C H A P T E R | F I V E

"CAN YOU BELIEVE that?" Shannon asked Vanessa. "That woman who dumped Annabeth with Frederick—not saying that I blame her—suddenly back and has apparently been in touch with Annabeth. Not only that, but she also owns this place, and Annabeth was the architect!"

     "Architect," grumbled Vanessa with a roll of her eyes. "I always knew she'd get some nerdy job, from the way Aunt Helen described her. Advanced classes and valedictorian and all of the other impressive things about the delinquent."

     The girls had decided that Annabeth was some kind of misfit, what with her running away so young, even though Helen had informed that Annabeth had been to some of the best schools in New York and never had to go to one of those special schools.

     "At least she doesn't have to rely on her parents' money to live." Hermione turned to see Percy glaring at the ones who were insulting his girlfriend. "She can actually make it out in the world, on her own. You two, though," he said, giving the Reynold girls a once-over, "Wouldn't last a day. I've met fish smarter than you."

     Draco snorted and Hermione smiled. She looked over to see Bella looking at Edward curiously, who seemed to be holding in a lot more laughter than the others and had a gleam in his eye that made Hermione think that he knew something more than the others.

.XxX.

HERMIONE HAD ALREADY taken a shower and was sitting in bed, reading—more like studying, actually—a book entitled, Celestia Warbeck: Singing Sensation Or Sly Sorceress of Secrets? by Rita Skeeter. She still hated that awful journalist, but Mrs. Weasley was obsessed with Warbeck and had gotten Hermione the book for Christmas, since she loved to read. Mrs. Weasley also often began conversations about the book with Hermione that turned into full-blown trivia sessions, and the younger witch really didn't want to be rude and make Mrs. Weasley think she didn't appreciate her gift. So on she read.

     "Celestia was best known for her hit single, "Clingy," which she wrote after a rather traumatizing break-up with a certain brother of the base player for the Weird Sisters."

     Speaking of clingy, Hermione had been watching a certain married couple who seemed a bit...obsessed with each other.

     Anywhere they went, Bella never left Edward's side, and they were always staring at each other and talking quietly and laughing at certain things that weren't necessarily funny. Inside jokes, maybe? Hermione knew that these breed of vampires, which were honestly more closely related to Verla, were extremely attached to their mate, but still...Carlisle and Esme didn't seem to have some unhealthy addiction to each other.

     There was also the fact that Bella never did anything unless Edward approved of it. Shopping day with the girls tomorrow? Better ask Edward. Buy more than one pair of shoes? Better ask Edward. Let the girls post a picture on Facebook that includes Bella? Better ask Edward.

     Bella struck Hermione as the kind of girl who, if the kitchen sink sprang a small leak, she would wait for her husband to get home to fix it, instead of checking and finding that all you have to do is tighten one small screw.

     Annabeth chose that minute to walk in, looking a tad angry. She huffed and went to her suitcase, rummaging around for a minute until finally giving up with an exasperated sigh and just rolling the bag into the bathroom.

     Hermione was naturally curious, but when she was younger she was never one to pry. However, a few years of being best friends with Harry Potter will cure you of that. She waited until she heard the shower water running, then went over to Annabeth's bed. On her nightstand was the photograph Hermione had seen the night before, a red Yankees cap, and a bottle of water.

     She quietly picked up the cap and examined it. The thing looked a bit old and frayed, but it was still in pretty good shape. Hermione looked at it for a moment more, then, without really thinking, put it on.

     The witch was only playing around, and she was just about to put it back, when she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Or, at least, a glimpse of where she should have been.

     Hermione stepped in front of the full-length mirror that came with the room and took a sharp intake of breath. She wasn't there.

     Slowly, Hermione lifted her hand above where she was pretty sure her head was and fumbled around until she was able to take the hat off. As soon as she did, she reappeared. Hermione stared at the hat, dumbfounded.

     It was like Harry's invisibility cloak. The thought made the witch's insides squirm.

     Why did Hermione's supposedly muggle step-cousin possess such a valuable magical item?

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling does. I do not own Twilight, Stephanie Meyer does. I do not own Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan does.