Chapter Four

Arthit tried to open his eyes.  His eyelids swollen from crying.  He refused to seem weak in Prem's eyes.  Arthit knew Prem didn't stick around to count the laps. But the rain hid his tears, and the physical pain was nothing compared to what he felt in his heart.

He should have thought about the consequences.  Now his entire body hurt.  Arthit turned to his side coming face to face with a sleeping figure.

On his bed, was Kongpob, in his vest and boxers.

Arthit was stunned.  Why was Kongpob there?

The events from the previous night slowly came to his mind.  Kongpob had helped him get to his room.

Maybe it was Kongpob, who helped him into dry, comfortable clothes.  Did Kongpob see his scars?  Arthit sat upright on the bed.  Did Kongpob also see the painting of Prem?  Why hadn't he taken it down!

Arthit's sudden movement awakened Kongpob.

"P' Arthit?  Are you alright?" he asked sleepily.

"Yeah...  Why are you still here?"

"P', you looked in so much pain.  So I couldn't just leave you alone."

"I would have been fine."

Kongpob smiled instead.  "You're welcome P' Arthit."

Arthit blushed, he had forgotten his manners.

"Thank you for helping me N' Kongpob."

"That wasn't hard now was it P' Arthit?  It's okay to get some help, you know."

Arthit looked away annoyed and relieved by Kongpob's presence.

"Do you want to rest some more, or can I get you something to eat?"

"You should go home Kongpob.  I think you helped me enough."

"Then, food it is."

********************

They were having breakfast when Kongpob decided to address what Arthit had been dreading.

"So... P' Prem huh?"

Arthit knew Kongpob was going to ask him about it.  But he wasn't expecting it this soon.

"Yeah," Arthit replied.  He was starting to feel uneasy.  Kongpob was going to judge him and stay away from him too.

"Why him?  He doesn't seem to be nice to you all!"

"He didn't use to be like that before.  I guess he didn't want to have anything to do with me after I told him how I felt."

"You confessed to him P' Arthit?" Kongpob seemed surprised.

"Yes, I did.  At the end of last year, I figured there was no point in hiding my feelings anymore.  I was an idiot. "

"No, you weren't."

"You don't understand, Kongpob."

"Do you still like him P' Arthit?"

"I don't know Kongpob and enough with the questions."

Kongpob was quiet and thoughtful.  Arthit knew it was only a matter of time until Kongpob starts avoiding him too.

"P' Arthit, my girlfriend is waiting for me, I have to go.  Can I have your phone number?"

"Why do you need it?"

"To see if you survive the rest of the day until I get back?"

Arthit sighed, there was something wrong with this kid.