Chapter 18

Dr. Jones looks from Gunner to Caisson to the X-ray and back again. "I'm afraid I have bad news."

Gunner's arm that is around her waist instantly becomes tighter and he places a kiss on her temple. "I promise it is going to be okay, Cais," he whispers. She nods.

"It looks like the we need to do surgery to place some of the chips of bone where they should be. The sooner the better. Every time you walk on it or move it around it takes it farther from healing the right way."

"So when would you like to do it?" Gunner questions almost afraid to ask, but also thinking the sooner the better.

"Today?" Dr. Jones lets out a breath. "Anytime really is good for me. I will let y'all talk in private, unless you have any questions."

Caisson speaks up. "Umm, how long will it take?"

"Not really sure until we get there and see, but about two hours. After the surgery you will need to stay the night," he says looking to Gunner for the last part.

Gunner nods letting him know they would like to talk about it. After the door closes behind the doc he turns to Caisson. "What do you think we should do?"

The tears have already began to build in her eyes. She sniffles and wipes her eyes are he envelopes her in his arms. "It- it is up to you, but it sounds like you need to do it n- no- now."

He kisses the top of her head and squeezes her to him a little more. He knows she is right and he fully agrees, but he hates how much this is hurting her. "Okay," he finally says. "Let me call my parents and then we will let Dr. Jones know."

He doesn't make a move to release her from his comforting hold, making her snuggle closer to him. She closes her eyes and breaths in his woodsy scent. Everything about him is comforting and calming to her, even the rhythmic beating of his heart. When a few minutes have passed he slowly pulls away before giving her forehead a soft kiss. She smiles at him and pulls him for a quick hug.

"I will be back in a few minutes, sweetheart, I am going to call my parents," he tells her before kissing her cheek.
***

In a matter of a few hours Dr. Jones has given them a full run down of how the operation will go, Gunner's parents are on their way, and Gunner has set up a surprise for Caisson. Against all of his many pleas and efforts to convince her to go to the house and get some rest she is sitting right next to him as he fills out paperwork. She clings to his hand as he goes to turn the papers in.

He smiles and kisses her cheek as they sit back down to wait for Dr. Jones to call him to get prepped. With each thing they complete it brings them closer to the surgery starting. The closer they get to the surgery starting the tighter she clings to him. Most people would find it annoying and childish, but Gunner finds it very sweet and adorable.

"Gunner," Dr. Jones calls solemnly. The humor and jokes are gone from his eyes and a look of sympathy has replaced it.

Gunner nods and kisses Caisson's cheek before getting up and strolling towards the doctor. "I love you," he mouths to her with a smile.

For a brief moment a smile graced her lips too. "I love you too," she mouths back.

"I will have a nurse come get you before we take him back," Dr. Jones tells her.

"Thank you," she answers her voice sounding much weaker than she would like.

As Caisson sits and waits the seconds feel like minutes and the minutes like hours. Finally a nurse calls for her. She jumps up, probably a little quicker than recommended, not that she cares, and follows the nurse back. As they stop in front of a door Caisson takes a deep breath and receives a nod from the kind nurse. She slowly moves her hand to the knob as if scared of what she is going to see behind the door.

Finally she opens the door and a smile instantly slips to her lips as she sees her man lying in a hospital bed. Even though he looks a little on the loopy side and is in a washed out hospital gown he looks just as handsome as ever and has a smile on his face.

"There is that beautiful woman I like to call mine!"

She giggles at his words and walks towards him. "Well I like to think that I am yours."

"You are sweetheart, you are," he tells her as he motions for her to come closer. He scoots over so that she can settle into the bed next to him.

She snuggles up to his side and places a gentle kiss on his shoulder through the thin fabric of the hospital gown. "I love you," she whispers.

"I love you too," he whispers back before placing a kiss on the top of her head.

All too soon Dr. Jones comes in ready to take a now very loopy Gunner back. He steps outside so that they can privately say "see you later".

As she starts the scoot off the bed he pulls her back into his arms. To her surprise he doesn't kiss her cheek as usual he places lips on hers and kisses her soundly. For an instant she is shocked but it doesn't take a moment before her lips are moving in sync with his.