Chapter Thirty-three: The Triple G's

A hazy fog settles over my eyes; the kind of fog you couldn't get rid of; the kind that kept your eyelids closed. No matter how hard I try, the fog doesn't disappear and my eyes won't open. I try moving an arm to try and pry open my eyes, but they seem to be incapacitated as well. Desperate, I try moving any part of my body that I can, but my muscles don't respond to my mind's command. You're helpless. says the voice in my head. Can't even move your own body, let alone prevent everyone you love from dying. The voice seems more separate from me than it had been before, almost as if it isn't just my conscience. As though I can hear it.

I brush the thought away. I'm delusional. Probably from the pain. It is strange that I hadn't noticed the pain until that very moment. Now, I can suddenly feel its fire hot agony lancing through my left leg and weakening my system. Dragon Root. I growl, wondering for the umpteenth time why it affects me so much. It is giving me a headache. Literally.

I try again to move at least my fingers and feel them twitch at my command. I push harder and feel them slowly dig into the wood below me as my other senses slowly start to wake up as well. Someone is walking around whatever hard surface I am laying on. I can hear their shuffling footsteps walking to and fro, also making out the sound of ingredients splashing into some sort of liquid. Taking a deep breath in through my nose, I smell something rotten, and my best guess is it is coming from whatever concoction is being made. From the wind brushing against my skin, I can guess I am at a high altitude, although where is beyond me. I would've thought I am on a dragon if not for the wooden structure under me.

Gulping, I attempt to peak open one eye, as I realize I can now make out the bright sun from under my eyelids. Upon opening my eyes, I yelp out as the sun momentarily blinds me and turn to face the wooden floor. Gasping for breath, I try to control my rapidly beating heart. Then, I notice that a pair of feet is right next to where I'm looking. Slowly, I look upward and come face to face with a short old lady with a cane and a kind smile on her wrinkly face. White- grey hair hangs loosely in two braids down each shoulder with a small viking helmet on top. Stormy blue eyes, analyze me more than any other old person had even thought to analyze me, but show sparkles of compassion that reassure me she means me no harm. Scars on her arms have me thinking she was a warrior before whatever occupation she had right now and, judging by the makeshift cast on my leg, I guess that occupation is being a healer. Still, something about the way she looks at me before saying anything is as if she already knows something about me that even I don't know.

"Um... where am I?" I ask. She doesn't respond. "How did I get here?" Still no response. "Will my leg heal?" I ask the last question timidly, worried at her response. She nods her head, and I sigh in relief. At least that's something.

She walks away from me and smacks a middle-aged man, whom I had just noticed, on the head to wake him up. "Ow! Jeez... I'm up, I'm up." He rubs his head and turns to face me. A long, thin blond mustache trails down the sides of his face while the rest of his hair is concealed under a viking helmet. A hook is on his left hand, and a peg leg is on his right foot. He is around the same size and stature of Snotlout, except taller and with fewer limbs.

"Oi," he says, looking me up and down. "The lass is awake?" The old woman nods her head.

"I'm sorry, but could you tell me where I am and who you are?" I ask, confused at the lack of familiar faces.

"Ah, yes. I suppose Gothi hasn'a told you yet." He leans in close as though telling a secret and loudly whispers, "She doesn't talk." Then he leans back again. "Me name's Gobber, and yer on Berk!"

"Berk?!" I squeak. "B- but I was on the ocean near Dragon's Edge. I was fighting the Dragon Hunters..." I gasp. "Are the twins and Hiccup ok?"

"They're fine lassie. You're the only who got hurt."

"But, how did I get here? I was just there..." I pause. "How long have I been unconscious?"

Gobber shrugs. "Three or four days I'd guess."

"WHAT?!" I jump to my feet and almost immediately fall back down as the blood rushes to my head, and the Dragon Root makes me lose my coordination. "THREE OR FOUR DAYS?!"

Gothi whacks Gobber on the head and scribbles something onto the floor. "Oi. Sorry, Gothi. It's not my fault she's all flustered." Gothi waves her staff threateningly at Gobber before walking over to a cauldron and pouring some of the liquid into a cup. She then walks over to me and hands me the cup filled with the clear brown and green liquid.

"You want me to drink this?" I ask, smelling the rotten egg smell from earlier. She nods her head. "You sure?" She pushes my hands holding the cup closer to me. I gulp, staring at the bubbly liquid that reminds me of the snot of a Gronkle. Closing my eyes and plugging my nose, I down the whole thing in one gulp and instantly regret it. The taste is enough to make me want to throw up, and I barely keep myself from doing so.

Gothi writes something on the floor. "How's the leg feelin' lass?" Trying to ignore the after taste of the gross liquid, I turn my attention to my leg.

"Huh. It feels good as new." Gothi nods her head and puts the rest of the liquid into a clay jar. Then she scratches something on the floor.

"She says to blink one time a hay until it's gone." Gobber looks inquisitively at Gothi. "What does that even..." Gothi whacks him on the head. "Ow! Sorry, sorry. She says drink one time a day until the liquid's gone." She hands me the container, and I do my best to control my impulse to throw it over the side of the platform.

"Uh.. thanks." Gothi also hands me wooden carved crutches. "Thanks... again." I take the crutches and use them to stand up without falling over again. I then stop, not sure where to go.

"Here, why don't I take yoo for a tour around Berk?" says Gobber.

I nod. "Can we go on dragon back though?"

Gobber agrees. "Gothi wants you staying off that leg as much as possible anyway." Then, he turns and yells over the side of the platform. "Grump? Get up here you lazy dragon."

Slowly rising into the air, a Hotburple hovers right next to the ledge, looking as though he would rather be doing anything but. "You can call your dragon too lass. I believe it's been waiting for you to wake up."

I smile and also lean over the ledge, gasping slightly at being above the clouds and seeing for miles. "Blitzfire?" I call out. Seconds later, a purple shape races out of the clouds and eagerly hovers next to the ledge.

Draira! You're ok! I was so worried... she sparks excitedly.

"Yep. Good as new. Well.. pretty much."

Blitzfire does a happy loop in the sky. Then, she looks over at the other vikings. Who are they?

I look over my shoulder. "That's Gothi, that's Gobber, and that's Grump."

The Triple G's.

"Yeah, I guess so." I look at the distance between the ledge and Blitzfire and then at my leg. "Hey.. could you...?"

Already on it. Blitzfire wraps her talons around my torso and throws me on to her back. I wince slightly as my leg scrapes against her scales.

"Thanks."

No problem. She tilts her head to look at me. Where to?

I grin. "Follow the Hotburple."

A/N
Hello everyone! Finally got a POV for Draira! 🎉🎉🎉 What do you think she's going to think of Berk? And of Stoick? Also, how will the other Riders treat her now that they know her parentage? Honestly, I don't even know yet😋.
Tysm for reading!
-TheDragonGirl

P. S.
And yes, before you ask, there is another chapter out today.