Chapter Five

Katrina sat down with her head tucked between her knees. She didn't know how long she had stayed in the case, but she was bored. Really bored. Tears continually streamed down her cheeks, and her mind couldn't help thinking how this trip was terrible. It was separating her uncle and Kat, and put her trust skills put into extreme tests. She didn't know how much she could handle. I hope he's back soon.

---
Goldstein' Apartment

"Is that you, Tina?" A voice called as Tina, Newt and Jacob ascended the steps to a drab staircase. They froze.

"Yes, Mrs Esposito." Tina called nervously.

"Are you alone?" Mrs Esposito said again.

"I'm always alone, Mrs Esposito." Tina said, holding her breath. If it weren't for the current situation, Newt would have been sympathetic.

The landlady didn't answer again, allowing the three to hurry into the room.

Tina led Newt and Jacob onto a little apartment. Newt looked around curiously. It was a typical witch's house, with evidences of magic all around the apartment. The laundry was washing itself, the broom was sweeping the already clean floor, and a floating watering can was drizzling some roses near the window with water. Newt then caught sight of another lady, bearing some resemblance to Tina. While Tina had dark hair, the other woman had wavy, blonde hair. Newt then turned away, feeling a rush of guilt as he began looking out the window. I need to find my creatures! Newt didn't seem to realize that the blonde lady had started speaking to Tina and Jacob.

"Teenie-you brought men home?"

"Gentlemen, this is my sister. You want to put something on, Queenie?" Tina said as she rearranged some pillows. Newt turned around and saw, mortified, that Queenie wasn't wearing anything but a silk slip.

Queenie waved her arm, unconcerned. "Oh, sure." She raised her wand and ran it up the dummy. The clothes magically ran up her body. Newt glanced at Jacob and saw him gaping at her. He rolled his eyes slightly.

"So who are they?" Queenie asked. Newt looked at the door. Perhaps he could leave without them noticing. He slowly began moving towards the direction of the door.

"That's Mr Scamander." Tina said causing Newt to shoot his head up. He nodded his head awkwardly. "He's committed a serious infraction of the National Statute of Secrecy-"

"Ooh! He's a criminal?" Queenie said, looking rather...impressed. Newt turned red.

"Uh huh. And this is Mr. Kowalski, he's a No-maj." Tina continued, using the ridiculous term Americans had came up with.

"A No-maj?" Queenie suddenly looked worried. "Teen - what are you up to?"

"He's sick." Tina said, trying to reassure her. "It's a long story. Mr Scamander has lost something , I'm going to help him find it." Newt turned nervous again. He had lied about just the Niffler getting loose...she didn't need know that. Newt felt relief when Jacob suddenly staggered, taking the centre of attention. Queenie rushed towards him as Tina hovered, worried.

"You need to sit down, honey." Queenie says as she pushes him gently into the sofa. Newt simply observed. "Hey - he hasn't eaten all day - aw, that's rough. He didn't get the money he wanted for his bakery. You bake, honey? I love to cook!" Newt stared at her, not because of her interest in baking but because she could read minds!

"You're a Legilimens?" Newt exclaimed.

"Uh huh, yeah. But I always have trouble with your kind. Brits. It's the accent." Queenie said fiddling with her wand.

Jacob looked horrified when Newt turned to see his reaction. "You can read minds?!"

Queenie giggled as she turned back towards him. "Aw, don't worry, honey. Most guys think what you were thinking, first time they see me. Now, you need food." Newt saw a flash outside the window and watched closely. He bit his lip to stop from making a sound when he saw his Billwig fly by. He started moving towards the door. Newt had just put his hand on the doorknob when Queenie called.

"Hey Mr. Scamander, do you prefer pie or strudel?" Queen said artlessly.

Newt removed his hand, embarrassed. "I really don't have a preference." He muttered. He saw Tina shoot him a look of disappoint and another emotion he couldn't quite identify? Hurt?

Trying to cut the tense moment, Queenie continued her talking. "You prefer strudel, huh, honey? Strudel, it is!" Jacob nods vigorously. Queenie giggled. With a flick of her wand, she sent a bunch of ingredients into the air. It formed a beautiful strudel, decorated intricately with roses and powdered sugar. Tina lit candles with a spark from her wand and gestured to the table.

"Well, sit down, Mr Scamander. We're not going to poison you." Newt heard a small squeak and looked down at his pocket. His Bowtruckle, Pickett had poked his head out. Newt looks back at the table. Jacob shot him a subtle look and jerked his head at the table. Newt sighed and sat down. There was nothing to lose now.

~~~
Kat curled up, hungry, and tired. She closed her eyes as she fell asleep in her small tree house. A tear slipped down her cheek as her hope for her daddy to come for her lowered.