The Manhunt

Y/N'S POV -

(a/n: I've studied this poem and I thought it would go great with this book)

The Manhunt – Simon Armitage

After the first phase,
after passionate nights and intimate days,

only then would he let me trace
the frozen river which ran through his face,

only then would he let me explore
the blown hinge of his lower jaw,

and handle and hold
the damaged, porcelain collar-bone,

and mind and attend
the fractured rudder of shoulder-blade,

and finger and thumb
the parachute silk of his punctured lung.

Only then could I bind the struts
and climb the rungs of his broken ribs,

and feel the hurt
of his grazed heart.

Skirting along,
only then could I picture the scan,

the foetus of metal beneath his chest
where the bullet had finally come to rest.

Then I widened the search,
traced the scarring back to its source

to a sweating, unexploded mine
buried deep in his mind,
around which
every nerve in his body had tightened and closed.

Then, and only then, did I come close.

-----

I analyzed the poem with my eyes, feeling the hurt that the woman carries.
Wishing Lauren would let me in, wishing I could just brake the wall that surrounds her.

'then, and only then, did I come close'

The last stanza invaded my mind of the bank robbery.
Lauren showed me love, she let me in for that one day then built up her walls again.
On the way back in the van she was so happy, we laughed and joked around, she even cuddled with me and told me how much she loved me.
She let me ask her any question I wanted to ask and she answered them all, that's until we got back and she threw me back in the dungeon.

'only then'

The repetition of 'Only then' made me think of how long it's going to take for me to get close to Lauren, and how long it's going to take for Lauren to trust me.

I could hear the sound of metal chains being drug across the stone floor, possibly leaving scratches behind them.
My eyes landed on the door as it was flung open, and there an angry looking Lauren came into the room with what seems to be the chain I heard.
Lauren had no top on, only a bra and some shorts.

I swallowed the lump of saliva that had built up in my mouth.
She walked slowly towards me swaying her hips to the rhythm of the chain scraping the floor.
I couldn't help but feel turned on by this, she was completely beautiful.

I got up when she was now in front of me, giving her a little smile but I got no smile in return.

Our eyes were now having a staring contest, I looked deep into her now Grey eyes.
Confusion was circling round in my brain, her eyes used to be green, why are they Grey?

I lifted my hands up and put them on her shoulders, trailing down her collar bones with the gentle touch of my warm hands.
I could feel her shiver beneath my touch which formed a slight smile on my face.

My fingers now traced the outlines of her ribs with care, then proceeding down to her flat yet toned down stomach.
She stepped closer to me as I reached the bottom of her stomach.
There was a scar going from the right side of her stomach to the left.
I trailed my fingers along each end of the scar until they met in the middle, then repeating my movements again.

My head looked up at Lauren's to be met with her now teary eyes.
Still looking deep into her eyes, I gently took the chain out of her hand dropping It on the floor.

A single tear fell from her face, I bring my hands up to cup her face, wiping her tears away with the pad of my thumb.
I felt her hands rest perfectly on the sides of my stomach, slowly sliding down to rest on my hips.

I moved my face closer to hers, resting my forehead on hers.

"sorry"
She whispered just loud enough for me to hear her.
I gave her a forgiving smile and kissed her lips.
She tilted her head to deepen the kiss.
I pushed my lips against hers, giving her all my love in one kiss.

When air became an issue we pulled away, going back to resting our foreheads on each other's.
Lauren then lifted me up bridal style and carried my out of the dungeon room.

'and feel the hurt of his grazed heart'

As my mind remembered that stanza, I lifted my hand up to Lauren's heart, tracing circles around it.
I kissed her neck and fell asleep in her warm, protective arms.

*****************
A/N: next chapter will be up tomorrow or the day after.
Will Lauren tell her about the scar.
What is it?

Hermy-