Chapter Eleven: Rescue Mission

We fly close to the ground, trying to avoid being seen. Hookfang flies behind us, clearly worried for his rider despite the fact that he is very annoying sometimes. We all look for Ruff, Tuff, and their dragon. After circling around the same area a couple of times, Dagur says, "They must've been captured, they're not here."

"Yeah," I murmur, still in shock. "Come on, let's go see if we can find Hiccup or Astrid." We start to fly away when something catches my eye.

"Help," I can faintly here Tuffnut scream from the thorn bushes below us.

"Down there," I exclaim, pointing. The Skrill and Hookfang dive, heading straight for Tuffnut. He appears to have gotten stuck in a thorn bush. Ruffnut and Barf and Belch are nowhere to be seen. When we land, I quickly get off the Skrill and take out my daggers. I hack through the thorns with them, taking extra care to not touch Tuffnut. Free, Tuffnut comes racing out of the bush, panting heavily. "What happened?" I ask.

He takes a deep breath and says, "Flying," while flapping his arms up and down to demonstrate. "Arrows." He gives a scared face. "Shot." He pretends that an arrow hits something next to him. "Help." he tries to get the pretend arrow from the object. "Falling." He waves his hands in the air and falls to the floor. "Captured." He puts his hands out to reach something that had disappeared from reach. He starts sobbing into his hands. "Gone," he wails. His crying sounds fake, having no tears and being very loud, but I recognize this is his way of showing grief. I try processing what he had just said.

"Don't worry," Dagur reassures him. "We'll get them back."

"Wait, you understood that?" I ask.

"Sure," he says. "They were flying and hunters came out of nowhere, shooting them with arrows. Barf and Belch got hit and Tuffnut tried to help but fell off. When he was off, Barf, Belch, and Ruffnut got captured by the Hunters." At my look of confusion, he adds, "When you spend enough time with the twins, you'll understand them too."

"Okay then."

Tuffnut sniffles, and I look to see him getting up. He shakes his head and a grin spreads onto his face. "What are we waiting for, let's go rescue everyone!" Must be an amazing skill to be so optimistic all the time...

"Hold on," I say, holding up my hand. "We need to make sure Hiccup and Astrid weren't captured."

"Oh, they were captured alright," replies Tuffnut.

"Really, and how do you know that?" asks Dagur. It seems the twins can surprise even him.

"Because they're right there," he says, pointing. We look to see what he is talking about. Behind us, just past the bushes is Hiccup, Astrid, Stormfly, and Toothless all in cages.

"Get down," Dagur hisses, throwing himself to the ground to avoid being seen by the Hunters. The dragons, Tuffnut, and I soon follow suit. As we watch them, I see Viggo overseeing the operation with a smirk on his face.

"Is that Viggo?" whisper-yells Tuffnut. "I thought he was dead."

"So did I," says Dagur, glancing at me. An apology is shining in his eyes. We watch the operation for a while longer. Then, Dagur suddenly whispers, "I have an idea. I'll charge in there to distract them and you guys free Hiccup, Astrid, Stormfly, and Toothless." He starts to get up, but I pull him back down.

"No, then you'll get us all captured!" I say.

"Do you have a better idea?" he retorts.

"Actually," I say slowly. "I do."

"Ooh, tell us, tell us," whispers Tuffnut.

"Ok. So, Viggo still doesn't know I'm with you guys, so I can sneak in there and try and get them freed," I say, slowly warming up to the idea.

"What will we do?" asks Tuffnut, sounding upset he is missing the action.

"You can start searching for the other riders," I say. "Just, don't let anyone see you."

"Got it," says Tuffnut, saluting. He and Dagur start sneaking away.

"Hookfang, Skrill, you go with them," I say. They both bob their heads and quietly follow Tuffnut and Dagur.

I look again at Hiccup, Astrid, and their dragons being carted away. "Here goes," I mutter. I stand up and pull my hood over my head. I then walk casually over to the cages. I need a distraction. I think. I glance at the bag of money in my hands. Oh no, oh no. Please let there be another way. I think desperately. But I know that if I try anything else, I will be caught. I grab a handful of coins and, making sure Viggo isn't looking in my direction, stuff it into a very surprised Hunter's hands. "I'll let you keep this gold if you start randomly setting off the Monstrous Nightmare gel." He nods greedily, eying the gold he had just acquired. I watch him sneak away with a smile on my face. I quickly start heading over to the cages, preparing to get the riders and their dragons out at a moment's notice.

Boom. The first explosion goes off with a bang. The Hunters scramble around, trying to find what caused the explosions. I glance up at Viggo to see his face contorted with rage. He still stands briskly, clasping his hands behind his back. "Get the riders to the boats now!" he shouts. "Don't worry about the explosions!"

I carefully take out one of my daggers, preparing to use it if I had to. Another explosion goes off and in the confusion that follows, I unlock the cage that holds Hiccup. I make sure he is the only one who has noticed me and I whisper, "Get ready to bust your way out of here." He nods his head slightly and I move onto Toothless's cage. I unlock his in a similar matter and instruct him to wait to bust out until the next round of explosions is done.

Now that I had a time limit, I hurry even faster to Astrid's cage. I quickly unbolt hers and start to head away when she whispers, "Thank you, I'm sorry I doubted you." I nod my head in acknowledgment and briskly walk over to Stormfly's cage.

The next round of explosions shakes the ground as I unlock Stormfly's cage. Without waiting for my signal, she slams open the door, taking to the air. I see Toothless also breaking out, immediately rushing over to Hiccup's cage. I smile and turn around, bumping into someone as I do. I fall to the ground, my hood coming off in the process. I look up to shout at whoever just caused me to fall, but the words die in my mouth as I see who it is. "Well, lookie who we 'ave 'ere," the man says. I gulp and wonder what I had gotten myself into...