Chapter Thirty-nine: Hunters

The journey is slow and boring. The Dragon Root slowly taps on my strength until I am a limp husk of myself. Even the brief breaks the Hunter leaders allow is not enough to regenerate me. That doesn't mean my mind isn't active, despite the throbbing headache. Throughout the time I am with the Hunters, I notice most of them are content, happy almost. Listening in, I hear that most of the men had come from a man named Krogan, someone so vicious he would kill his own men to get what he wanted. The Hunters fear the man who also seems to be working under Drago, and so it makes sense that they were relieved when Viggo intervened to save their lives and bring them into his own crew.

In fact, both Viggo and Johann are relatively nice in general. Maybe it is because of my past experiences with villainy, but both men seem like kittens compared to people like Evlrock and Carn. Which could be why I see the reluctance in their eyes whenever they talk about handing me over to Tolrock...

Eventually, we reach our destination. I first know it when I feel the boat hit something with a thud and come to a rocky halt. Then, I hear footsteps, and Viggo approaches me flanked by two guards. They open the cell door and unlock my constraints. I barely get time to feel relieved from the Dragon Root's abandoned presence before they roughly haul me to my feet and lead me back up the stairs.

At the top, I squint at the island we've arrived at. "Um.." I say uncertainly. "You do realize that this isn't Tolrock's island, right?" I'll admit that I didn't actually know what his island looks like, but I did know that this island is home to my favourite frenemy, Deathrock. Not that I would've cared much if I was put in his care; it'd be much better than the inevitable doom I face with Tolrock.

"I'm surprised you realize that," says Viggo. "Yes, you are right. This isn't his island. But, this is where he told us to meet if we ever captured you. The owner of the island, his brother, is the only one he trusts and knows is almost always on his island." I smile slightly. And I have one guess as to who recommended to Tolrock that the Hunters bring me here.

The Hunters bring me onto the dock and across it to the island where Deathrock is waiting with Yakheart and Stoneheart, the brother combo who have matching blond hair and blue eyes, on his right and left. "Welcome fellow Hunters!" he exclaims with an easy smile on his face. Light brown hair is scrambled on his head, and his brown eyes have bags under them as though he hadn't slept for days. I raise a slight eyebrow at Stoneheart who is the older of the two brothers, but he slightly shakes his head. So, my dear frenemy isn't sleeping well. I'd have to change that somehow. On top of escaping, getting the Dragon Eye, and being cured from my limp.

"Where's the Dragon Eye?" asks Johann, coming off the boat.

"Unfortunately, my dear brother has the Dragon Eye in his current possession. I've already contacted him, and he'll give it to you on his arrival." He smiles. "So, while we wait, how about breakfast?"

As it turns out, the Hunters didn't mind me eating alongside them at the banquet that Deathrock so generously provides us. Perhaps it was because they were too hungry to care. And it is impossible to not feel hungry. There is a large, table long piece of freshly baked bread whose aroma is enough to make any Viking's mouth water. Jams of every variety are placed across the table, making a rainbow of sticky fruits. Then, there had been a yak roasted to perfection with spices and juices piled on top of it in a gooey mess of wonder.

Throughout the entire time, I end up sitting right to the right of Deathrock at his long, expensive wooden table in his Great Hall so that he could "keep his eye on me". In reality, however, we end up sneaking each other notes on paper using a charcoal stick like two naughty kids sneaking candy from their parents.

We talk of our lives since we had last seen each other. He is quite surprised and worried of my ordeals with the Hunters. I know you're strong, but be careful. As you've seen, the Hunters can really hurt you.

I know. I reply back. I promise I'll be careful. And, just like that, the conversation shifts to more trivial things like the Hunters' strange eating habits, and then on to the Riders' strange habits, and then on to the Riders themselves.

So, I've heard Snotlout is quite the lady's man. Deathrock writes.

Ew, no! His dragon is way more charming! Deathrock doesn't need to write his response; instead he raises an eyebrow at me, asking So, who do you like? He could see it in my eyes, I infer that much. Well, Snotlout is gross, Fishlegs is nerdy, Hiccup has a girlfriend, and both he and Dagur are my half brothers. Deathrock's eyebrow raises higher. I sigh. And, Tuffnut is kinda cute.. if you like the explosive dreadlock type. Deathrock smirks at me, and I huff.

His eyes trail over the assembled Hunters who are almost done with their food. He takes out a fresh new piece of paper and writes something down. He quickly hands it to me before standing up and addressing the Hunters. "If all of you are done eating, I'll lead you out to the docks so that you can make the trade with my brother."

By the time the Hunters grab me and force me to my seat, I've already memorized the little note and tucked it safely in my empty sheath.

The Dragon Eye Tolrock's giving to Johann is a fake. He wants to benefit from the trade as much as possible. I have a plan to steal it from him, and I'll leave it in our favourite hiding place with your daggers. Escape when the diversion starts.

A/N
Ok, so Wattpad on my phone is being weird and not showing me the amount of votes on my chapters, but I can say that... I HAVE 3K VIEWS!! OMG everyone, it was only a little bit ago that I said I had 2k views! Also, based on the amount of likes I saw before Wattpad went weird and the amount of new people voting on my chapter, I think that I can say with confidence that... I HAVE 300 VOTES ON MY CHAPTER! (Note: I wrote this A/N before Wattpad was fixed, and now, I confirmed the 300 votes) When did my book become so popular?! It's like every other chapter I find myself saying these announcements!

But anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing my story up higher than I ever thought it was going to go! This is my first ever fanfiction and my personal favourite out of all of my books, so the fact that it is the one that dwarfs all my other books fills me with happiness😁.

Tysm again,
TheDragonGirl

P.S: As promised, there will two other chapters out today.