Chapter Seven

24 years ago somewhere in northern Thailand.

Thinnakorn (Korn) age 17

Korn was not focusing on what the teacher was saying.  He was busy watching Prem.  His best friend since they were twelve and his neighbor.  He couldn't remember when it started.  To begin with, Korn never had many friends.  When Prem's family moved to the house next to theirs Korn curiously watched a boy about his age walk around in their garden. 

The boy smiled at him.

Korn walked up to the fence separating the houses.

"Sawadee khrap, I'm Thinnakorn."

"Sawadee khrap, I'm Prem."

Their friendship had started from that first hello.  Five years later they were inseparable. 

Korn knew his feelings towards Prem weren't entirely platonic.  Prem was kind and compassionate.  He was a diligent student loved by teachers and students alike.  To add more to his glowing list he was also painfully handsome.

Korn's feelings scared him, loving a man was unnatural.  If their little town found out, he would be kicked out along with Prem or even worse beaten to death.  There was a middle-aged man who lived alone in the forest nearby.  The people in town avoided him like he had a terminal disease, because of a rumor that he was a gay man.

What if someone finds out about his feelings?  Worst yet what would happen if Prem found out?  Each day his feelings grew stronger.  As they grew older, Prem became more popular.  Everyone wanted to be his friend.  Prem was included in everything that happened in the school.  

The only person Korn was used to hanging out with was Prem.  Even though they didn't spend time together as they used to, Prem would still come over to his house every night.  They would stay up for hours hanging out.  Most of the time Korn used Prem as a model for his drawings.

Korn could have used anything as his subject.  But he used it as an excuse to look at Prem without seeming creepy.

They were doing their homework when Prem suddenly spoke.

"Ai Korn, I saw you were talking to Aom today.  What did she want?"

Korn thought for a moment.  Aom?  Did Prem mean the female class, representative?

"The class rep?"

Prem was still looking at his book.  "Hmm."

"She just wanted me to draw some stuff for the school festival."

"Was that all?"

Korn was confused.  What else could the class rep want from him?

"Yes, why are you asking anyway?"

Prem shrugged, "Nothing, I was just curious."

"Ai Prem... I know when you are hiding something from me.  What are you on about?"

"I heard she likes you."

Aom?  Liked him?  She was one of those pretty popular girls.  A perfect match for Prem, he thought glumly.  Was that why Prem was curious?  Did he like Aom?

Korn's heart sank, "Erm... does she?  Well, she didn't tell me anything out of the ordinary.  Don't worry; I'm sure it's just a ridiculous rumor."

Prem mumbled something in response.

"What did you just say?"

"I said I'm not worried.  You can like whoever you want."

"Prem, we are friends.  I would never have my eye on someone you like."