Chapter 12

3rd person

The day begins with a loud, angry shriek echoing through the hunters' camp site. Some don't wake up but the ones who do muffle their laughter when they see a very wet and drenched Daughter of Zeus. Thalia's hair is already starting to curl at the ends and her mascara is running down her cheeks in thin, black streams.

"Perseus Jackson! You're dead, KelpHead!" Her eyes flash dangerously and sparks dance at her fingertips. She starts marching angrily toward Percy who is too busy laughing to care about the threat that has just been delivered to him. Thalia stops to gape. It's been so long since she's seen Percy laugh like that; happy and carefree. He only ever laughs around her and even then his laughs had always held a kind of sadness; a bone-deep tiredness. Thalia feels her own lips lift up in response.

A moment later Percy yelps, "Hey! Not fair! I wasn't ready!," his hair is standing on its ends and he looks shell-shocked (pun totally intended). Thalia smirks, "Run, Jackson, Run."

And run Percy does. Pretty soon the entire camp is awake to watch the two cousins play-fight each other. Their fight takes them a around the camp, waking up the ones who were sleeping and lasts for about 10 minutes before Thalia tackles Percy to the ground from behind and pins him down, "Do you yield, Jackson?" She hisses, playfully. Before he could answer though, another soft voice cuts through the air, "Well, as amusing as this is..." Both the demigods scramble up as the voice continues, "We have somewhere to be."

Percy bows his head low, "Lady Artemis, I meant no disrespect-" Percy starts. Artemis, in her 12 year old form, only smiles. Amusement and something akin to fondness shines in her eyes, "Nothing to apologise for, Perseus. But we do need to get going." Percy's mood shifts when he remembers what they were going to do today. Thalia notices and she throws an arm over his shoulder to drag him away, after bowing down to the Goddess of the Hunt. They both disappear into their respective tents and emerge a few moments later, both in their usual hunter/huntress attire. Artemis gives the rest at camp instructions about staying put and leaves Crystal as the Acting Lieutenant since she was second in command anyway. Crystal ruffles Percy's hair and gives them a two-finger salute before the trio sets off.

The three of them reach a clearing In the woods and Artemis holds out her arms to them, they both latch onto them, one arm each, Percy albeit hesitantly. A swift breeze glides over them and When they open their eyes they see the familiar golden surroundings. The last time Percy had been here, he had come to request the Gods to kill him. It seems like aeons ago but it's been just 2 months. Artemis motions them to follow her and they do. Many of the naiads and minor demigods freeze to gape at them, specifically at Percy. Some are brave enough to wave and Percy waves back, like a child whilst Thalia graces (A.N: okay, pun totally, definitely not intended, it just happened I swear!) them all with a smile. Olympus doesn't look any different, it's still gleaming gold and Annabeth's touch is seen in every inch. The reminder of Annabeth brings Percy a dull ache but he shakes it off before he could dwell on it.

"We're here," Artemis says. The Goddess has reverted back to her original height, tall, regal and intimidating. They've stopped at a secluded area, some distance away from where they entered. A cloud nymph stands guard and bows to Artemis, Percy vaguely thinking that she looked familiar. "Has the prisoner given you any trouble, Mellie?" Mellie shakes her head, "No, M'lady. She has been unusually silent compared to the other day." Artemis nods and the nymph moves away to lead them down a long winding corridor which ends in a silver barred gate with no lock.
Through the bars Thalia sees her former friend and associate, Phoebe. Thalia thinks she looks too comfortable inside a prison. Hades, she doesn't even look guilty or seems to be feeling any other emotion.

Phoebe eyes Percy with barely concealed distaste, grudgingly tilts her head to Artemis and doesn't even acknowledge Thalia. A tense silence falls over the group. Percy's the first to talk; he turns to Artemis, "M'lady, if I could speak with you alone for a moment?" Artemis nods while Thalia looks confused. She watches as they both retreat to a corner and talk.

Thalia turns back to Phoebe and asks one thing, "Why?" Phoebe sneered, head tilted up as a sign of resistance, "I have nothing to tell you, Thalia. I did what I had to do," Thalia opens her mouth to snap but is stopped by Artemis.

"Release the prisoner, please."

Percy doesn't know who looks more surprised. Thalia or Phoebe. He would have laughed if he didn't feel Thalia's gaze burning holes into the side of his face. He turns his attention back to the cloud nymph who's about to unlock the steel gate. Artemis turns to Percy; there's worry in her eyes and admiration too, he thinks but he might be mistaken.

"Are you sure this is what you want, Perseus?"
Thalia looks at him with imploring eyes, begging him to say something. Phoebe still looks shocked.
He'd thought about his decision. If he was going to get better, if he was going to forgive himself, he would have to let go first. Besides, he really didn't see any point in punishing Phoebe. His mother had taught him manners and he was going to stick by them till he died.

"I'm sure, M'lady,"

~*~

The walk back is silent. There's a dangerous air of violence hanging around Thalia while Phoebe walks ahead of them. Artemis had dropped them off at a clearing near the camp site and had been summoned for a task a Olympus. Percy wants the silence to end; he's never been good at keeping quiet. "Thals?"
The daughter of Zeus doesn't respond but inclines her head to show that she was listening. Percy fidgets with Riptide (in pen form) before he asks, "Are you mad at me?" His question is childish and silly but he can't help but ask.

Thalia sighs, some of the tension leaves her shoulders as she turns to face Percy, "I don't know what to think, Percy! Really, I don't. How could you just agree to let her go?" They stop walking and Thalia sighs again, frustration dancing in her eyes. Percy sighs too, because really, how can he explain?. Instead he asks her, "Do you trust me?" He looks at her with determination shining in his eyes and Thalia's taken aback, by the question and the emotion she sees in his eyes.

She doesn't hesitate to wrap her arms around him in a tight hug, his head barely fitting under her head, "Of course I do, you moron," she pulls back to look at him in the eyes, "I just worry, you know? I worry that you might get hurt again and..." Thalia's stunned to feel a suspicious burn behind her eyes and hopes her eyes don't look to glassy. Percy looks up at her, waiting for her to finish what she started; there's so much trust in his eyes that she wants to shake his shoulders and yell at him, You're too pure for this world. You trust too easily.

Instead, she grips his shoulders and says firmly, "You're my brother, Percy and I hate to see you hurt. But if you think this will help you move on and be happy then so be it," Percy smiles at that and opens his mouth to reply but Thalia's not done. "But if she opens her mouth to say anything, anything at all, I swear to Zeus that I won't hold myself back from killing her."

Percy laughs at that and they pull apart but keep their shoulders brushing as they start walking again, "Never knew you were such a sap, Thals," he teases before he takes off.

"Why! You brat! Get back here!"
--------------------------------------------------
Hello my lovely readers! (If any of you have still stuck around) First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY! *throws around confetti* I hope this year will be better than the last and that all of you are happy and in good health!

Secondly, I owe ya'll a huge apology. I tried really hard to update but my writer's block was bad and school was killing me and life sucked in general but I'm just making excuses now. I'm truly sorry for making y'all wait. Thanks to those who ate still reading this. The book will end in probably 4 more chapters. I love you guys 💙 hope y'all liked this chapter. And one more important thing,

Love Yourself.

Peace!