23

Ryan

It had been six days now since the surgery. Hazel has been responding soundly to treatment although she hasn't gained consciousness yet and that fact did nothing to ease the fear in me. I'd come clean with the tests,although it was pretty obvious I would. She wasnt contagious anymore.

I walked in looking at her breathing through the oxygen mask. I took a seat beside her on the bed. I haven't been able to attend to work this whole period and I'm kind of scared my dad's noticing but,whatever. All he ever cares for is his company and his money. How would he ever understand what I'm going through?

I sighed as I took hold of her little hand in mine.

Why do you torture yourself like this?I asked her in my mind.

"You know what sunshine,you can't leave, no,you absolutely cant" I whispered,fatigue clearly audible in the way I spoke.

"Do you know why? "I continued.

"Because you need a better life, because I need a second chance,because your life matters...maybe not to you.....but to me....because I need to set things right.....because.... I love you more than my own life and I want to fulfill my promises to you so you cant leave"I finally admitted outwardly.....and gosh...that felt good only if she was conscious to hear it.

Suddenly, her eyes began to flicker open. Tension teetered through me as I grasped her hand even tighter,watching her fight to open her orbs.

"Nurse! Get the doctor, she's regaining consciousness! "I yelled to the nurse and in a few minutes time, Trevor appeared.

"Hazel, keep breathing, keep breathing" I said as she continued to struggle until her eyes finally fluttered open.

Trevor quickly fixed another drip and gave her an injection.

"Welcome back Hazel" He told her with a small smile as the nurses helped her sit up,taking off the tubes all over her. She looked around,confused at first but as soon as her gaze met mine,she sulked. Bits of red flickered all over her face,making her pale figure even more eminent.

"Make sure she gets some rest, she's very stable now....In about some days,she'll be discharged but on constant medication "Trevor directed at me.

"Thank you very much"I said before he nodded and left. I looked back at Hazel. She darted her eyes down.

"Ryan...."She croaked,but the held her throat and I quickly rushed to the nearby table to get her water.

"Dont force yourself" I told her,sitting on her bed and helping her sip from the glass. "Are you okay?" I asked lowly as the rim of the cup left her lips. She nodded looking everywhere but me but my gaze remained on her. I wanted to hug the hell out of her and thank her for not leaving me.

"Ryan I.." she started again "I'm really sorry... I" I quickly cut her short placing my index finger on her soft lips.

"It's okay sunshine....the only thing you have to do now is get better" I said from where I sat beside her. "You're not mad that I didnt tell you?" She asked,water clouding her eyes. I pulled her into my embrace,wrapping my arms around her tenderly so I wouldnt hurt her.

"No,not at all. I should have done better,I should have been more attentive. I'm sorry" I whispered.

She slowly laid her head on my shoulder,relaxing into my embrace and I smiled.

"Thank you "she whispered back clutching the sides of my shirt "Thank you so much Ryan" I felt a tear wet my shirt and I stroked her hair.

"Its okay sunshine,its okay"