Chapter 29

Gunner looks over a Caisson who has an expectant look on her face. She insisted that she would she in the lobby while he went back to let the doctor check out his foot. Now that he asked a nurse to call her back into the room with him she is waiting, very anxiously, for the report. The doctor and nurses have stepped out as they have already done their part for the time being.

"Well? Are you just going to make me sit here and stare at you all day?" She presses.

He laughs. "I didn't think that would be such a chore for you, but apparently it is."

She sighs and rolls her eyes. "You know what I meant. Just tell me what he said already!"

He takes his time sliding off of the table and onto his feet. Then he sits down beside her and takes her hands in his. While making a very serious face and in a serious tone he says, "Pine Cone, I'm sorry, but I can walk without no help and no boot now."

She cocks her head sideways and raises her eyebrows at him. It only takes a second for her lips to break out in a wide smile. Then she jerks her hands free from his and wraps him in a tight hug. "Gunner Pate, if you ever scare me like that again you better have quick refluxes because you might just have a black eye," she growls while still holding him tight.

"Okay, okay I understand, but Cais I can't breathe."

Loosening her hold on him she places a quick kiss on his lips. As she starts to get up from his lap he catches her arm. "Whoa whoa whao, who said you could go anywhere? I need a better kiss than that."

Shaking her head she slides out of his gentle hold. "Not here, Care Bear. I don't give the kind of kisses you are talking about in public."

He puts on his pouty face and slumps in the chair. Before he can get his plea out of his mouth there is a knock at the door. As he calls, "Come in," he looks over at Caisson who gives him the 'see?' look.

"I trust you enjoyed the information," the doctor says looking towards Caisson with a smile.

She nods and takes Gunner's hand in hers. "Yes sir."

"Good, good. Gunner, you can leave the walking boot with me, or take it with you if you would like. I would like to see you back in three weeks to make sure everything is still on the right track, but you are good to go today."

Gunner begins to unstrap the black walking boot with a smile. Finally, he is a free man. No more hobbling around, no more being forced to be the passenger, and, most importantly, no more awkward sitting positions when he's trying to snuggle with Caisson. Yes, the freedoms will be nice to enjoy once again.

After signing a half a million papers they are finally walking out of the doctor's office hand in hand with smiling faces. Gunner opens the passenger door for Caisson and watches her slide in before closing it. When he gets in his own side he wraps his arms around her and pulls her close to him. "You know, life is too short to not be thankful for the things that truly matter."

Those words don't need any to follow them. She simply places a soft kiss on his lips and starts the engine. He cocks an eyebrow at her, but she only shrugs. "It's getting cold in here."

He chuckles and places a kiss on her forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too."

When they arrive back a Caisson's house it is no surprise to find Colton and Tiffany's vehicle in the driveway. Although they have found a house and stay there most of the time the stove does not work, so they stop by for meal. Caisson doesn't mind and since Gunner is living with them as well it just means there is an extra excuse for him to go see her.

Gunner steps inside the house after Caisson and smiles. This is how he can see his life. Coming home to Caisson as his wife, and kids eventually. The time will come, you just have to be patient, he tells himself.

In the past two months, since he and Colton looked at the arena for sale, he took his dad to see the place and they decided it would be feasible to get the bucking chutes back in working order and they put in an offer on the place. Two weeks later they found out the offer was excepted.

"Hey man! You ready to go sign some papers and get our business on the road?" Colton calls across the kitchen.

Gunner chuckles at the excitement in his new business partners voice. "Absolutely! Just remember, though, we are doing updates before we launch this thing into action."

"I know, I know." Colton walks around the edge of the counter and throws his arms in Gunner's direction. "Hey! Look at you, no more hobbling around."

Gunner beams a smile and winks at Caisson, who stands watching the two interact. "Darn right! Just in time to put you through real work too."

Colton swats the air. "Huh, you don't even know what real work is yet."

Caisson rolls her eyes and steps in the middle of them. "Okay, okay boys that is quite enough. Now then, y'all go on and get those papers signed because I have girl things to discuss with your wife," she says pointing at Colton.

They both head to the door and grab their hats. Colton turns around and grins mischievously. "Don't burn the house down, spend all the money, or come up with crazy plans like me having a dozen children. I know you a bit too well to let you get away with things like that, baby sis!"

With that the door closes and the male gender is out of the house entirely, well almost. If you count Grace's baby dolls that just so happen to be her sons then not exactly.

"Okay! So how about the three of us go check the mail and see if all those cute decorations we ordered are in?" Tiffany declares excitedly.

Caisson grins and nods. "Totally! We should just let them get gone before we run off."

"Yeah, you don't want Daddy know about all the stuff you got for his side of the room!" Grace declares with her eyebrows raised and a scared look on her face.

Tiffany and Caisson both laugh. Caisson bends down to whisper into Grace's ear, "He might act big and bad about it, but really he's going to love it!"

In a matter of a few minutes the girls have everything they will need to decorate the four bedroom house Colton and Tiffany purchased just two weeks before. Caisson and Grace take her pickup and Tiffany follows behind in her Expedition. First they go into town and stop by the post office and load the bed of Caisson's pickup with all the big boxes while the little ones go in Tiffany's back seat.

Finally they arrive at Colton and Tiffany's new home and begin to unload the boxes. They decide to start with Grace's room since she is dying to get her bed just how she wants it with saying and pictures surrounding it.

"What do you think about putting it in that corner and then the pictures can ripple off of it?" Tiffany asks her daughter.

Grace begins to bounce up and down. "Yes, yes, yes!"

With Klove playing in the background and smiles on their faces the three girls get to work moving the furniture in the room and organizing the frames and canvases on the wall. The twin bed has a light blue with pink swirls comforter on it that makes it match perfectly with the pink canvas with 'Don't follow your heart for it is deceitful, but follow Christ for His way is perfect' painted on it.

"It's perfect!" Grace declares as she draws her mom and aunt into a group hug.

Tiffany checks the time on her phone. "I think we should get back to Cais's so that when your daddy gets here you can surprise him. What do you think?"

Grace giggles and looks at Caisson with a beaming grin. "Can we make cookies?"

"Sure!"