Chapter I-The First Day

Merlin, if this day was any indication as to how the year was going to go, Draco would never get a minute to himself. He had seen several students who had come in with injuries from poorly performed spells, exploding potions, and of course, student-produced hexes. At least he didn't have to deal with Quidditch injuries. Yet.

"Out, everyone. If you are not a patient, then I want you all in your dorms." Draco turned to see Harry enter the Hospital Wing, giving the command. He seemed to be carrying a student in his arms. 

"What happened?" Harry deposited the student on the bed before turning to answer the question. 

"Self-inflicted wounds, Draco. They did this to themselves. I did what I could, but they need more. Harry had drawn the curtains around the bed and seemed to be purposely protecting the identity of the student from their peers. He also seemed very distraught. 

"Alright. I will do what I can." Draco peered into the curtain to see the student seemed to be only a third year. They had on a school uniform sans robes, which were soaked in blood. Draco didn't recognize them. "Who found the boy?" Draco had now lowered his voice so the other students couldn't hear the conversation, as he evaluated the unconscious student.

"I did. I found him in the bathroom. It's already been cleaned up by Neville, who was with me at the time." 

"Do you know what spell the boy used?" Draco had a sneaking suspicion that Harry's answer would mirror his thoughts. 

"Draco, you know I don't need to answer that question for you." There was a profound sadness in his voice.

"How do you know it was self-inflicted?" Draco was unsure, most people don't cast dark spells on themselves to bleed to death in the bathroom.

"He just cried and told me he was sorry that he had to do it." Now the former Auror was tearing up. "I found out his name, right before he collapsed. Scorpius Rookwood."

"Alright, well, I'll let you know when he wakes, but you have classes today. Has Flint been notified?" Harry nodded before giving Draco a hug as he departed. 

"Draco, I was informed that you had Mr. Rookwood here, and what he did." Draco just nodded the Headmistress. "I think it would help you understand if I informed you that he received word of his mother's passing this morning. She was the only family the boy had." Draco nodded again at the Headmistress

"Thank you, ma'am." And with that, she was gone. Draco went back to checking on his students. After releasing all but the one boy, he let out a long sigh, wondering what he was going to do about this. He wasn't sure what the boy was going to do now, or where he was going to go. How was he supposed to help a boy, who obviously thought he was beyond help? But his thoughts were interrupted when the one occupied bed began to stir.