Masquerade Part 2

Although he tried his hardest Bruce had been whisked away by his colleagues and Iris was left alone. She always made sure to stay as close as she could, following them at a distance and staying in his line of sight, but she lost him in the crowd of people.

'Who would be stupid enough to try something with all of these people around?'

Some of the guests were still talking about the auction, stealing glances that they thought she wouldn't catch. Iris rolled her eyes and continued walking among the crowd, focusing on finding Bruce.

'Do you guys really have nothing better to do?'

Their stares and hushed conversations were beginning to make Iris anxious. She tried her best to ignore them and enjoy the rest of the party but their critical eyes seemed to follow her everywhere she went; she grabbed another glass of champagne and walked over to the orchestra. There she stood again lost in the music. The orchestra produced a slow and haunting tune.

"Care for a dance, doll?" She jumped almost spilling her drink. It was him; Iris quickly looked around for Bruce but he was nowhere to be seen. Her eyes floated back to the man, he stood there waiting expectantly. His mask was dark purple with intricate golden accents that flowed across his entire mask. She could only see his cold blue eyes through the mask, everything else was completely hidden.

She looked him up and down; he wore black and white oxfords that were shined to perfection, a tailed tuxedo jacket, and his hands were covered in pristine white gloves. He was much taller than her even in her heels.

There was a sense of familiarity to Iris as they stood there looking at each other. She hadn't realized that she'd zoned out until he spoke up.

"Doll." A gloved hand landed on her shoulder. Iris followed his hand as it ran down the length of her arm, her eyes fixated as he took her hand. His gloves were soft and warm in her hand, it was a comforting thought at how gentle he held her hand. She looked up at him meeting his gaze head on. His eyes bore into hers, making her feel like he knew everyone of her secrets. Then began to back away and she followed him with total abandon.

In the middle of the dance floor, he placed a possessive arm around her waist and took her hand in his and began to dance

In the middle of the dance floor, he placed a possessive arm around her waist and took her hand in his and began to dance. He was graceful in the way that he moved, his eyes never left hers as they moved together as one. There was something about this man that pulled her in, she couldn't look away and she didn't want to. He had her under his spell.

"Close your mouth, doll." He leaned in and whispered. Her cheeks blushed bright red as she shut her mouth and turned away in embarrassment.

"I am so sorry...I-I didn't mean to..." She trailed off unsure of what to say. It seemed that the moment was forgotten, he said nothing and continued to swing her around in front of the orchestra. Suddenly they stopped dancing in the middle of the song.

"Regretfully my sweet, I have business to attend to." The man stepped back holding onto her hand for a moment longer, he took a small bow and disappeared into the crowd of people. Iris stared after him, stunned that he'd just left her like that in the middle of their dance.