40 ~ Conversations

The morning after Christmas, you wake up early. Not by choice, you just kinda... wake up at six in the morning. You decide you might as well get up then, since you're already awake. Get an early start to the day.

As you head for the kitchen, you hear Papyrus and Gaster's voices. Right before you step into the kitchen, though, you hear what they're talking about, and pause, leaning back against the wall to listen.

"-true what you said last night?" Papyrus is asking. "About-... About me and Sans? We're not-..."

There's a moment of silence. Then, "Papyrus. Listen. You and Sans? You're both made from pieces of me. You've both got a piece of my Soul beating in your chest. You are mine, my son, regardless of how you were made, and I love you. In fact, I think it's only because of how you were made that I can be here today- you both have a piece of me in you, still a part of my Soul in existence, and I think it's only because of that, because of you that I'm able to exist like this. So don't think ever, for even just a second, that the way you were made in any way affects how much I love you. Okay?"

There's another moments of silence, presumably in which Papyrus nods. Then, "But..."

"Yeah?" Comes Gaster's gentle response.

"But why? You said-... you said you made us to be weapons--... why? Why would you want to make weapons, when weapons hurt people?"

You hear Gaster sigh a long, heavy sigh. "Because-... Because I wanted to hurt people."

Papyrus makes a sort of surprised noise.

"Just-... listen for a moment, okay? Please?" Gaster asks.

"... Okay."

"Papyrus-... As nice as I may seem, I am not a very good person. In the war-... A lot of my friends and family got hurt- and even killed. And when monsters got sealed Underground, I blamed the humans for everything. I was very hurt and sad and mad, and thought that-... that if I could hurt the humans back, it would make everything better." Gaster's next words are so quiet you almost can't hear them- "There's still a lot of me that thinks that way." Then he sighs. "I was so hurt and angry that I wanted to make the strongest weapons to destroy humanity. So I-..."

"You made Sans." Papyrus whispers.

"... Yeah. I made Sans."

"And-..." Papyrus hesitates. "And you forced him-..."

Gaster sighs again. "All of the experiments I did to make Sans stronger also made my LOVE rise, and.. I ignored how much I was hurting him. And when he tried to tell me, I still ignored him, and that hurt him really badly. He started to lose hope. So I-... I made you, and he loved you. He held on to protect you from becoming my test subject instead."

There's a long stretch of silence.

Then, "You said-... we escaped. And almost died."

"... Yeah. I-... I still don't know how. But Sans got the both of you out of there, and to a hotel in New Home."

Oh! You realize. That's how they got there!

"And then?"

"And then... It was... a very long time until I saw you again. ... You remember how I said your Soul has a piece of mine in it?" There's a pause, in which you presume Papyrus nods. "Well, your and Sans' Souls started to fall apart back to that one piece, and I was the only one who could fix it. And-... And doing that, saving your lives... I guess... It reminded me of when my Lv was low and..." Gaster sighs. "And I let it go."

They're both quiet for a long time.

And then Papyrus speaks up. "You're wrong!"

"Hm?" Gaster sounds kind of surprised at Papyrus's outburst.

"You said you weren't a good person, but you are! If you weren't a good person, then you wouldn't have chosen to do the right thing and save us! So see, you are a good person!"

Gaster chuckles a little. "Where you got your unending mercy from, Papyrus, I will never know."

"Well, obviously!" Papyrus laughs. "It had to come from you! All of me came from you! And that's just more proof that you're not only a good person, but a great one! Nyeh heh heh!!"

There's a bit of a shuffling sound, and you have the distinct impression that Papyrus has hugged Gaster.

"Thank you, Papyrus." Gaster murmurs.

"Of course, you're welcome!" Papyrus responds.

Then, from down the hall, you faintly hear Toriel's bedroom door creak open as she leaves her room, and you decide now is the time to enter the kitchen, lest she finds you listening to a conversation not for you.

As you slip in the doorway, you see Gaster and Papyrus at the table, each with a plate of leftovers from last night for breakfast.

Papyrus smiles at you. "Good morning, Frisk!"

"Morning, Papyrus." You smile back at him.

Gaster just gives you a suspicious look.

As you're getting some leftovers out of the fridge, Toriel comes into the kitchen.

You sit down with your food and start eating, while Toriel goes about preparing herself a proper breakfast- she argues that leftovers are good for lunch and sometimes dinner, but not breakfast.

While she's doing that, Sans comes into the kitchen, looking half asleep. He also gets a plate of leftovers, and sits on Gaster's left- Papyrus is on Gaster's right.

And then Toriel sits down at the table. "Good morning, everyone." She begins. "Frisk, if you do not mind, I have a rather important question for you."

§

A/N

I... honestly do not have anything interesting to say here. :/

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it! Comments and votes are my Favorite Things, and every notification I get makes my day!