Chapter Ten

Prem (present day )

Prem sat comfortably on the beach chair.  Being in charge of the annoying freshmen was taking a toll on him.  Finally a day had come for him to sit back and relax.

That had been the plan. 

The infamous 0062 had to argue with him and ruin his peace.  Prem hadn't liked the kid from the very beginning.  He was always in other people's business.

Prem saw Kongpob walking towards the sea.  He looked for Arthit, who was sitting far away from them.  Prem didn't intend to isolate Arthit; he only wanted him to stay away.  He didn't want anything to do with Arthit for many reasons. 

One thing led to another, and the rest of their friends had followed him.  A part of him didn't want Arthit to forget him either.  So, he made sure Arthit was always around.  

Prem did always keep a close eye on Arthit.  Given that Arthit never confronted him and did everything he was told to do.  Prem figured Arthit didn't care much about it.

Maybe some of the things he had asked Arthit to do were harsh.  But, he never expected Arthit to follow his orders strictly.  When he had heard Arthit had been running all day, Prem rushed to see if he was alright only to find Kongpob helping Arthit walk.

Prem had noticed how Kongpob always found an opportunity to talk to Arthit.  The sight of Kongpob smiling kindly at Arthit irritated Prem to no end.  Kongpob was stubborn and Prem's death glares didn't seem to discourage him.

Prem tried to get some rest listening to his friends singing along with the freshmen.

Bright was shouting by his ear, "Ai Prem!  I think someone is drowning!  Wait, is that Arthit?"

Prem quickly stood up, Arthit?  Why was Arthit anywhere near the sea?  The bastard didn't know how to swim!

He ran over to Arthit's unconscious body on the shore in panic.

Prem had hit the heist of his anger.  He wanted to kick Kongpob for putting Arthit in such a situation.  With the help of Knott, he carried Arthit to his room.  

Prem was holding Arthit's legs when he saw his shorts rile up.  Revealing a knee with deep cut marks.  Instantly he knew it wasn't from a fall.  The cuts were parallel.   Some of the scars looked like they were older, and some seemed fresh.

Prem felt as if he was injected by acid.  His entire body burned.  He couldn't breathe or think straight.  What had he done to his best friend?

Arthit was mumbling his name.  Why did Arthit still look for him after he had made Arthit so miserable to the point of hurting himself?  The imagination on Arthit hurting himself crying filled his head.  Prem was furious at himself.  He asked Knott to change Arthit's clothes and left the room.

The tears he had forced back were flowing freely.  He wiped them away angrily.  Prem never thought his actions would end up as a scar on Arthit's body, and probably even more profound in his soul.

Kongpob had confronted him.  Prem was shaking inside.  Kongpob already knew about it.  Kongpob was taking care of Arthit when he had been hurting him.

Prem undressed Arthit with shaking hands.  His eyes sought out for the scars.  As his eyes traced each line, he felt a stab in his heart.  He wanted to get out of the room as soon as possible.  Prem didn't want any of his friends to know about the scars. 

Prem got back to Bright and Toota.

"Is Arthit alright?" Toota asked.

"He should be, Knott is with him."

"Why would he run to rescue N' Kongpob?  What was he thinking?  Usually, he wouldn't even dip his legs in a pool," Bright asked, joining in.

"I think he has a soft spot for Kongpob.  Finally, you can stop bothering him Prem," Toota said looking at him meaningfully.  Toota had always dropped hints at how unreasonable Prem had been.  But Prem had always dismissed him.

Prem shut his eyes, remembering the day Arthit confessed.

Arthit wasn't even asking him if he liked him back.  Arthit only said how he liked Prem more than a friend in a regular conversation.

Deep down Prem liked Arthit more than a friend as well.  But he didn't want to be labeled as gay.  His family was a high profiled family.  He didn't want to be the one who dishonored his parents.  His brother was the perfect child admired by everyone.  Prem had big shoes to fill.  He didn't want to admit he liked men.

Prem pushed Arthit away from his life.  He didn't want to give in.  He tried to hate Arthit to make sure those feelings would go away.

He could have just rejected Arthit, but he hadn't, and Arthit, the brave and kind Arthit had to pay the price.

********************

Prem worried when he didn't see Arthit for almost a week.  It was never in Arthit's nature to skip class; he was a diligent student.  He wanted to apologize to Arthit and was determined to set everything right.

The drawing of him on Arthit's wall made him want to throw up.  Arthit had his face in his room even after everything he had done.

When Arthit calmly handed the picture to him, he physically felt Arthit let go.

Suddenly he was the one all alone.

Prem had impulsively kissed Arthit.  He wasn't afraid to confront his feelings anymore.  Prem didn't want Arthit to give up on him.

********************

Arthit had finally come to class. Prem wanted to give Arthit some space, but he also wanted to have a heart to heart talk with him at least once.  To tell him everything.  To protect Arthit and bring his smile back.

During break he carefully avoided the rest of the gang and walked towards Arthit's favorite place.  He always knew Arthit came to the lake to hide from them.

Just as he predicted Arthit was fast asleep under a tree.

Prem quietly sat next to Arthit.

Arthit was smiling in his sleep.

Prem couldn't help but touch the inviting pink plump lips.

Before he could pull it away, Arthit grabbed his hand in a tight grip.