Chapter One

Kongpob did not want to face the interview.  He didn't want to be an engineer.  It had been his mother's wish.  He loved his mother too much to let her down.  

What was so bad about wanting to be an economist anyway? 

Kongpob had two hours before he had to be at the university.  He was seated at his desk and had drawn a face absentmindedly.  It was the same face that often appeared in his dreams.  It wasn't a specific picture.  The face was not crystal clear, but somehow, he knew it was the same face.  

Kongpob didn't know who it was.  He assumed it might have been someone he had seen in the passing.  He doodled little suns around the face.  Since he was a child, he had been obsessed with doodling pictures of the sun.  It was all over his books.  It had gotten to a point now it seemed like his signature.

His girlfriend, Pai, texted him asking what time he had to leave. 

Kongpob crumpled his drawing and threw it away.  The latest dream he had disturbed him.  The person in his dream was asking for help.  He had extended his arm only to have the person's fingers slip away from his.  Kongpob woke up sweating and in tears.

Pai was waiting for him at the entrance of the university he was going to attend.  If he went through the interview.

"Are you ready Kong?" she asked.  Pai knew he didn't want to enter the field of engineering.  Her sympathetic expression was not helpful.

"I guess," he replied.  " It's not like I have a choice."

Pai touched his hand gently.  "You always have a choice Kong," she said.

"Are you ready for your interview Pai?"

"Hopefully I am.  Anyway, I have to get going, Kong. See you later."

"Bye." 

Kongpob wished Pai would stay by his side.  He tended to get sidetracked when he was left alone.  What if he skipped the interview?  Spoke to his mother and told her he didn't want to do it? 

Meeting Aim had broken his willpower even further.  Kongpob understood studying something you didn't like for four years was not going to be easy.

The more his appointment was getting closer, the more uneasy he felt. 

Kongpob sat alone looking at the letter sent by the University.  Was disappointing his mother worth his happiness? 

"Hey Nong?  What's with the long face?" he heard a voice behind him.

A young man sat beside him.  Kongpob was speechless.  His eyes widened in surprise.  It was the face of the person his dreams!  Had he met this person before?  He wasn't sure about it.  The dreams had recurred for a couple of months.  Maybe he had seen him before.

Kongpob never got to know the name of the person.  But he already had decided to join the engineering faculty even before the young man had started speaking.

He was curious and wanted to know more.  Why did he look familiar?

Kongpob watched him speak, fascinated. His eyes tracing all of his features. 

********************

Just as the senior had predicted, the interview wasn't hard.  It did feel more like a formality than an actual interview.

Kongpob couldn't wait to get started.  Most importantly he couldn't wait to see the senior again.  He seemed like a kind person.

 Kongpob shouldn't have changed his career choice based on a face he had dreamt.  But there he was, outside the University grounds on his first day.

Kongpob was nervous, to say the least.  He wasn't sure why he wanted to be there.  His mother was happy, and Pai seemed somewhat happy but had repeatedly asked him if he was sure of his decision.

How was this person more influential than his own mother?

********************

The head hazer "Prem" was ruthless.  Kongpob disliked him the minute he started giving out impossible orders.  He had asked permission to speak and voiced his opinion.  The head hazer had dismissed him. 

The senior he met before was a hazer as well. 

The head hazer had asked the senior to demonstrate the punishments.  It was strange.  Why was this senior going through hard exercises without reason? 

Why was he a hazer in the first place?  It was becoming clear that Prem didn't like that particular senior.  Even the other hazers seemed uncomfortable.  The pitiful senior did as he was asked without a complaint.

Looks like it wasn't just the freshmen who were going through the hazing.

********************

Kongpob walked around the campus grounds all morning trying to get signatures.  He was doing fairly well managing to fill three pages. 

He spotted the man from his dreams sitting alone in the cafeteria.  The rest of the hazers were at another table talking loudly.

Didn't this senior have any friends?  He vaguely remembered how he had abruptly left in the middle of their brief conversation after he received a phone call.

Why was he alone now? 

Kongpob went over to the senior.  "Sawadee khrap P'."

The senior looked around in a panic.  "You should go N'."

"But P', I wanted to get your signature.  I'm 0062, Kongpob."

"You can do without my signature N', now leave."

Kongpob was confused, "We were asked to get to know the seniors P'."

The man sighed, "You are so persistent."  He took the little booklet out of Kongpob's hand and signed it.  "Here you go."

Kongpob tried to read the name unsuccessfully.

"P'... May I know your name?"

"Arthit... now hurry up and get going."

Arthit...

************************************************

A/N - Before I continue, I want everybody to know this is, in fact, a KongxArthit story!  Maybe a little different than you expect.

beta by my dear LaceyRay (thanks a lot noona!)