Chapter 13

???

Winter is here and I have no place to hide. Really, you'd think that someone like me would enjoy winter, but I just don't. Winter means more trouble and I've been hidden for so long that every winter brings about new threats. But something in me told me that this winter was going to be different. I could feel it. I wound my way through the forest carefully. If someone were to track me, they'd easily find me, since the snow made my tracks as clear as daylight. Suddenly, I heard a click and I looked down in horror. Oh, dear Gods above. This is not my day. I'd been so caught up in covering my tracks that I had failed to scope my surroundings. And I'd stepped on a pair of metal jaws, nasty and brown with rust. If I lifted my foot then the jaws would snap shut and my foot would be crushed. And I'd probably die. This day is going splendidly. Just then I heard the bushes rustle and I could sense movement in the trees. I looked up, my eyes scanning the surroundings, teeth bared in a snarl. A cloaked figure tore through the overgrowth and I lift my foot forward, forgetting all about the trap. The metal jaws sink into my foot with a sickening squelch and I howled. Oh, Lupa, have mercy on my soul. Pain spreads through my body like fire and I whimpered. My vision turns hazy around the edges but I keep the open to see the cloaked figure come closer. I must have made some noise because the figure stretched their hands out in a placating manner, "Shh, shh, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you," I bared my teeth again and growled, not trusting the shady figure (ha, see what I did there? Shady cuz..okay nevermind). The figure stepped closer and I saw that it was a male, teenager probably. His hair was dusted with snow and he looked normal enough for me to lower my guard. Hmm, he actually looks pretty cool. The boy stopped, cocking his head to the side, confusion etched on his face. What the Hades. The boy took another step forward and I suddenly heard something, Woah. I blinked in surprise. Hello? The voice said inside my head said. I flinched. Great, all this cold has got to my head and I'm finally dying. This time the boy flinched and said, "Woah, is that you?". I tilted my head the side, What now?.

"I can hear you inside my head," he said, "Can you understand what I'm saying?".

Well, no duh, Sherlock, I rolled my eyes. Instead of being offended, the boy laughed, "Okay, buddy, relax. I'm gonna help you out of this, okay?" He crouched in front of me and reached out his hands, gently placing them on the metal jaws. I whimpered and the boy made soft cooing noises which sorta soothed me, alright it soothed me a lot okay?
"You ready?" He asked, looking straight into my eyes. They were an unusual shade of green (blue?) but I somehow felt like I could trust him, yeah, bro, let's do this, I nodded. He smiled faintly before the lines around his mouth tightened, "This is going to hurt so I'm sorry buddy," he said before he pried the trap open. I felt slight relief before the pain hit me and then I blacked out.

TIME SKIP

When I woke up, everything was warm. Like a cozy, sleepy warm. Ah, it's been ages since I felt this warm, I sighed. I didn't want to open my eyes yet because everything felt safe. Looks like someone's comfortable, a voice mused inside my head and I jolted. "Hey, hey, easy there," A hand tentatively rested on my head and I nudged into it eagerly. The now familiar laugh rang again and I growled. "You're not scary. At all" the boy said. What's your name mister? I keep calling you 'the boy' in my head and it's tiring. He laughed again (wow, he's a very happy person it seems) but this time I heard the laugh inside my head, My name's Percy. What's yours?". The hand started slowly stroking my head and I melted; I couldn't even feel the pain in my foot. Name's Selene. "Oooh, cool. Well Selene, you're safe here. I saved you and brought you to the hunters' camp. Your foot will heal soon so don't worry about that either," Percy said calmly. So I'm in Artemis's camp. Thank Gods. I finally opened my eyes to see that I was in a tent, probably because we were in the middle of the forest. A fleecy blanket was thrown over me and my head was settled on Percy's lap. So comfortable, damn. Percy chuckled, You're hilarious, Sel. I opened my mouth wide to yawn and my stomach grumbled. I might be slightly hungry. Percy gives me a look that says You think? I didn't even need to hear him in my head. I should explain this whole telepathy thing though. The only reason I'm this calm in a stranger's territory is because I've never spoken to anyone before. I mean telepathically (I can't talk normally either way so there's that). I'm a special kinda wolf, and only my true handler, or the person I'm supposed to protect can talk to me. So yeah, I've found him, or rather he found me. I blink out of the haze of thoughts as Percy stands up, holding me in his arms gently. I can already feel my foot healing but I knew I must have needed some medical help for that to happen. "Let's get you some food now," Percy says, stepping out. Outside, the air is chilly so I snuggle closer to Percy's warmth as he makes way to the bonfire where a group of hunters are stood. Oh, I know all about The Hunters of Artemis. I am a special wolf after all. Some hunters are huddled around the bonfire while The rest seemed to be doing other activities, spread out over the clearing. Two hunters spot us and come hurrying over. "How is she?" The black haired one with blue eyes asks. Zeus's kid, huh?. I don't expect an answer but I get one anyway, Yup, meet Thalia Grace, Sel. "She's doing great. Said she was hungry though so I thought I'd fix her something to eat." The tall blonde with gold green eyes gapes, "She can talk?" I look up to see Percy's response because I somehow knew he'd smirk, "Telepathically,".
"Damn, that's so cool," the blonde said and before I could ask for her name Percy says Her name's Crystal, daughter of Iris.

"Well, let's get her some food then," Thalia says and turns but Percy stops her, "Here, take her. She's still too weak to walk. And I'm not really hungry right now," he carefully hands me over to Crystal who takes me into her arms. She feels warm too but the safe warmth that Percy brought immediately recedes. Before Percy can leave, Thalia pulls him aside. They go ways away from us but my ears could still pick up their conversation.

"I thought it was getting better, Percy" Thalia's voice sounds concerned, which doesn't feel like something that happens often. Percy ducks his head and scuffs his feet on the ground, like a scolded child would, "It is. I just. I just don't feel like eating right now," he says weakly, like he's trying to make himself believe that. Thalia shakes her head and the smell of her worry permeates the air like an overpriced perfume. "You're not going to starve yourself, you hear me? I'll let you go now but you're eating with me later, got it?" Thalia says firmly, waits for Percy to nod and then pulls him into a hug before letting him go. I don't really understand what just happened but I guess I will find out in time. I watch Percy carefully as he heads back to the tent and he must feel my eyes on him because he turns and looks right at me, smiling impishly. I could sense his distress quite clearly but I decided to play along, Take care, Percy. Percy smiles wider, I will, Selene.