Chapter Forty-five: Egg

Sailing across the sea on my own boat, feeling the salty breeze buffet my face, I feel a strange sense of nostalgia for my old life. Back then, I didn't have anyone worrying about me. Back then, I only worried about rescuing dragons. Back then, my life wasn't so jumbled and confusing.

I sigh, leaning against the prow walls. Back then, I didn't know I wasn't the only one left. I shake the rush of emotions out of me, instead concentrating on following the direction I had seen Blitzfire fly off to.. the direction the Riders had also flown off to.

I had also seen dragons of all varieties heading towards the place I am going. Because of this, I figure it's not a coincidence. Is this the doing of the King of Dragons? I had pondered the question many times over my trip and had gotten no further in deducing what the answer could be.

Eventually, new emotions fill me. Almost like a cry for help. I try desperately to make the boat go faster, but there isn't much I can do unless the wind picks up. And, soon after, the feeling is gone. Just like that, it vanishes.

The lack of it makes me stumble, and I come close to falling off of my boat's side. When I right myself, the feeling has gone completely. Disoriented and confused, I decide to continue sailing to where I had been going.

Not long after, a boat appears on the horizon. I immediately recognize it as a Dragon Hunter boat. Cursing, I hurry below deck, grabbing my spare cloak, since I had left the other one at my house all those months ago, and pocketing some ChangeWing spheres as well as my trump card: 10 small orbs filled with Flightmare mist. I had only seen a Flightmare once and even then, I barely managed to escape with my life. I reserve the mist for an emergency. I have a feeling that this is an emergency.

I carefully make my way to the deck again, hood up to cover my face. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice more Hunter ships have made their way around the horizon. All are heading straight towards my ship. Moving quickly now, I drop the anchor and grab a fishing rod. Then, I bring over a chair to the edge of the boat and cast my rod over the side. As I watch the Hunters and the bob at the end of the string, I pull over an empty metal pail. The Hunters reach me when I have caught my second fish.

I hear them conversing from their head boat in low whispers before I hear one of them boarding my ship accompanied by four others. I continue fishing like it is no big deal, but sweat has began to form down the side of my face. "You gentlemen have no business boarding my boat," I say, making my voice an octave deeper.

"Last I checked, this boat belongs to a lady." Viggo? Thor, I'm in trouble.

"And last I checked, I stole it fair and square," I reply, trying to keep my voice steady.

Viggo laughs. "Draira. You don't have to hide it from me. I know it's you."

"And what if," I say, reeling in another fish and dropping it into the metal bucket. "What if I'm not this Draira." I set my fishing rod down and reach into the bag filled with the deadly spheres.

"If you show your face, that won't be a problem."

"Fair enough." I grab a Flightmare sphere. I fling around and throw the sphere, aiming for the middle of their group. I shield my face as the mist spreads across the air, freezing all five Hunters.

"It's her!" I hear someone cry from the Hunter boat. I groan. Now, I am up against an armada of ships with no escape. Not one of my best plans.

I leap onto the head Dragon Hunter ship. There are two things on the ship that surprise me. One is a frozen Johann with a scowl on his face and a clearly stolen Dragon Eye in his right hand. The other is the clear, glass box containing a white, pointy egg, the likes of which I had never seen before. Could it be... the egg of the King of Dragons?

"Stop her!" A voice interrupts my musings. I suddenly realize I am faced with two things. One, I am in a position to gain everything back that the Riders had lost and two, I have around a minute to accomplish it. Quickly, I throw another orb of freezing and the surrounding Hunters stop in their tracks. Then, I pull out a Changewing acid sphere and place it atop the frozen Dragon Eye in Johann's hand. Then, I break it open with one of my daggers, watching as the acid slowly melts the ice.

Unfortunately, the acid melts more than I would have liked, and Johann's whole arm is no longer frozen. I try yanking the Dragon Eye out of his hand, but the traitor is surprisingly strong for someone who is mostly frozen in ice.

I growl in frustration. I don't have time for this. Any second, Viggo and the other Hunters on my ship will start to thaw. I tug at the Dragon Eye once again, harder this time, and it finally comes free from the traitor's grasp.

Pumping my fist in triumph, I put the ornate dragon death machine into my bag, careful to put padding in between it and my dangerous globes. Then, I turn to the King of Dragons egg. Before I can approach it, I hear footsteps from the boat below. Quickly, I take out yet another Flightmare sphere and turn to face the new threat.

Viggo comes up the side of the boat last. I prepare to throw the weapon, winding up with my arm stretched behind me...

And then a hand grabs my wrist. I glance behind me and see even more of Johann has been melted. He now has the ability to lean forward and grasp my wrist. I struggle furtively. My other hand reaches inside my bag, trying to grab another Flightmare projectile. Instead, I grasp the Dragon Eye. That's when the Flightmare sphere breaks open, spraying me with its mist. I find myself involentarily freezing.

My eyes flick to the other Hunters who are beginning to unfreeze and the ones accompanying Viggo who is walking straight towards me. I'm helpless to do anything. I resign to my fate. I'm doomed.

A/N
Welp, that just happened. A note to all potential vigilante Dragon Riders: don't use Flightmare mist to solve all of your problems without serious training beforehand. Trust me, you will most likely end up being the one frozen.

Anyway, two more chapters out today. Three if you count the Author's Note at the end. I can't guarantee a happy ending. You'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for reading!
-TheDragonGirl