1 ~ One Summer's Night

A/N

Just to let you know, THIS IS NOT THE FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES! In fact, it's the third! I'd suggest you read The Time Before and A Name to Remember before you read this one, otherwise some things won't make sense!

Anyway, if you've already done that, then enjoy the story!

§

It's rather unfortunate, you think, that the thunderstorm has occurred.

Today was supposed to have been a nice day. A celebratory day. It was the day marking two years since the Barrier had been destroyed, and one year since Mt. Ebbot had officially become the territory of the Monster Kingdom.

Sans and Papyrus had offered their home for the location of the celebration. Located on an isolated cliff up the side of Mt. Ebbot, the brothers' house was quite nearly just a modified version of their house in Snowdin: it had a bigger living room to accommodate for more guests, several guest bedrooms, and a wraparound porch on the front, with some deck furniture set up for a nice view off the mountain. The house had been one of the first permanent residences built when monsters had been freed.

And, currently, it's where you, Sans, Papyrus, Toriel, Asgore, Flowey, Undyne, and Alphys are holed up, waiting out the storm. It's a rather ferocious one, and no one wants to be driving down a mountain in the weather.

On the bright side, there are, thanks to Papyrus, plenty of places for guests to sleep in the house, so it's okay if you have to stay the night.

Still, though. You had hoped that you all could watch the sunset together, as you had that first day, rather than being stuck inside.

But you all are on the surface, so you suppose everything is all right. Not to mention that you're all togeth-

"Sans? Where are you going?"

Your thoughts are interrupted by Papyrus's voice, questioning Sans as he rises from the couch.

"outside." Sans responds simply, heading for the door.

"In this weather?" Toriel frets. "Whatever for?"

Sans just gives a little shrug before stepping out the door.

A slightly worried look crosses Papyrus's face, and he goes to follow his brother outside. After a moment, you get up and followed, too.

Luckily, Sans has not gone farther than the porch, which has a roof. So you don't have to go out in the rain.

Sans is standing at the very edge of the porch, eyesockets closed, face tilted upward. A small, quiet smile twitches at the edge of his jaw.

"Sans, what are you-" Papyrus cuts himself off, flinching just a little as a bolt of lightning split the sky, followed moments later by a peal of thunder. After so long in the Underground without the severe weather of the Surface, Papyrus still finds thunder rather startling.

Sans, though, doesn't move. He seems content to stay just on the edge of the porch. When the last rumbles of the thunder have died off, fading back to the steady fall of rain, Sans speaks. "the thunder's really not so scary, pap."