C H A P T E R | S I X

IT'S NOT LIKE Hermione meant to use magic.

     Magic had exploded out of her whenever she was angry all of the time when she was a kid. It was a habit that was supposed to gradually fade as you got older, and stop altogether. And Hermione had previously thought that it had.

     She was wrong.

     You see, the entire family had been on the beach, except for the Cullens and Hermione's grandparents, who had stayed at the hotel and were having lunch together.

     The ocean was exceptionally calm. Well, except for this one time when Shannon had insulted Annabeth and then, out of nowhere, a ten foot wave crashed right on top of her head, which got even stranger when you considered the fact that she had been standing at only the edge of the water.

     In spite of this one small mishap and a near-fatal fight with an umbrella, the day had been going relatively well. They had just finished their sandwiches and the girls were laying out in the sun on their beach towels. Vanessa remarked that Hermione could definitely use it.

     "So, Hermie, what have you been up to lately? Found work that'll take you?" asked Shannon.

    B"As a matter of fact," said Hermione, "I currently work in the ministry as a coordinator for the minister. I oversee relations between different groups of people and help with civil cases." This was true; there were many cases between muggles and wizards that Hermione had to sort through.

     Annabeth, Vanessa, and Shannon looked extremely surprised.

     "Wow," said Vanessa, recovering first. "That's even nerdier than Annabeth's being an architect." Annabeth glared at her.

     Hermione glared at her, too. "And what do you do? Paint nails?" she asked.

     "I'm a model," said Vanessa.

     "For what? A circus?" replied Hermione. Vanessa also began to glare.

     "I would insult you back," said Vanessa, "But I just can't do as good a job as nature did."

     Hermione looked towards Annabeth, acting confused. "Am I wearing a mirror?" she asked.

     "I'd slap you for my sister," said Shannon, "But that would be child abuse."

     Everyone took a break from their glaring to stare at her. "Don't you mean animal abuse?" Annabeth asked.

     "Oh, right. That."

     "Are you always this dim, or are you just making an effort today?" Hermione asked.

     "At least our parents don't fix teeth for a living," said Shannon.

     "Yeah, yours just sit around sipping wine and finding ways to avoid paying taxes," said Hermione.

     "How dare you?" snapped Vanessa. "We don't have to sit here taking this from some bushy-haired beaver who can't afford proper clothes. Why don't you shock me and say something intelligent?"

     Hermione snapped.

     It wasn't that the remark was particularly insulting, it was actually pretty sad. But she was tired of endless attacks from her cousins over the years, like when they were six and Shannon had locked Hermione in the storage closet for four hours, or when Kyle had purposely ruined her favorite purple dress, or when Aunt Betsy had made her sit out on family game night because she had worn the wrong shade of blue.

     A lot of things happened at once. Hermione stomped her foot (childish, I know), and then Vanessa's umbrella snapped, fell, and hit her in the head. At the same time, her glass shattered and its contents stained her pure white bakini. An entire flock of seagulls flew in and dive bombed Vanessa, ruining her hair and scratching her arms.

     This was extreme in terms of accidental magic, and later on Hermione would be ashamed of what she did. But at that moment, she felt purely amused (and a bit smug).

     Both she and Annabeth were doubled over with laughter while Shannon was still screaming and Vanessa sobbed, trying to fix her hair. The rest of the family rushed over to see what all of the ruckus was about.

     Draco, realizing what had happened, had to stifle his laughter as Kyle rushed over to help his sister up. The adults all just looked confused. All except for Jean, who turned and raised her eyebrow at Hermione.

     "Sorry," she mouthed with an apologetic smile, though she wasn't actually.

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling does. I do not own Twilight, Stephanie Meyer does. I do not own Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan does.