. "I hope that's a good speechless."

He swallows, smiles and nods. "Definitely."

"I'm just going to grab my phone and I'll be ready to go," she says pointing back into the house.

He nods. "Okay." As soon as she has rounded the corner he takes a deep breath and runs his hand across his face. She reappears wearing a jacket and a smile making him too smile.

Once at his pickup he opens the door for her and shuts it once she is safely inside. The ride to the restaurant is filled with a comfortable silence although both of their minds are running with thoughts of each other.

Is her constant smiles mean she is really happy or forcing them?  

He is happy, right?

I hope she likes hamburgers.

What if he picked a fancier place than what I'm dressed for?

As he turns off of the main road she realizes where he is taking her. She smiles and glances over at him to find him staring at her. With a slight nod she notices a little of the nervousness drain from his eyes and grin spread across his face.

Once he parks and cuts the engine he jumps out quickly. She smiles as he opens her door for her and extends his hand for her to step out. She takes his hand and steps out onto the black pavement. He locks the doors before taking her hand and leading her towards the bright red door.