C H A P T E R | O N E

A/N: This story takes place in June, 2017, which means that since Hermione (and a few others, you'll see who I mean) are twenty, they were born in 1997. You'll see who I'm talking about as the story progresses, seeing as it is mentioned who is the same age as Hermione.

_______________________________

HERMIONE CLUTCHED HER invitation tightly. She was tense, which could be realized if one noticed the way she sat so rigidly straight in her leather seat, or the way that her hands were clenched so much that they were shaking, her knuckles were white, and you could see indentions of her nails in the now-crinkled paper.

The witch had read over the invitation so many times earlier that she had now memorized it.

Dear Hermione,

     This Saturday is the annual Swan family reunion. Everyone has received an invitation, including your mother, aunt Helen, and uncle Charles as well as their family by marriage. I understand that in past times you have been busy, and that you have not attended a reunion since you were thirteen, but I am hoping that now that you have settled down a bit that you might join us, especially since this year is seeing the largest reunion ever. It will be held the nineteenth of June, at the Kingston Hotel in New York City, New York, in America.

Best of wishes,

Aunt Betsy

Hermione sighed. She had been able to convince her parents to allow her to excuse herself from every reunion after her fourth finished year at Hogwarts, what with the war rising and all. These things were dreadfully boring and Hermione absolutely despised her aunt Betsy, along with her rich husband and spoiled children.

But now Hermione was twenty, the war had been over for two years now, she had finished her final year at Hogwarts (everyone was required to retake their year what with the disrupted education the year prior), and already secured a job in the ministry for the Department for the Regulation of Magical Creatures (a job that provided a good opportunity to advance S.P.E.W.) as well as a position that allowed her to work with England's Prime Minister for wizarding/muggle relationships.

Since she really now had nothing to validly pardon herself from the torturous family bonding experience, Hermione was going to have to partake in it. Luckily, her boyfriend was coming along with her, and all of her other more tolerable aunts, uncles, and cousins were coming also.

As of right now, the young witch sat in the backseat of her parents' car, one they had bought during their time living in Australia as the Wilkins and had kept even after Hermione had successfully returned their memories. Jean and Rob were not angry once they found out what their daughter had done. On the contrary, they were grateful for the protection that the caring young woman had thought to give them.

Hermione's boyfriend noticed how tense she seemed, so he put his hand over hers and gave them a small, comforting squeeze. She looked into his gray eyes and gave him a tiny smile.

She and Draco had apparated to New York behind the airport her parents were arriving in. After about an hour of waiting, the plane had finally landed and the four had been able to depart to the hotel.

Once they arrived, valets had shown up to take their cars and they met some of the others attending the reunion. Aunt Betsy and Aunt Helen were there with their families, but so was Charles Swan-- Uncle Charlie. Standing next to him were four very, well, beautiful people, along with an equally lovely child, none of which Hermione recognized. Though it admittedly had been seven years since Hermione had seen any of her family but her parents.

Uncle Charlie greeted the Grangers first.

"Jean," he said in his American accent, hugging his younger sister." I can't believe we stayed out of touch since the last reunion."

"I know," she said. Jean glanced over at the four new people. "But who is this?"

"Oh," said Charlie, walking towards the people. "This is Bella, and her husband, daughter, and in-laws."

Hermione stared at the woman Charlie had called Bella. Was this really her cousin?

She remembered Isabella Swan as a shy, clumsy, plain girl who also had a love for reading and didn't treat Hermione like trash. This was not that Bella.

Instead, there was a magnificent, classy woman who held her head high and had an elegant stance. She looked similar to the others, all of whom had white-as-a-sheet skin and topaz eyes. Bella had always been pale, but not like this. And hadn't her eyes been brown?

Also, Bella was the same age as Hermione, but her daughter seemed to be at least nine.

Looking over at her parents, Hermione saw that they were just as shocked as she was.

The man, Bella's husband, Charlie had said, stepped forward and held out his hand with a considerably arrogant half smile. He was looking at Hermione as though he found her intriguing.

"I'm Edward Cullen, pleased to meet you." His voice reminded her of velvet.

"I'm Hermione Granger, pleased to meet you as well," said Hermione, reaching out to shake his hand. When their skin touched, she gasped. His hand was solid as rock and felt like someone had put a freezing charm over it. Hermione froze and something clicked.

Pale, cold skin, unnatural eyes, a smooth, silky voice, the way Bella's appearance had changed so drastically.

Hermione could remember coming across a certain book and reading about the creatures. She couldn't recall the exact term for them, but she knew they drank blood, like vampires. But they weren't exactly vampires, because true ones didn't sparkle in the sun, they burst into flames, and did sleep, just not at night, and didn't have any supernatural powers, and definitely didn't have a soul or conscience that would make them want to drink animal rather than human blood, which the color of these particular's eyes indicated.

No, this species were more like... vampire wannabes.

As Hermione thought this last sentence, Edward frowned.

"This is my father, Carlisle, and mother, Esme," he continued, still frowning in Hermione's direction. "And this is mine and Bella's daughter Renesmee, though we call her Nessie."

"Like the Loch Ness monster?" asked Rob, at the same time Jean said,

"But she's so old!"

"The nickname's a short story," said Bella, "While her age is because she's not actually our daughter. She's Edward's niece--"

"From my birth family," Edward cut in. "I'm actually adopted."

"And she's adopted as well, by us." But if Renesmee (what a strange name) was adopted, why did she have Bella's old eyes?

_______________________________

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling does. I do not own Twilight, Stephenie Meyer does.