Chapter 6

Eve's POV
I watch the glaring ball of light exit the firmament, as Raphael, the other angel, walks up beside me and gesture back to the staircase, wanting me to go back to the Garden. I sigh dramatically. "Am I doing what God has asked of me?" I wish I just knew. Lucifer, as far as I knew, didn't know the real reason we planted the tree. Neither did the other Angels, and Adam didn't even know the Tree existed. It was growing fast, I liked watching it flex and change, the way it's supposed to. It was as if it had a mind of it's own, a living building if you will, for the bees had already made it a house. Small golden apples have already started growing on the branches. I liked to sit underneath the generously given shade that is provided. As for the angels, the few that had been created so far seemed nice. The only one that I really knew was Lucifer. He seemed to barely tolerate me, or Adam for that matter. Michael was more kind than him, and Raphael never talked to any of us. I think I saw another, on the firmament. Must be the new guy. Father of course, loved all of us, the day he came to me in the Garden and gave me the seeds, I didn't understand, He kept saying that "It was going to be a test of Faith for all. And of course the only thing to do with seeds is plant them. He gave me very clear instructions. "Take the seeds, go to the Light Bearer, get him to help you plant the Tree. But Eve, know this. When it blooms and fruit has grown on it, you must not eat from it. For the Tree will have only tainted produce, and is evil." I understood completely. I wouldn't dare eat from the Tree. Ever. Because my Father has implored me not to. Finally I lay beneath the tree, and sleep.

Lucifer's POV
I'm not stupid, He must have known I would figure it out eventually. The Tree. It wasn't just for Eve to prove to herself that she could plant something. And those apples on it weren't just apples. I stared at my reflection in the glassy surface of the water. I was his first, I was the one he loves most. Sorry, did love most. Before the soft, fleshy humans made an appearance. My halo pulsed, glistening, but faltering out of light moment by moment. At this point, I knew exactly why. I also knew what I must do. To go to the Tree, and convince one or both of the humans to eat from it. The apples were filled with ichor and knowledge, something Father didn't want them to have, for fear of knowing the difference between right and wrong. Well, if that happens, they'll be expelled from The Garden, away from my Father. I smiled deviously at my reflection. This is perfect.

The next few months dragged on slowly, but of course each new day Father created new siblings, ones that look like me, but with their own colors, their own symbols. The first seven he had created he called them "Archangels". Being his first, at the last one he created, Jophiel, it's name was, he joined us in one crowd, and told us that each of us had an extreme amount of power, but we're only strongest when we are together. When he talked to me alone, he said that being the eldest, I was to look after all of them, but never to order them. Upon hearing this, I was slightly disappointed. What's the good of being the first if you don't get to tell the next in line what to do? He also told us all to use the information he gave us upon creation for good and good only. When he let us disperse, Michael walked over to me. Confused, I looked over at him. Looking at the others, he watched them carefully, with a solemn but loving face.  "Has Father told you what to do yet?" I stared at the others along with him. "What do you mean, Michael?" He fiddled with the extra brass he had uncovered. "Father has asked me to give these to you." He takes out two large chunks of brass and a bunch of string, made of the same material. Confused, I narrow my eyes at the objects, and ask him why. He shrugs. He places them in my arms, and walks off. I started to ponder over the items. I counted the strings. There were forty seven. I started shifting the brass between my hands, heating it up and making it softer. I connected the two pieces of brass, and while letting them harden, I poked small holes on either end. Connecting the strings on both sides of the brass, and set it down carefully. It's a nice...something. I am not really sure what it is yet. While letting my invention harden, I sat there quietly, thinking of a name, or what it might be used for. Once it was whole again, out of the corner of my eye I see Gabriel step over towards me. "Yes?" I ask him, thinking he needed my help for something. He sits down next to me, his uncontrollable large wings brushing the ground. "What do you have there, brother?" I answer as honestly as possible. "I don't know yet."  I take another look at his wings. They were collecting dirt and debris from the ground. "You know Gabriel, you can fold those up, so they don't have to touch the ground when you sit." Mine were huddled close on my back, folded tightly against me. The shimmery gold pattern on then glistened in the light of the sun. He folded his up like mine were. Concentrating, he tried to get them as close as possible to him. "What do you suppose you are going to do with that thing, Lucifer?" I look down at it, and seeing it was one whole thing, now hardened, I picked it up and handed to him, trying desperately to be a nice older brother for once. I let him tussle with it, his hand brushed against the strings in the middle and it made a sporadic, but beautiful noise. We both look at each other. "Do that again, Gabriel." He does it, this time with a purpose. It makes a flowingly natural sound, an unmistakably charming noise that could tame a wild beast. I smiled at him. "Maybe this brother thing won't be so bad."

This part of my life, it's called the emotional roller coaster.