71 ~ True Heroes

New year's day comes soon, and your winter break is over unfortunately quickly. Soon, tomorrow, in fact, you'll be returning to school.

Today, however, Gaster is sitting in your kitchen as Toriel tries to convince him that he should teach a science class at your school. He's putting up a firm argument ("No. Public schools are stupid, and they fill potentially bright students' heads with crap.") but Toriel is putting up an equally strong counterargument ("So help me make it so public school is worthwhile.") It seems as though the argument may be going on for some time.

After letting Toriel know where you're going, you pull on your coat and snow boots and head outside.You don't have a particular destination in mind, but you figure it's your last day of freedom, so you might as well spend it outside. Eventually, you find yourself wandering up the side of Mt. Ebott, heading for the entrance of the Underground.

When you get there, you see Undyne. She is, surprisingly, wearing a thick coat and gloves, bundled up against the cold, and sitting on the edge of the path, looking out over the town.

You come sit next to her. She greets you with a small nod, her expression unnaturally solemn.

"What're you doing up here?" You ask.

Undyne gives you a sidelong glance. "I could ask the same of you, Frisk!"

You just laugh. "Well, I just came outside, and my feet carried me here!"

Undyne laughs, but her expression quickly slips back into the quiet brooding one she wore before.

"What's wrong?"

Undyne swings her feet over the edge of the cliff, her boots clunking against the stone. "I just can't stop thinking..." she sighs. "Ever since Christmas... learning that Gaster knew my parents... and saw them die..."

"... I thought you weren't mad at him?" Your question is purely out of curiosity.

"I'm not!" Undyne is quick to clarify. "I'm happy he told me! I-... I just wish I knew my parents better. It's just... here's another person who was close friends with them, but they were gone before I even could remember them! I want to know what they were like..."

"Well..." you say slowly, one gloves hand rising to your chin. "They were obviously just as cool as you are. And I bet your dad had really big muscles!" Undyne gives you a strange look, but you continue. "And your mom is probably where you got your hair from. I can just imagine a beautiful fish-lady-princess, with the most amazing, flowing red hair!"

Undyne blinks a little, frowning thoughtfully.

You grin at her. "I bet she was a warrior princess! And she was so impressed by your dad on the battlefield that they got married right then and there! While they were fighting, back to back!"

Slowly, a wide grin creeps across Undyne's face as she begins to understand what you're doing. "Yeah! I bet that, together, they were the best warriors on the battlefield! They sent the enemy humans running!"

The two of you keep it up, slowly building in your minds a picture of Undyne's parents, as well as a dramatic story to go with them.

It goes something like this: Undyne's mom had, for many years, been asked by many suitors for her hand, but she was determined that she should remain single for all her days, loudly proclaiming that only a man strong enough to beat her in a fight was strong enough to take her hand in marriage.

Meanwhile, Undyne's dad was a young lone warrior among the Royal Guard. He participated in the group exercises, and worked with a team, but his true strength was in his own muscles, in defending a town singlehandedly, without help. It was because of this that he was promoted to Captain of the Royal Guard, a position that he easily filled.

It was around then, you imagine, that Undyne's dad caught sight of her mother, and it was love at first sight- on his side, not hers. And because Undyne's dad's specialty was in melee combat, versus many opponents rather than one, he was soundly beaten by Undyne's mom.

Of course, this only made him love her more.

She, though, was having none of it, and more or less forgot about him after disgracefully depositing him in the street via a third story window after their battle.

Until one day, she was on the battlefield, surrounded by more enemies than she could take on her own (that means upwards of five thousand at once) when suddenly, he was there, right beside her, weapon in hand and a smile on his face.

And then they fought together like it was a dance they had practiced together for years, and this was the big debut of the show. They fought for twelve hours straight, back to back, never once dropping their guard.

And when it was all through, still standing in the middle of the battlefield, he turned, got down on one knee, and pulled out the ring he had gotten the day he had seen her, and asked her to marry him.

This time, she said yes, and they were wed the very next day.

And that, you and Undyne decide, is how her parents met.

"Undyne," you say, "your parents were true heroes."

Undyne laughs, her loud, boisterous laugh, and this time, the upset expression doesn't come back. "Yeah! They were!"

The two of you spend a few more hours sitting there, talking about how no doubt heroic her parents were, and laughing and enjoying yourselves all the while. Eventually, Toriel calls your phone to tell you dinner is ready (you can hear Gaster shouting in the background that the entire thing is a Dog-blasted mess of an education system!) and Undyne offers to carry you down the mountain to go a bit faster. You agree, and end up making it home in about ten minutes, just in time to see Gaster storming out of the house, tossing over his shoulder, "-and I will not be teaching that Dog-blasted class because dangit, I'm the Royal Scientist, and for crying out loud, I've got better things to do!" before simply vanishing.

You say goodbye to Undyne and she returns your smile, and then you head inside for dinner.

§

A/N

One day, a small mouse was getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner. She had the entire meal set out on the table, and all the dishes were in their places.

As she sat down, ready to eat, she couldn't help but muse over all the things she was thankful for. There was her mouse family, and her warm little mouse nest, of course. And her phone and computer, and all the wonderful technology in her life.

And...

And she was thankful for all the people who read her silly little stories and liked her funny little ideas, and she was especially thankful for her amazing writing skill, with which she could craft stories and bring enjoyment to so many people.

There were many other things to add to the list, of course, but the mouse was quite hungry, and those cheesy potatoes smelled simply amazing, so she stuck an et cetera on the end, and started to dig in.

Not far away, unbeknownst to the mouse, another being had been privy to the mouse's words.

The writer's block looked from its own twisted paws to the mouse.

She had been so sincere with her thanks, appreciating the words that came so naturally to her, that, for once, the writer's block was loath to take them from her. So, with a small sigh of longing for the delicious creativity it was missing out on, the writer's block turned and left the small mouse alone.

And the mouse, unaware of the whole conflicting encounter, enjoyed her cheesy potatoes.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it! Comments and votes are my Favorite Things, and every notification I get makes my day!

And if you live in the USA, happy Thanksgiving!