Chapter 10

It was 6:30 in the morning and I could no longer sleep. I had fallen asleep in my clothes from yesterday. “I suppose I should change,” I whispered so I didn’t wake up Tobias. I chose a black t-shirt and some jeans. I threw on my boots and walked to the door. Tobias wasn’t awake yet so I decided to see if Phoenix was up.
I walked up to her door. Locked. I didn’t want to wake her if she was up… I will use telekinesis! I concentrated on the door to open, it did. Luckily, it was quiet so not to wake up Phoenix or Sahara. However, Phoenix was already up and dressed. She was wearing a purple silk looking blouse and black shorts. She also decided to wear her boots. She walked up to me and quietly shut her door so she didn’t wake her sister. She looked relieved.
“Can’t sleep either?”
“No, do you want to go look at something with me?” She looked at me with curiosity in her eyes.
“Sure.” She trusted me but seemed shy. She didn’t know what to expect. I was glad.
“This way, Fee.”
“Fee?”
“Don’t like it? I am having trouble finding you a nickname.” I smiled.
“No. I love it. Everyone calls me Phoenix. That sounds beautiful, Zack.”
“I am glad you like it. Let's go!”
We walked down  the dark, narrow hallway and I was afraid she would panic again. I found her hand and took hold. She looked surprised.
“Are you okay?” I asked. She obviously didn’t know what I meant. “Last time you panicked. I wanted to make sure you were okay.” I said. I recognised the worry in my voice. She relaxed.
“Yes…” She slipped her hand out of my grasp. “Stay close.” she said. I began walking. 
We turned right and walked down a flight of long winding stairs. We took the first door on the left, Which was the elevator. We climbed in and I hit the button for floor one. I looked at Phoenix and she looked frightened. I walked to her and took her hand. “Phoenix? What is wrong? Fee? Phoenix?” I continued to whisper this as I laid her down on the floor. I sat down beside her. Her eyes were bugging out of her head. Her face was in a grimace but she wasn’t screaming like last time. I didn’t know what was wrong. I began to worry.
**********
I didn’t know what was happening. This wasn’t a regular panic attack. This time I had lost vision of the real world. I wasn’t at my school. I was in a dark forest. There was a dark figure in the distance. It began speaking but it wasn’t speaking English. It was speaking French. How did I know that? I haven’t studied any foreign languages.
It said, “ Je dois, Phoenix. Doit tuer, Phoenix. Ou est, Phoenix?” I don’t know how I knew that but I also knew that it meant, “I need, Phoenix. Must kill, Phoenix. Where is Phoenix?” Suddenly, the forest disappeared and I was back to Zack.
“Zack!” I gasped. He looked frightened.
“What happened, Fee?” He quickly said.
“I need to go to the headmistress.”
It turns out that Professor Rebekah was on the first floor and that we didn’t have to go far. I knocked on her door. It unlocked and opened.
“Phoenix? Zachariah? What on earth are you doing here?”
“Headmistress ma’am, I need to ask you something.”
“Come in dears.” We walked in and sat down in the open seats.
“Now, tell me what was so important.”
“First, I want to know the truth. How do you know me? Do you know my past? What makes me special? Why do you need me?”
Professor Rebekah looked at me. She was afraid of something. Of what? Me? My past?
“It is almost time for breakfast. I will make you a deal. I’ll tell you everything you need to know during your free period. Bring Sahara and Tobias. I am afraid this concerns the four of you. Let me call Tobias and tell him to bring Sahara to breakfast that you and Phoenix were called away. That way you can complete your job. Go on to breakfast.”
“Yes, ma’am.”