Chapter Four: The Twins

I wake up slowly, my shoulder sending needles of pain through my body. I open my eyes and immediately close them as the world swims around, making me feel nauseous. I try to sit up, but give up as more pain shoots through my body. I try to remember what happened. I led the riders to my home, we tried to stop the attack, and...

"Grespin," I realize, opening my eyes again. Ignoring the dizziness, I try and get a sense of where I am. I seem to be in a wooden hut of sorts. I had been placed on the upper floor. Looking down, I see the bottom floor's walls lined with... tail fins? At least, that's what I think they are. They remind me of the red one on that NightFury.

As soon as my head feels clearer, I try going down the ladder to the bottom floor. I barely make it down without slipping, and lean on the wall to compose myself, taking in deep breaths. Every action seems harder than it should be. I glance at my shoulder and realize with relief that someone had taken out the arrow and wrapped the wound. That's one less thing I have to worry about. I think, smiling to myself. I frown slightly as I realize how many questions are racing through my mind. Where am I? Why do I feel so disoriented? And, most importantly, What happened to Grespin?

I try taking a step forward and end up falling to the ground. "Ugh!" I mutter, trying to stand up again. I collapse to the floor again, grumbling as I try once more to get up. This time, I succeed. I try moving forward again. With slow and painful steps, I approach the door of the house. After what seems like a year later, I reach the door.

I am about to open the door when someone on the other end opens it. I let out a small yelp despite myself and end up falling backwards and bruising my tailbone. The cause of my fall is two blonde hair vikings, both with bright blue mischievous eyes. They are definitely twins as they seem to complete one another perfectly. One has dreadlocks while the other's hair is in a messy braid.

The more girlish looking twin with dreadlocks sighs. "Ruffnut." The voice is more masculine than I expected. "I thought you said there wouldn't be anyone here! Our plan is ruined now because of you!"

"Oh, really," says the other twin, who must be a girl and whose name must be Ruffnut. "I remember a certain someone who was supposed to lead everyone away from Hiccup's hut!"

"Oh yeah? Well, I guess I can't argue with that now can I," replies the boy twin defiantly, glaring at his twin.

"No you can't," says Ruffnut smugly. She then turns to look at me. "Who is she anyway?"

"Well, she's not Heather, she's not Astrid, and she's definitely not you." says the boy twin, counting the girls off on his fingers. "So, she must be..." his eyes open wide and he yells out, "We're under attack!" Both him and Ruffnut go screaming away from the hut, sounding the alarm to whomever else is here. I groan. Is this a dream?

I painfully get up and stumble past the door. After I blink the sun away from my eyes, I take in my surroundings with a gasp. The hut I am in is one of many on the island. The other huts, which seem to be floating with the way they are positioned, are connected by zip lines and wooden platforms. Dragons freely roam around the island, clearly content with their lives. This has to be a dream. It's too.. amazing.

I carefully make my way to the big hut in the center. I trip a couple of times, but determination wins through every time. I finally reach the hut in the middle and look around. Its interior is finely decorated and there is a nice fireplace type thing in the middle. I gaze in awe at the place, mentally complementing whoever designed it.

"See! There she is! ATTACK!" I hear a voice behind me shout. I turn around to see the boy twin charging at me. Even in my exhausted and dizzy state, I find the energy to step sideways. Instead of changing direction, the twin barrels past me.

"Tuff, wait!" I hear Hiccup shout from behind me, but.. Tuff is already charging at me again. I sigh and step aside again, making Tuff run straight into Toothless.

Toothless growls at Tuff, and the twin says, "Easy T. I'll just be trying to catch this intruder." I mentally facepalm, taking in Tuff's oblivious mood. Tuff turns and tries to charge at me again, but Toothless knocks him down from behind with a quick swipe of his tail.

"Everyone, this is Draira. You know, the girl we rescued from the Hunter ship," explains Hiccup.

"Wait, so we're not under attack? What a rip-off," mutters Ruffnut.

Hiccup sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. "Well, Draira, let me introduce you to the Dragon Riders," Hiccup says to me. "You already know Snotlout and Astrid," he begins. "This is Ruffnut and Tuffnut," he says, gesturing towards the twins. "And this is Fishlegs," he says, pointing at a chubby blonde viking with blue eyes that I just barely notice.

"Nice to meet all of you," I say.

"Well, now that that's settled, I'm guessing you want a tour around the island?" asks Snotlout.

"Well..." I begin, not really wanting to have him show me around the island.

"Great idea Snotlout!" yells Ruffnut. "Come on Draira, you're going to love Dragon's Edge." She hooks her right arm around my left, and Tuffnut hooks his left arm around my right. The good news is I don't have to support myself, so I don't feel dizzy. The bad news is I don't have to support myself, and so I feel helpless. So much for looking strong. Ruffnut and Tuffnut lead me to a red and green Hideous Zippleback. I sit behind Ruffnut on the right head. The Zippleback takes off and Ruffnut and Tuffnut scream in joy. It's much different than any dragon I had been on. The flying feels uncontrolled and not at all smooth.

We head towards each of the huts, Ruffnut shouting out the different locations. "This is Fishleg's hut. That one's Snotlout's hut. Oh, that one's ours!" The Zippleback lands at the entrance to their hut and Ruffnut and Tuffnut hop off. I carefully try getting down, but end up falling off. I grumble at my helplessness.

"So.." I say, standing up again. "You guys like pranks?"

"Woah, it's like she can see into our heads!" whispers Tuffnut.

"I know!" Ruffnut whispers back.

I roll my eyes, smiling at them. "Anyway, like I was saying... maybe sometime we could, I don't know, team up and prank someone?"

"Well... Loki day is only a couple days away..." points out Ruffnut.

"Great!" I say. "That'd be perfect. But, remember," I add. "Don't expect to escape the wrath of my pranks!"

"I don't know what that means, but ok," says Tuffnut confidently. I sigh and turn around, smiling despite myself. Suddenly, my adrenaline seems to evaporate. I realize how dizzy and tired I really am. Trying to stay conscious, I step forward. With my lack of coordination coming back, I miss the platform and slip, falling over the side. I drift off into unconsciousness, faintly feeling claws wrap around me.

As my mind slips further into the dream realm, I realize I had forgotten to ask Hiccup about Grespin. Wow, I'm a genius. I think sarcastically, finally succumbing to my dreams...