Chapter Forty-two: Confined

"YOU GOT THE DRAGON EYE?!" Hiccup shouts.

I rub my ears, wincing at how the loud sound made my head ring. "Yes."

"HOW DID YOU GET IT?!" exclaims Tuffnut. I wince again.

"Deathrock hid it for me."

"WHY ARE WE YELLING?!" yells Ruffnut.

"I don't know but could you please stop?!" I say irritably.

"Oh, sorry."

I sigh, rubbing my temples. "Thank you."

"So, you escaped with the Dragon Eye? Just like that?" Tuffnut loudly whispers.

"Yes." I study it, get up with the assistance of Blitzfire, and then hand it to Hiccup. "Here, you'll probably do a better job of protecting it than I will."

"Thanks," he replies, tucking it into a satchel around his shoulder with the Berk crest on it.

My foot begins to throb violently apon standing up, and I lean heavily against Blitzfire, cursing my weakness. Hiccup notices.

"Your leg.. is it okay?"

I shrug it off. "It's nothing really. I just landed on it wrong, that's all."

"It doesn't look like nothing." I look down at my leg, which is turning a red-purplish color.

"Well, it doesn't hurt that much." I could even hear the lie in my voice.

"We should get you back to Berk," Hiccup says. Blitzfire, along with Hiccup, helps me get onto the Skrill's back without hurting myself further. I protest the entire time that I could've done it myself, but they don't listen to me. Then, we fly back to Berk.

It is a peaceful flight, nothing that I didn't expect with the calm sea below us. I allow myself to enjoy the simple time of peace and quiet before we arrive..

The moment is broken when a sharp pain lances through my skull. I cry out as the world darkens around me and my heart pounds in my head. Budum, budum, budum. It keeps the same rhythm until all other sound is blotted out.

A voice, awoken from the depths of my mind's memory, echoes in my mind. Your power.. it rasps, grating like metal against metal through every cavity of my mind.. your strength.. I can't seem to escape my own mind as I pound on the edges, seeking a way out.. your soul.. IS MINE! I give one last push at the walls of my mind and break free at last.

My eyes fling open, and I gasp for breath, feeling as though someone had dunked me under the water the entire time I had been stuck in my own brain. The other Riders don't seem to notice that anything was wrong, not even Blitzfire noticed. In fact, as I try to remember what the voice had said, what that memory that had stuck out in my moment of darkness was, I can't remember it ever being there. It is like I have a gap in my memory or a hole. What the heck is happening to me?

I don't have time to dwell on it further. Blitzfire lands on the platform in front of Gothi's hut, shaking the house. The first day of my healing with my first health check, she had done the same thing and had been viscously whacked by Gothi's cane. Now, however, Gothi is so used to it, she doesn't even glance at the Skrill.

I am quickly escorted onto the ground. Gothi studies my leg with a clicking off her tongue, shaking her head disapprovingly. It wasn't my fault I was kidnapped and then forced to escape by myself.

Finally, she scrawls something onto the floor. In the month I had spent visiting Gothi, I had slowly began to understand the language that she wrote to the point where I could read most of her more simple sentences. As the first viking to ever, even slightly, teach me proper Norse (the Norse I learned to write over the years was something most simple Vikings used, although maps and business papers were usually written in proper Norse), Gothi quickly had my attention throughout her lectures to me, although I was usually paying more attention to her writing then what she actually said.

Now, I read her sentence out loud. "She says I'm fine, there's not too serious damage, but because I have been using my foot so much even before today..." I trail off, seeing Hiccup narrow his eyes. I gulp. "Uh, she says the foot may stay permantly weaker than the other one, and I should stay off it for another week."

After Gothi has wrapped my leg with some stiff cloth, and we get back on our dragons, Hiccup whispers something to Toothless who then roars something at Blitzfire. "What did he just say to you?" I ask suspiciously.

Nothing. sparks Blitzfire guiltily.

A few moments later. "Why are you flying towards our cave?"

No reason.

"Why are we going into the tunnels?!"

Blitzfire finally gives in. Hiccup wanted to confine you to a reasonably large space so that you could heal. Toothless asked me where such place could be.

"And you led them to the Whispering Death holes."

What? It's wide, spacious, and a place where all of your friends can make sure that you're not breaking Gothi's restrictions.

"I don't want to be confined! I'm not a little girl who is the most fragile thing in the world. I can take care of myself!"

"It's for your own good," my half brother interjects. Ever since he's found out about our relation, he's grown impossible to compromise with, so I simply pout, cross my arms, and stay silent.

He escorts me into the room and looks around. "Wow, this is.. impressive."

I beam with pride. "Thank you."

"You did this all yourself?"

"Yeah." Blitzfire nudges me. "Well, she helped to." I motion at the prideful Skrill. I pause, noting Hiccup's impressed look. "I'm guessing you already knew about this place then?"

"Yeah." He chuckles. "Alvin the Treacherous, our ally now although back then he had a grudge against my dad, put crates of Whispering Death eggs in this tunnel. One of them was actually a Screaming Death. Boy was that fun."

"A Screaming Death?" I gape. "You mean the huge, white rarities with red eyes and less weaknesses then the Whispering Death?!"

"The very one."

"How did you defeat it?"

He grins and motions for me to sit down. "Sit tight, because this is the craziest story you've ever heard..."

A/N
Have any of you seen Riders of Berk or Defenders of Berk? If so, then you'll know the story of the Screaming Death. If not, I would suggest looking it up because, unfortunately, I will not be explaining it in the next chapter.

You know how I said I had 10 chapters left until I finished the book? I looked back at my storyline and realized it's more like 5! Therefore, by this time next week I should be finished with the entire book!

What do you guys think of the mysterious voice in Draira's head? Do you know who it might be? I'll give you a hint, it's someone you've already met in the book, but not someone super big in the plot. Leave your ideas in the comments (don't worry, I won't spoil anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to who you guys think it is).

Thanks for reading,
TheDragonGirl

P.S. There will be two more chapters out besides this one by the end of this weekend.