Chapter Twenty-six

"N' Kongpob?  Do you believe in reincarnation?"

The words choked him as he asked Kongpob the question.

For the first time since they met that day Kongpob made eye contact with him.  Arthit felt his lips dry.

"Reincarnation?" Kongpob chuckled.  "P' Arthit, what made you think of reincarnation?"

Arthit was disheartened at Kongpob's reaction.

"I don't know.  It just came to my head.  Do you?"

"I admit it's a fascinating concept.  But I don't believe in anything that can't be scientifically proven."

Arthit tried hard not to show his disappointment.

"So hypothetically speaking if someone comes to you and says they know you from their previous life you wouldn't believe them."

Kongpob laughed, "P' Arthit, would anyone believe that?"

"You are right.  That does sound crazy."  Arthit uncomfortably laughed along with him.

"P' Arthit, do you believe in reincarnation?" asked Kongpob.

Arthit looked at the display of cards in front of them.

"Do you think this card is appropriate for P' Tum?"

Their conversation changed direction.

Arthit wanted to get away from Kongpob.

********************

He returned to his room as soon as possible, completely heartbroken.  He didn't blame Kongpob.  Anyone would find his story absurd.

If Kongpob didn't remember him after all his efforts, it was clear he was mistaken.

He opened the last of Prem's diaries and tuned to the last page Prem had written.

**********************

23.05.1993

I can't stop myself from telling Korn how much I love him.  He is probably tired of hearing it.  But I never get tired saying it.  The few hours we spend apart from each other every day is getting harder for me to bear.  Does he know what he is doing to me?

********************

Arthit sighed.  There was a time he had been dearly loved.  He was envious of his past self.  Had he been chasing after an illusion?

He absentmindedly flipped through the rest of the blank pages.  He almost missed the page that had something written on it.  Arthit hadn't seen it before.

For you, I decided to breathe.  For you, I decided to live.  I was fortunate enough to be loved by you.  My heart and my soul will only belong to you.  I hope one day we will meet again under the same sky.

Please wait for me

Arthit hugged the diary to his chest.  The pain his 'Prem' might have gone through was unimaginable.  He sobbed.  Why had fate been so cruel to them?

"I'm sorry I left you all alone Prem.  I'm sorry I let go of your hand," he whispered crying.

Prem had lived in a world where he didn't exist.

Maybe now it was his turn.

********************

"Ai Arthit?  Are you alright?  Why do you look like the world has come to an end?" Toota asked him.