Chapter Forty-three: Useless

Once he finishes with his fascinating story, Hiccup leaves me to be alone in the boring dark cave that now feels more like a prison than it had before.

I lay on the ground, staring at the ceiling because that's one of the only things Blitzfire will let me do besides sitting on the chair. I've traced the lines on the ceiling repeatedly for hours, and I'm certain I know it better than the back of my hand, which I had also studied for hours. Who knew one's hand could have so many lines to it?

Around noon, Heather came to bring me food. Blitzfire, also hungry, leaves me with the Berserker with strict instructions that I was to not move an inch.

After the Skrill had flown off, Heather sits with me, and we have lunch. "So," she says. "How's life in a confined space."

"Sooo boring," I reply, sighing. "I swear Blitzfire won't let me breathe too much for fear of disturbing my leg."

"She's just trying to protect you," Heather reminds me.

"I've survived ten years without anyone else," I say dryly. "I think I can take care of a sprained ankle."

Heather laughs. "You sound just like how I did when I was your age."

"I'm not that much younger than you," I protest.

"Young enough." Heather grins. "Hey, how about we do some sister stuff? This whole thing is new to me, and I'd like to get to know you better."

"Aren't you under Blitzfire's orders to have me not move?" I ask suspiciously.

She shrugs. "Since when has a little stretching hurt anybody?" She gives me a conspiratle smile. "Plus, what she doesn't know won't hurt her."

"It could hurt me," I point out, but I'm smiling. Who cares about the risks? There's no way I'm going back to staring at the ceiling. I need to do something or eventually, I'll go crazy thinking about everything that has happened.

Heather goes outside and comes back carrying five bullseye targets. She helps me up, and I lean against her, limping to a chair she had set up near the targets. I want to stand, but Heather insists I at least rest my leg.. just in case.

She tosses me an axe, and I barely catch it in time. Then, she takes the one she's holding and scores right above the bullseye.

"Nice." I heft the axe in my left hand. I am ambidextrous, so it didn't really matter what hand I use anyway. "Don't judge me if I miss," I warn. "I'm a little rusty with axes." I aim and throw the axe spiraling through the air... And it hits the target a ring from the center.

"You don't look rusty to me," comments Heather, looking impressed. "Are you that good at all weapons?"

"Only long distanced throwing ones," I admit. "Close ranged, a dagger and my fists is all I can use."

"I prefer close weapons, so I can stare my enemies in the eyes," comments Heather. "Although, when it comes to throwing, I'm pretty good with my double axe." She pulls it out and twirls it behind her back before releasing it into the center of another target.

"Woah," I say, leaning closer to take a better look at her weapon. It is basically a contactable black stick with curved but sharp metal on each side. "Are those..." I hesitate, peering closer at the curved metal ends. "Are the end bits made of Razorwhip scales?"

"You know your dragons." Heather smiles. She pulls her axe out of the target and comes over to me, so I could observe the weapon. "Yes. I collect Windshear's shedded scales and melt them into weapons and armor." She motions at her skirt and shoulder plates. "It's surprisingly light but strong and can make ridiculously sharp edges."

"That," I say in awe. "Is wicked cool." She grins at me.

"Okay, I've showed you my cool weapon; now you have to show me yours."

I take out my daggers. "I got these from my.. our dad before my island was attacked. They were normal then, but.. something, I can't remember who or what, modified them so they have electricity in them." I throw a dagger at a metal cup, which starts to spark violently. Heather goes over to get it, but I stop her with a hand. "I don't want you to shock yourself," I explain. I get up slowly and limp over to my dagger before pulling it free.

"And it doesn't shock you?" Heather asks in awe.

"Nope." I press a finger to the blade. "See? Nothing."

"It almost mimics your dragon," Heather observes.

"Like older sister like younger sister," I say, motioning at her own weapon. She looks down at it and chuckles.

"I guess so." I sit back down in my chair as Heather's dragon comes bounding inside, roaring at her Rider.

"I've got to go."

I sigh. "Already? I still have the whole day to wait out."

She shrugs. "Sorry, duty calls." She boards her dragon and then smiles at me. "This was fun. Do it again sometime?"

I nod. "You're a fun older sister."

She smiles. "Good to know." Then, she gets onto Windshear.

Blitzfire comes in with a mouthful of fish. Behind her, Hiccup and Toothless enter, and Hiccup whispers something urgently to Heather. She frowns and quickly follows Toothless out of the cave on Windshear.

"What was that all about?" I ask Blitzfire as she munches on her well-caught meal.

Oh, apparently, some Dragon Hunters sneaked into Berk and stole the Dragon Eye. she sparks.

"WHAT?!" I exclaim. "So I got it back for nothing?!"

Blitzfire tilts her head. It's just a cylinder that glows. I don't see why you had to get kidnapped and hurt over it.

I stare at her, my mouth slightly open. Slowly, I say, "You do know what it does, right?"

Blitzfire huffs. Of course. It translates dragon's flames into all knowledge about dragons. I'm not dumb.

"Then you also know the Dragon Hunters are using it to capture dragons?"

They were doing that even without the Dragon Eye.

"Including the King of Dragons?" Blitzfire pauses, her green eyes widening.

Sorry, I think I heard you wrong. Did you just say the King of Dragons?! I nod my head. B-but, that's impossible! The only dragon I even know of having even the slightest bit of knowledge about him is a Titanwing Vermillion! And that was just a myth!

I hold up my hands in surrender. "I'm not saying it's true; it's just what I heard them say." I frown. "Either way, I've got to help them find the Dragon Eye."

No way! Blitzfire holds me to my seat with her tail. You're staying here until you're better.

"But, they need me!" I protest. "And my leg feels better.. honest!" Honestly, my leg didn't feel better at all, but I couldn't sit here when I know I can be of some use.

I want to help too, but they can manage without us for once.

"But, this time is actually vitally important!" I struggle against Blitzfire's restraint. "Dragon's lives, people's lives could be at stake!"

So will yours if you don't stay off that leg!

Eventually, Blitzfire wins by sheer man.. or rather dragon.. power over me, and I'm left sitting in silence, staring at the cracks at the wall once more.

A/N
Hey everyone. It's me again. I've got nothing to say for this Author's Note except the last of the three chapters will come out tomorrow, not today.
Tysm for reading,
TheDragonGirl