Practice makes perfect

They had been practicing for over a week now, they loved every moment, Scotland Yard was having a celebration, a party amongst all the detectives and workers and Greg had invited them, and also managed to trick them into a dance that was being held to raise money for a charity.

"Left foot there, then right, see John your getting it" Sherlock encouraged as he carefully watched John's feet gliding against his own, "you've only stood on my foot twice, that's not so bad"

"I have two left feet Sherlock, I'm surprised I haven't fallen over yet" John said with a chuckle, looking back at Sherlocks face that somehow made him feel calm and collected and his steps flow even smoother like water.

They were having one final test run before the dance they had to attend in the evening, they were already dressed but had left their suit jackets until when they were planning to leave.

"Right, what time have we got to be there by?" John asked, checking his watch to see it was already half six.

"We have to be there at seven" Sherlock said after a few seconds.

"We need to go, now" John exclaimed, running to his room to grab the suit jacket and shrug it onto his shoulders before quickly tying the new leather shoes Sherlock had purchased for him.

He finally rushed back into the living room but stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of Sherlock who began to blush slightly under John's impressed stare. "Wow, you look--"

"What?" Sherlock asked, his voice soft and quiet, making him appear timid and afraid.

"You look stunning" John breathed, taking in Sherlocks perfectly cut tux and suit, the glittering black dance shoes shining in the lamp light. He looked back up at Sherlocks face, curls framing it perfectly, cheekbones soft yet sharp and glimmering eyes that almost drew John's attention away from the pink blush tinting his cheekbones.

"We-we better um go" Sherlock stuttered, slipping his phone into his pocket before heading towards the door and opening it for John who headed down the stairs and then opened the other door for Sherlock to pass first.

They raced to the party, jumping out the cab, tailcoats flying and patent shoes tapping a rhythm as they ran into the room, grins plastered across their reddened faces.

"Your late" Greg pointed out but smiled all the same.

"Fashionably" Sherlock said with a smirk at John who returned the smile.

"Your up in a bit" Greg said with a smile at the two, he himself was wearing a different suit from his normal work attire with a deep red tie.

"Come along John" Sherlock said softly, leading them towards the dance floor under disco lights where others were already gathering preparing cameras and holding champagne glasses.

The music started up and John took Sherlocks hands as he had been taught and they began to glide along the room, tailcoats swirling, Sherlocks black and John's white, blending together in the greens, reds and blues of the lights.

They continued to step along, locked eyes and smiles across their lips, the song was halfway through and they were even more into it, forgetting everyone else in the room, it felt like when they had been practicing back home at Baker Street but this time John was in control.

John was controlling what way they went, he was the lead, the mans role between the usual woman and man dance, so John took it to his advantage, he held his arm up that was holding Sherlocks hand and Sherlock understood clearly, doing a pirouette, tailcoats flashing and curls flying as he let out a small giggle when John pulled him back against him so there chest were touching.

"Your beautiful, do you know that?" John whispered, perfectly forgetting all the cameras and eyes that ogled at them, bets being made in corners of the room. But Sherlock for once didn't see this, he only saw John and how John made a small smile creep up his face along with the glowing blush that could be of been from the fresh night air or the lighting but John knew.

The song came to an end, building the tempo up to a climax and although it wasn't rehearsed, John knew what he was doing, like instinct, it felt as natural as breathing, he pulled Sherlock close up to him and wrapped an arm round the back of the taller mans shoulders.

Sherlock looked at John uncertainly but John could see the trust that glittered in his eyes, those pearlescent grey blue eyes. John slowly dipped Sherlock backwards, his right hand coming to lift up Sherlocks right leg so that he relied entirely on John's strength to keep him from falling painfully to the floor. Only the tip of Sherlocks left shoe touched the ground.

John looked at Sherlock for assurance and recieved a tiny nod before bending down and pressing his lips gently to Sherlocks, who lifted his left arm up to let his fingertips trail the skin across John's jawline then past his ear and carding into his short blonde and grey hair. John smiled into the kiss before lifting Sherlock back up, the room was silent but for their heartbeats and the sound of a glass shattering before the room erupted into applause. Wolf whistles and shouts of glee that finally the detective wouldn't have to pine but instead be allowed to fall in love with the army doctor.

"Would you like to go home now?" John asked gently, stroking a thumb across Sherlocks cheekbone.

"Anything you like, captain" Sherlock said with a small smirk.

"Posh boy" John replied fondly before kissing him again and running a hand trough the soft chocolate curls.