Chapter 14

TW: Mentions of discomfort with eating

Selene

It's been two weeks since Selene came to the Hunter's camp and everything around camp was calm but also not at the same time. One morning she saw Thalia, the spawn of Zeus, throw her shoe (a black combat boot) at someone's head; the other day someone set their tent on fire. So yeah, things were interesting. As for Percy and her, they grew closer each day. He wasn't a very hard person to read and was fairly honest with Selene about everything. But he did have his moments. Like now.

Percy has his arms crossed and is glaring down at Selene.
I don't want to eat. Why can't you just understand that?

Selene rolls her eyes. I understand very well that mortals need nourishment to stay alive, Percy. Do you want me to run out and get Thalia?

The mention of his cousin does have an effect on Percy but instead of giving in, he sniffs, turns his face away from her and says out loud, "Yeah, go ahead. I am not afraid of her," Selene growls in warning and Percy bares his teeth back at her. Honestly, this boy can be so difficult sometimes.

Percy scowls, I heard that!

Selene lifts her head up, haughty, You were meant to.

She stalks out moments later, not waiting for Percy's reaction. She knows exactly where the daughter of Zeus is. She hates to do this but she hasn't seen her human eat anything in a while and it's pretty concerning. Selene doesn't really know where Percy's aversion to food comes from, she hasn't been made privy to the reason and as much as it frustrates her, she knows now is not the time to ask him.
Selene finds Thalia in her tent, just getting ready to leave. The huntress turns and takes a step back in obvious surprise. "Selene," She crouches down to tie up her boots (yes, the same combat boots) "What brings you here?" Selene cocks her head to the side and narrows her eyes. Thalia mimics her gesture, tilting her head to the side. They stare at each other.

A minute passes.

Then Thalia stands up, "Ah, he's not eating again, is he?" Selene makes a noise in the back of her throat in agreement. Thalia sighed. Her hair was longer now, the fringes falling into her eyes, the electric blue starting to fade. She looked every bit the Lieutenant she was and the intimidating sister Selene had seen her act as. But she also looks fragile, like Percy's pain was her own pain. 

"Thanks for finding me, Sel," she says, running a hand over Selene's head before stepping out, Selene at her heels. 

They pause in front of the distinctly coloured tent. 

Thalia looks at her.

"Do you want to come with me or..?"

Selene tilts her head, huffs out a sound, a mixture of a growl and a whine. Thalia nods like she understands and raises the flap of the tent to let her in before following her.

Inside, Percy has retreated to his bed, huddled under the comforter. Thalia sighs again. 

Percy. You're behaving like a child, little one. 

On the bed, Percy pointedly turns his back to them. 

Selene rolled her eyes. Before she could decide the next course of action, Thalia sits on the bed, near Percy's curled up form. She looks at Selene who doesn't hesitate to jump onto the bed, twisting into a ball under her arm. 

"Percy," Thalia starts, placing her hand on where his legs would be under the duvet. Percy doesn't say anything but Selene can feel that he's aware and is listening. 

"Please let us help you," 

Selene looks at her in surprise but Thalia keeps her eyes fixed on her cousin, continues, "I don't know how hard it must be for you and I won't claim to understand but I want to help you," she looks at Selene, turns back, "We want to help you, Perce."

Silence reigns for a few minutes. And then-

"Okay."

It's whispered and Selene only hears it because of her superior wolf hearing. 

Thalia's shoulders slump in obvious relief, "Okay, thank you. Now why aren't you eating?" she asks.

The duvet tightens up. I can't eat.

"I can't eat," Percy says and Thalia freezes. She'd started running her hand up and down the duvet, in an attempt to comfort whatever turmoil Percy was feeling. 

"What do you mean you can't?"

Percy huffs, "It means I can't eat. It means eating makes me sick," a pause "It means I hate eating."

A myriad of emotions chase each other across Thalia's face before she settles into a calm expression, "Can you tell me why?" her tone is careful, like she's talking to a wounded animal and not a twenty something year old. 

Percy makes a frustrated noise, like he can't quite articulate his thoughts, "I guess it makes me feel...guilty? or I don't know, like I don't deserve to eat," he must see Thalia opening her mouth because he hurries on, "But ever since...Tartarus, I just," he sighs, "I just don't like eating and somewhere along the way, my body adapted to all the meals I skipped and now I can't keep anything down," he shrugs, the duvet shifting around with all the fidgeting he was doing, "At least not for long anyway."

There's a long pause during which Selene can hear Percy's mind going panicpanicpanic.

Shh, it's okay, little one. Thank you for telling us.

"Thanks for telling us, Perce," Thalia says, looking as if she were about to cry. 

This time the silence stretches for a while, a comfortable silence.

"Okay, okay, we can work with this," Thalia mutters under her breath. She turns to face Percy and then says, "We can start small, okay? How about just some chicken soup today?" the blanket shifts and Percy emerges from under, his hair an untameable mess, eyes bleary, dark circles, the whole nine yards of sadness and misery shrouding him. His eyes are bright though, like the colour of water in just beneath the surface of it (how does Selene know? it's because she's been to a lot of different places in her lifetime and Percy's eyes remind her of the beach on a particularly good day). 

Percy looks really hesitant for a moment before he nods, "Okay, I can try that," he looks conflicted for a split second before he says in a quiet voice, "What if I throw that up too?" 

"Then it's okay. We'll take this at your own pace, Percy?" Thalia says, face determined and voice strong. Percy sighs then and his shoulders slump imperceptibly.

 When he looks up, there's a steely glint of purpose in his eyes and for the first time in a long time, he looks like he's gonna be okay. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! Oh man, It's been over a year since I updated and I don't even know where this book is going anymore. I promised I'd finish at least one book in all the 6 I started but it's so hard.

I hate letting down the people who still think there's something worthwhile in this book so I pulled myself together and somehow finished a chapter that's been in my drafts for over a year now. 

I sincerely thank every person who takes the time to vote, comment and read this lousy fanfiction; y'all deserve an award for your patience and kindness. 

I'm not gonna promise you that I'll update very soon but I will update, when I feel inspired next. 

Thank you for reading and supporting me!

I hope everyone is keeping safe, healthy and happy. If you're going through a tough time, hang in there! it'll get better soon because you're stronger than you think.

Love you guys! byeee~💙