chapter fifty-five

The sound of quiet chatter was the first thing I heard when I woke up. My parents were at the foot of the bed, cooing over Matt and Nicole. I smile at them, my eyes are barely open, but they are open.

"Oh, sweetie." My mum rushed over to me and hugged me. "I'm so proud of you," she said quietly against my hair.

"Thanks mum." I wrap my arms around her. I looked over at my dad, who was holding Matt. When he lifted his head to look at me, he had tears in his eyes. "Daddy," I say softly.

My mum took Matt from his arms and he walked over to me. "I'm proud of you, Lani," he said softly, kissing my forehead and hugging me. I wrap my arms around him and hold him tight. "I feel too young to be having grandchildren," he said, chuckling lightly. Owen smiled at me when I looked over at him.

"You are too young daddy." I kiss his cheek. He squeezed me once before pulling away and looking over at Owen. I tensed, not knowing what he was going to say or do. I play with my hands and bite my lip. My dad pulled Owen into a hug and said something quietly to him. I raised my eyebrows as I looked over at my mum, who shrugged and grinned at me. Why was I left in the dark often? Nicole starts crying and I get her out of her crib.

"Hey, baby," I murmured to her, gently rocking her. Her crying slowly stops. I kissed her head and leant back against Owen. He kisses my head and smiles down at us.

"What did he say to you?" I asked Owen quietly while my dad hugged my mum and looked down at Matt.

"I'll tell you later." he whispers kissing my cheek. I pouted but nodded. "Dont worry Lani-bear."

"Please, Owen."

He sighed. "Later, promise."

"Fine." I mimicked his sigh and grinned. I lean into him and watch as Nicole starts to fall asleep again. Owen ran his fingers through my hair as we looked down at her. My parents put Matt in Owen's arms and said they were getting coffee and whether wanted anything. I smile at Matt and kiss his little forehead. I felt my heart tug as Matt's small hand closed around Owen's finger. I beam and feels tears coming down my cheeks.

Owen looked up from Matt at me. "Hey, why are you crying?" He asked softly.

"I'm really happy."

He smiled and kissed me slowly. I got too caught up in the kiss that I didn't realize the nurse was standing at the end of the bed. I smile at Owen and the look to the nurse.

"I was just coming to check on you," she told me, looking at Owen then back at me.

"I'm fine." I say.

She nodded. "We just need to check on the twins," she informed me as another nurse walked in and smiled at me.

"Okay." She took Matt from Owen while the other nurse took Nicole from me. I lean into Owen even more and feel him kiss my forehead. "She likes you," I sang quietly to him, watching the two nurses.

He chuckles. "I know, you're right."

I looked up at him and raised my eyebrow, smiling. "I would be worried, but since I have this," I showed him my finger and grinned, "I don't have to."

He kisses me. "You never have to worry." I smiled against his lips, not wanting to pull away. He deepens our kiss and holds me close. When we pulled apart, he put his forehead against mine and kept his eyes closed.

I smile. "I love you."

"I love you too."

He kissed the tip of my nose before pulling away and looking over at our babies. I see that they're asleep. That's a really good thing. Once we get home Owen and I probably wont get much sleep. Owen kissed my forehead before walking over to the nurse and talking to her quietly. I look at him confused.

The nurse nodded and smiled up at him. Owen picked up Matt and walked over to me.

"What did you ask her?" I asked him quietly. "Owen?"

He shrugged. "You can go home later tonight, if you want to," he told me, sitting on the bed and stroking the side of Matt's face.

"Owen, where are we going to live?" I ask.

His lips pulled down in the corners. "We didn't have a chance to look at any places - or go on your little holiday," he added, chuckling. "I guess we'll have to live with one of our parents until we can find a place."

"But who?" I ask.

"Where would you prefer to be for just a few months?" He asked softly, looking up at me.

"My parents place." I tell him.

He nodded and looked back down at Matt. "I'd have to stay sometimes at my mum's," he told me softly.

"I know. What about your dad Owen?" He bit his lip and looked out the window. "Hey," I make him look at me. "talk to me."

He shook his head. "It's nothing, Lani-bear. As long as I stay with my mum sometimes, it'll be okay."

"No, Owen tell me."

He sighed. "Lani, drop it, please." He stood up and put Matt in my arms. "I'm going to call my mum," he said before he left the room.

Matt starts crying - screaming. "Shh, shh. Its okay baby." I rock him a little.

He continues to cry, loudly. The nurse looked up at me and said softly, "don't worry, Lani, he'll stop soon. Little Nicole is being an angel at the moment." I nod and rock him a little more before kissing his forehead. Looks like he can tell his mummy and daddy are fighting a little bit. I sigh and rock him a little more. The nurse pushed the crib back to the side of my bed with little Nicole in it. "You'll be a good mum, Lani," she said softly before exiting the room. I look over at Nicole who is sleeping peacefully but she starts screaming as well. I hold Matt close and try to get Nicole to calm down but they wont stop. I gritted my teeth. I couldn't do this without Owen. They get louder and louder and I cant stop the, no matter how hard I try.

After a few minutes, Owen appeared in the room. "What happened?" He asked, joining my side and picking up Nicole.

"Matt started screaming after you left and then Nicole did." He nodded and rocked Nicole while humming softly, which calmed her down almost instantly. I rub circles on Matt's belly and he starts to calm down. I kissed his forehead and gently placed him in the crib. I close my eyes and lay my head back. I heard Owen shift next to me, when I opened my eyes slightly I saw him placing Nicole next to her brother. I cover my face with my hands.

"What's wrong?" Owen asked quietly, laying down next to me.

I lean into him. "I cant do this without you Owen." I murmur.

I felt him look down at me. "You're not going to do this without me," he responded quietly. I snuggle up to him and close my eyes. He wrapped his arms around me and sighed. "I doubt I could do anything without you," I heard him say barely audio-able.

"Is everything okay?" I ask. "You haven’t been sleeping well, or much at all."

I felt him nod. "I'm fine, just been thinking a lot, that's all."

"Okay." I start to fall asleep. I felt Owen shift slightly and kiss my forehead before I fell asleep completely.