Harddrive

Sherlock lay In bed, thinking, had he been wrong, he wasn't sure. He'd been ecstatically happy but is that truly enough of an excuse. The doctor had done it to Rory. He'd been happy. He'd solved the case. And he'd been ecstatic.

Was that enough of an excuse to have kissed John Watson. Fully. On the lips. And then pulled back to find John. Frozen. Unblinking. Staring.

I can honestly say
You've been on my mind
Since I woke up today
I look at your photograph all the time
These memories come back to life
And I don't mind

In the 'John' wing of his mind palace and he could see pictures of Johns face plastering the walls, but the face after Sherlock kissed him was something he wanted to delete. That wasn't a memory he wanted his first kiss to be. A moment of excitement lead to less inhibitions and he just went on and did something he planned to work up too if ever at all.

He'd royally screwed up. 

I remember when we kissed
I still feel it on my lips
The time that you danced with me
With no music playing
I remember the simple things
I remember till I cry
But the one thing I wish I'd forget
The memory I wanna forget
Is goodbye

He remembered when he had to say goodbye to John, he remembered his face then, from a distance but he could see it twisting and comforting through the pain, when he saw a close view. He wished he could delete it. You can't delete pain. Turns out to be impossible.

I woke up this morning
And played our song
And through my tears I sang along
I picked up the phone and then
Put it down
'cause I know I'm wasting my time
And I don't mind

And the song he thought was for the woman but was made for John and played when he felt John reject him again. He pushed the sadness aside. Maybe John would change his mind.

I remember when we kissed
I still feel it on my lips
The time that you danced with me
With no music playing
I remember the simple things
I remember till I cry
But the one thing I wish I'd forget
The memory I wanna forget

He wants to delete. Needs to delete. But now John has knocked on his bedroom door at 9 in the morning. He steps over the threshold and there's something in his eyes that Sherlock can't read through the glassy lens that took over his since he woke up. The tears that haven't yet fallen.

"Oh Sherl"  John whispers and in two strides is at Sherlock's bed side and pulling him into a bone crushing hug.

Suddenly my cell phone's blowing up
With your ring tone
I hesitate but answer it anyway
You sound so alone
And I'm surprised to hear you say

"I-i don't understand" Sherlock stutters confused when John pulls away slightly to look at his face.

"This isn't textbook Sherlock, it's not something you can just understand" John tells him, but he says it gently as though Sherlock could break. Would break.

You remember when we kissed
You still feel it on your lips
The time that you danced with me
With no music playing
You remember the simple things
We talk till we cry
You said that your biggest regret
The one thing you wish I'd forget
Is saying goodbye

Maybe it will all sort itself out. John will show him. His conductor of light. The shepherd to the flock. The end of the rainbow. The torch in the fog. The hound and the fox. The horse and the carriage. The engine to the car. The blood to the heart.

And then it all made sense.

Saying goodbye
Oh, Goodbye

He doesn't want to delete. He doesn't need to delete. Just to override.

[ERROR]