Chapter Six | Pleasant Surprise

---

I go into the living space to ask Toriel if we could explore downstairs. She's reading her book again, in her armchair by the fireplace.

"Mom? Can Frisk and I explore downstairs?" My voice echoes, the sound of the fire crackling is heard. It's so quiet. "No, I am sorry, but you are not allowed downstairs. I know the Ruins are small, but you will be safe here. Safe from them." "Who's them?" "... Excuse me, children, for I must go do something. Please remain here." She left, as if in a hurry, almost seeing the look of guilt on her face. Frisk comes in. "Sis, what's up with Goat Mama? Why is she going downstairs?"

"I don't know.. I think she's angry or something...." ".. we need to go down there." "Okay..." Frisk and I went down the stairs, into a more omenous purple hallway. Toriel was standing in the corridor.

"You want to explore.. What an excuse." She scoffs, moving forward. We follow her, wherever this thing leads.

"You just wanted to leave me here.. just like the others..." The others. Others??? There were other children that fell down here? She proceeds to avoid eye contact with us, only walking forward through the hallway.

"I know this is a very small place and that you must have somewhere to be yourselves but..." She pauses infront of a big purple door with the same crest on her dress, takes a deep shaky breath and turns around to look at us.

"I just... do not prefer to lose two more of my children in one night.. not like before.. not again.." She mutters. Her eyes are teary and reddish. Was she.. crying before? And she had actual children before us?

"Not ever." She sheds possibly another tear, before looking away.

"Listen, if you really want to get to the surface, I want you to do one final test. Prove to me that you two you are strong.. Strong enough to survive." The room turns into another battle scene. The stats appear and the buttons appear too.

We most certainly do not want to fight her, and ACTing seems irrelevant now.. so what do we do? I let Frisk decide, and being the person she is, she spares Her. On the first turn, sparing.. that's a first for me.

"..." Toriel does not speak. Fireballs rain from the top of the box. Me looking at patterns and what-not, I see places that the souls can escape. I quickly signal Frisk, and she dodges them expertly. My soul still won't budge, so I just let the pain stay. -6HP. I need to heal.. I eat one of the Monster Candies. My HP is up to 20 now, that's good. Frisk spares again.

"....." Toriel still says nothing, but I can see a glint of guilt in her eyes. More fireballs rain from the top of the box. I have to take more hits again, and it's getting harder to not show fear or signs of pain. I'm at 8HP, and if I get hit just a few more times before my next turn, I'm dead. Frisk spares Toriel again.

"........." Toriel is silent. The fireball attacks begin to slow, but that doesn't mean my health can keep up. Her turn is over, I'm at 2HP left. My arms sting and it smells like burnt flesh. Frisk gives me a look of concern. I eat a Monster Candy, 12HP now. Frisk spares again.

"I know you need to leave but..." No attack. It goes straight to our turn. Frisk spares her.

"We can have a good life here.." She smiles weakly, the smile fading as fast as her turn.