The barista and the soldier

A/N: Sometimes I think if I should do a long version of some of these pieces, opinions...

Sherlock was a barista in a costa coffee, his job was to create the hot drinks and beverages and then serve them, sometimes adding a little detail to the coffees froth or drawing pictures into it.

He enjoyed his job, he found it simple and he enjoyed the easy, relaxed atmosphere of the cafe, that was until an ex army doctor strolled in ordering a hot mocha that he suddenly felt butterflies and goosebumps prickle at his skin.

The Doctor had short blonde silver hair, he was probably half a foot shorter than Sherlock but he had a broad build and appeared to be quite strong. Sherlock scanned him over from the way he walked, swung his shoulders, one was injured whilst fighting, slight limp, psychosomatic, about five years older than himself, he was 24, the Doctor was about 29.

By the label on his briefcase he worked at Bart's hospital, he was also called John. John Watson. He was at the counter when Sherlock made his final deduction.

"Bi" he muttered quietly to himself with a small smile.

"Sorry, what?" John asked, his voice soft like how he appeared.

"Sorry, I mean-- Hi!" Sherlock quickly fixed his mistake and smiled up at the doctor.

He could feel his own heart accelerating and from the reflection in the metal milk jug, his pupils were dilated too, he looked closely at John who's own eyes seemed dilated but it was hard to tell.

"Can I get a hot mocha please?" John asked suddenly, snapping Sherlock out of his inspection.

"Oh yes sure, that will be £2.49" Sherlock said as politely as he could, keeping his voice to its usual baritone and trying not to get too excited.

John already had the money at hand and Sherlock held his hand out, palm up, as John laid the money into his hand, Sherlock could feel John's pulse on his fingertips against his wrist.
Increased as much as his.

"Interesting--" he whispered to himself as he opened the till and dropped the money into the appropriate places. He looked up at John who was smiling shyly, looking down at his feet.

Sherlock made his order, taking careful time in writing his phone number into the froth, he drew a small signature of "SH" and then turned back to the counter where John was waiting.

"John" Sherlock called politely, and John's head shot up to make eye contact with him. He then stepped up, took his coffee with a smile and went to sit down at the window with it.

Sherlock watched discreetly as John took the lid off his cup and how he blushed at what he saw, he made eye contact with John again and felt his own face heat at what he had just done. He continued to watch as John dug out his phone, a blackberry, easy to use for work, and put the number into his phone before drinking his coffee.

Sherlock then went back to his job, making orders and coffees, mixing cocoa and coffee, espresso and milk. He felt his phone buzz in his back pocket and quickly slipped it out, his iPhone was a bit beaten on the edges but the screen was fine still. He saw a new message from an unknown number, he swiped it to view and read the message.

Hey sweetie-JW

Sherlock blushed and quickly typed a message back, before skipping his phone back into his pocket, double checking it was in silent.

Hi, although you know I'm working right?-SH

He looked up at John who had his phone laying on the table next to his drink. John smiled wider when his phone made a small flashing notification and clicked it on, reading then typing back a reply.

When do you stop working, SH?-JW

In half an hour-SH

Sherlock was quite happy with how things were going, he didn't even have to try. He felt his phone buzz again and smiled as he took it out discreetly.

Good, I'll wait for you. So is it Sam, Simon, Steve, etc?-JW

If your trying to guess my name, not even close :'>-SH

Did you just send a smiley face? ;)-JW

maybe-SH

Sherlock tucked his phone away and looked at his watch, his shift ended in five minutes, he began to tidy the workspace and take off his cap, once the five minutes had passed, he untied his apron and hung it up in the back room, undid his shirt buttons on his uniform and grabbed a black coffee two sugars before heading into the cafe and slipping into the seat opposite John.

"Hello" he said quietly, he felt shy and nervous, but when John looked up at him, the warm smile he sent him made the butterflies settle slightly so he felt more relaxed.

"Hello S.H, what is your name anyway?" John asked, popping the buttons on the lid of his coffee cup.

"Oh, um, Sherlock" he replied with a nervous chuckle. "Sherlock Holmes"

"Well then Sherlock Holmes, wanna go out with me?"