Chapter Twenty-three

Arthit

Arthit entered his room with Prem following from behind.  Seeing Kongpob with his girlfriend was a hard pill to swallow.  He was going through a lot of emotions at the same time.  Maybe he was reading too much into what Kongpob was saying.  He was desperate to get any kind of mention about the past.  Was Kongpob really his Prem?

The way Kongpob slapped his hand away hurt him.  He shouldn't have expected anything else from Kongpob.  He was generally quite dutiful, and the girl was his lover after all.  Arthit collapsed on his bed.

Prem put his bag on his desk.

"Arthit, I have meant to ask you, do you like N' Kongpob?"

Arthit sighed.  Did he like Kongpob?  Or was he obsessed with the idea of Kongpob being the love of his past life?

"I don't know."

"He is a taken man Arthit."

"I know that!  You don't understand Prem.  It's more complicated than that," Arthit was exhausted.  He wanted the confusion to end.

"Forget about him Arthit.  I will say this until you completely believe me.  I will always be here for you.  Let those two be.  Don't break them apart."

Arthit looked skeptical.  "Break them apart?  If N' Kongpob loves her I can't do that can I?  Why do you think I am capable of doing such a thing?"

"I'm just saying, N' Kongpob might have paid attention to you because of how I treated you.  You know what kind of a person he is.  Don't misunderstand his intentions and get your hopes crushed," Prem answered quickly without meeting his eyes.

Prem had a point.  It made sense.

"On the other hand Arthit, I hope you give me another chance," Prem said quietly.

********************

Arthit hardly saw Kongpob anymore.  He was busy himself.  He missed seeing Kongpob.  Sometimes he saw Kongpob hang out with other first years in the cafeteria.  Arthit didn't have the strength to approach him.  Maybe his Prem isn't in this world.

He was walking towards his usual place by the lake. He had not been there in a while. The soft breeze always made him feel better.  He heard a girl call his name.

"Sawadee kha P' Arthit?"

It was Kongpob's girlfriend.

"Oh N', aren't you N' Kongpob's girlfriend?  As you can see he is not here.  Try the cafeteria."

"P', I wanted to see you."

If looks could kill, Arthit was sure if he'd be dead by now.

"What can I do for you N'."

"I don't want to be disrespectful, but I know you like men P'.  I'm happy for you, for being bold and open about it. But, can you please stop chasing after my boyfriend P'?  We were so happy together until you came along."

"N', I haven't spoken to your boyfriend since the last time you saw us together.  If my existence alone can threaten your relationship, there is nothing I can do about that."

"You changed him P' Arthit!  What have I ever done to you?" her voice was shaking.

Arthit's heart sank, but he was angry at the same time.

"I didn't do anything N'.  If you can't contain your man that's your problem."

"Can't you just like P' Prem?  Why does it have to be my Kong?"

Arthit watched her in shock.  He didn't say anything.  Too many questions crossed his mind.  How did this girl know about his history with Prem?  Why did she think he was threatening her relationship?  Did it mean Kongpob had some feelings towards him?

"N', I didn't do anything before.  But, thanks to you now I know I should be."

Arthit left the girl standing there speechless, by herself.

********************

Arthit didn't care if his actions were unethical.  He had suffered long enough.  One lifetime had separated him from his love.  He wasn't going to let another lifetime do it again.  He had nothing to lose.  If Kongpob were not his Prem, then he wouldn't be causing any harm, could he?

He read through the diaries over and over again.  Looking for anything he could use to make Kongpob remember him.

The envelopes he found in the box turned out to be love letters.  Written by him or Korn.  Arthit absorbed himself into their story.  He can't give up again, and he didn't want to. 

According to the diaries it looked like Prem was a hopeless romantic, who did everything he could to make Korn smile.

Arthit got the bottle of cologne in his hand.  It was surreal to think it had belonged to him more than two decades ago.

An idea hit his mind. 

Kongpob may not recognize Arthit, but he might recognize Korn.

********************

Bright burst out laughing as soon as he saw Arthit.

"Why the hell do you look like you walked out from the nineties?  Not to be mean, but you look hideous."

Bright circled Arthit and looked at Toota

"Is this your idea?"

Toota who was smirking at Arthit seemed offended.

"Ai Bright, why would I suggest such a ridiculous makeover?"

"Because you don't want others to fall for your boyfriend?" Bright said bitterly.

Toota rolled his eyes.  "He is still not over our trip," he told Arthit.

"You smell weird too!  Did you get a new cologne?" Bright asked Arthit.

"Yeah, you can say that," Arthit said uncomfortably.  He couldn't stand to look at Toota's judgmental stare.

"Anyway, I will leave you lovebirds.  I can't tolerate the tension.  I will join the loners club with Ai Knott."

Toota sighed, "Have a good time loser."

"I think Bright is jealous.  Maybe he likes you," Arthit said to Toota.

"Nah.. he has a dry spell these days, so he is whining for attention," Toota replied casually.  "Don't even try to change the subject Arthit.  You are way more evil and despicable than I thought!"

"Hey!  That's not it.  I happen to like this look."

"Of course you do.  Ha!  I knew you weren't the little angel everyone thinks you are.  I imagined you would do something to see if Kongpob was the person you are looking for.  But to make yourself look identical to your past self and wear a cologne that's probably unhealthy on your skin too.  I wouldn't have ever seen that one coming!"

To Arthit's irritation, Toota was having a great time teasing him.

"I'm not hurting anyone.  I want to know if it's him," Arthit said annoyed.

Toota raised his hand indicating a high five.

"I'm all in."

***********************************************

A/N - I hope you guys aren't waiting for me to update daily. I am a bit busy these days. So enjoy this little update for now!