Chapter Ten: Dagur and the Skrill

The explosions started a little bit ago. Luckily, it prevented me from having to speak, but now, I am worried about the riders. Viggo just sent his best team of Hunters to go and capture them. I wait idly in one corner, still clutching the handle of the cage. The Skrill has reduced her glare and instead is staring at me with interest. I try focusing on something else, but my eye keeps drifting back to her. A Skrill, a real live Skrill. If a NightFury is the unholy offspring of lightning and death, the Skrill is certainly the 'holy' offspring of lightning and death. Everything about her seems fierce, yet intelligent.

"So, are you willing to give your part of the deal?" Viggo asks, apparently done with his preparations.

"Yes," I say. Viggo nods and motions over a guard who takes out a notebook and a quill. I take a deep breath. "NightFurys are the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. They use a plasma blast to shoot apart things. The blast can also flow continuously to heat an item. They like fish like most other dragons." I decide to refrain from mentioning they could use echolocation or that they didn't like eels or that Dragon Root affects them more than most other dragons.

"The Skrill channels its lightning from storms. They are extremely intelligent and fast, proving formidable foes." The Skrill watches me even more intently as I describe Skrills making me hesitate on telling Viggo the next part. I look at the Skrill again and remind myself that he already knows. "When in water, Skrills can't channel their lightning and are more vulnerable. They eat mutton regularly, although they can go into a hibernation state without food for decades." I don't mention that they also are more affected by Dragon Root arrows than other dragons or that they can create an electrical force field around themselves or that they can travel through lightning or tha... well, you get the idea.

Viggo nods, seeming satisfied with my answer. "Very well. You have exceeded my expectations. You may leave whenever you feel is necessary although I'd advise you to stay in here until we capture the riders."

I nod curtly. "Thank you for the advice, but I can handle myself," I say. I walk past him and trip, falling on top of the guard. I steady myself, blushing furiously.

"We can see that," the giant says sarcastically. I glare at him and turn, quickly slipping the key I had just acquired to the Scauldron. I walk out with the Skrill, merrily whistling a tune. I walk past the maze of cages and into the part of the forest that isn't cut down. I look around, making sure I am well hidden, before opening the Skrill's cage. "Go on," I whisper. "You're free."

What if Viggo finds out you've set me free? asks a voice. Except... it isn't quite like any language I had ever heard. The sound almost sounds... like the Skrill's lightning crackling off her body.

I slowly turn to look at the Skrill. "Did you just... talk to me?" I ask.

Duh. Who else do you think would be talking to you? It's me, your pal!

"N-- No. This is this first time I've met you," I stammer. She studies me, looking a little curious.

You honestly don't remember? she asks. I shake my head, wondering what she is talking about.

"How could I have forgotten meeting a Skrill?" I ask.

I guess so. Unless... she pauses and shakes her great head. Never mind.

"Unless what?" I ask.

Well, it may not be the case, but... I think someone may have erased that memory from your mind. she explains slowly.

"But, that's impossible... right?" I ask.

"What's impossible?" asks a voice from the bushes next to me.

"Dagur?" I ask as he comes out.

"Hello..." then, he sees the Skrill. His eyes go wide and he asks, "Is that.. is that my Skrill?" His voice sounds strangely shrill and his eyes flash crazily.

"Uh.. she's not yours..." I say.

"Oh, uh, right," he says. He shakes his head and the crazy glint disappears from his eyes. The Skrill growls at him. "Easy now, I'm nice to dragons now."

"Does that mean you hurt dragons?" I ask. My eyes narrow slightly.

He shrugs. "Yeah, I was known as Dagur the Deranged." Then he gives out a crazy sounding laugh. He clears his throat and says, "Oh, uh sorry."

"It's ok," I reply on impulse. "You don't anymore.. right?"

He shakes his head. "Of course not! I have my dragon now!"

I sigh, letting the issue go. It's not like I can judge. "Anyway, what's the story between you and this Skrill?" I ask.

"I would love to tell you... but not now. They took Heather!"

"What?!" I squeak, my voice rising. I lower it again. "What happened?"

"Well, we were flying along, freeing dragons and such, when some explosions started," he starts. "Probably the Nuts. Urgh, when I get my hands on them..."

"Dagur.."

"Oh, right. Sorry. Anyway, we thought everything would be fine until a bunch of Hunters sprang on us. I got knocked off Shattermaster.." I raise my eyebrow in question. "My Gronkle," he explains. "Anyway, I got knocked off and they captured Heather, her dragon, and Shattermaster!" He pauses. "I'm just so glad Viggo isn't still leading them."

"Wait, Viggo? As in Viggo Grimborn?" I ask slowly.

"Yep, the very one. He's dead now luckily."

I gulp nervously. "I hate to break it to you, but Viggo is still very much alive."

"What you mean?" questions Dagur. "That's impossible. Astrid and Hiccup saw him fall into a volcano."

"Well, unless there is another person named Viggo Grimborn in the Archipelago, we have a major problem on our hands. I just saw him."

Dagur frowns. "This is bad. I bet Viggo lured us right in! We'd better find Hiccup and the others before it's too late!" I nod, agreeing completely with him. I look to the Skrill.

"May I ride on you?" I ask her.

Of course. She bobs her head up and down. Then, she turned to Dagur. He, on the other hand, may not. She growls pointedly at him.

"Come on, he's clearly changed.. from whatever he was before.. and, I mean, he's been nice to me," I reply.

"Uh, who are you talking to?" asks Dagur.

"The Skrill," I say without missing a beat. Then, I realize that he must not understand the Skrill's sparks. Weird...

"Uh, ok?" says Dagur, clearly confused.

Fine, I'll trust your judgement, for now. But, if he does anything, I'm throwing him off. says the Skrill.

"Ok, we're all good," I say to Dagur.

"Great," says Dagur. He climbs onto the Skrill who is warily watching him. I climb on too, seating myself in front of Dagur.

"Let's find Hiccup," I say, whooping as we take off.

We are only in the air for a few seconds when I see a shape approaching us quickly from the sky. As it gets closer, I realize it is Hookfang. "Where's Snotman?" asks Dagur.

I don't bother to correct him, too worried about the riderless dragon. "He must've gotten captured." A weird feeling arises in my gut. "We'd better check on the others as well." We start flying towards where the twins were supposed to be freeing dragons. "I just hope it's not too late," I mutter.