89 ~ The End

As promised, this is a summary of What Would have Happened were I to finish NOiHWT as I had planned. I suppose, as is being done here, there's also going to be some commentary on my part, haha.

Anyway, though. Onward.

I think the biggest problem with the story, the biggest loose end that I wasn't sure of how to tie in would be Matt and Elise. "But everyone loves them," I bet you're saying, "And they fit in so well!"

Yeah, well, that's the problem. They weren't supposed to fit in. They weren't supposed to stick around. Heck, they weren't even supposed to have names, originally, much less move in and have a kid. But they did, and so I had to make things up as I went, hoping they wouldn't cause any more problems than they already had. Because I was unprepared for them. I didn't know where they were going, what they were doing there. Everything involving them beyond the first two chapters of their appearance was a spur of the moment, "Oh! I can stick them in here!" decision.

But anyway.

Most of the remaining chapters were going to contain shenanigans not unlike the vast majority of recent chapters- recent meaning, the ones last published, as I suppose, relatively speaking, a year without a single chapter is not "recent." But regardless, they were going to be generally lighthearted, fun times. You know, hanging out with Sans and Papyrus, training and anime with Undyne and Alphys, arguments with Flowey, general chaos at the lab while Gaster insisted he had everything under control. And all the while, in the background, construction on the new CORE would be in progress.

And eventually, the CORE would be completed, and thousands of people would be there to witness its grand opening. There would even be news crews- monster and human, at Toriel's disgression- to record the event.

And there would be Gaster, striding through the doors just as the cameras started rolling, and he would be grinning enthusiastically, and walking with purpose, and he would be spattered in blood, and he would be dragging along a human body.

This was, I think, the only thing I had really truly planned when I realized Matt and Elise would be sticking around for a while; it would be Matt whom Gaster had first slain.

Frisk would reload their save, of course, once they got  over the initial shock. But they would find that, despite the resets not supposing to affect Gaster, he would not be there. He would've teleported back to start over, complete his goal again. It would take Frisk several tries to find Matt and Gaster within the CORE before Gaster killed Matt. And there it would be revealed that it was not, in fact, Gaster who was killing Matt.

Back when Gaster had escaped the Void, it had only been via the Determination that Chara had poured into his Soul in the moments they had had it, and it was Chara's Determination that he continued to use to exist.

And, just as in the end of the genocide route, his constant reliance on Chara's Determination allowed Chara some control over his Soul, and, by extension, him.

And every unexplainable accident to occur in the lab- every accident right down to the explosion that had almost shattered Gaster's Soul- was their doing, subtly influencing him without him fully realizing. (Though, that time, they had not accounted on him jumping in front of Papyrus; it was never their intention to endanger Gaster, as then they would lose their connection to the world.) Gaster did, however, know Chara was there, murmuring in the back of his head. And every time after every mishap that he had insisted he was in control, he had been speaking to Chara- and maybe even himself, trying to convince himself of his control.

But now, after so long of biding their time and gathering their strength, Chara had- just as they would've if Frisk had really completed the genocide route- finally taken control of Gaster. When asked why, they would explain it was merely to finish what they had tried to start with Asriel- to wipe humanity off the face of the earth, this time with a nigh indestructible body and all the power of the Void- not to mention Gaster's own innate hatred for humanity, as opposed to Asriel's innocence, meaning less resistance.