Chapter Seven - He Won't be Leaving

The clouds playfully danced through the sky, swirling around one another in joyous games that only something as simple as those white puffy beings would understand. You glanced around, enjoying the rather calm scenery of the sky, high above the bustling cities and separated from the strain of the ground life. Especially when the man driving this flying broomstick wasn't trying to zip around the sky as if it were a race car, that was also a pleasant add-on to your already calmed self.

"... You know, it'd be nice to read up here." You almost whispered, as if the slightest noise would ruin the tranquility of the moment.

"What?" Xavier questioned, a sudden amount of volume in his voice making you flinch. Calmness, disintegrated by the childish pilot.

"... It's real quiet up here," You shot him an accusing glance that he took with a small confused blink, as if he had no idea what he had done. He probably didn't, actually. "Some place like this, clouds all around, and floating around on a broom... It sounds nice, right?" You questioned rather distantly, as if you were somewhere entirely in this moment.

Only with you. Was his immediate thought, a large smile crossing his face as he gazed over at you. Even though he enjoyed the sight, there was a noticeable pang in his chest of you not returning the attention he gave. ... What do clouds have that I don't?... I could make her all the cotton candy in the world! That's real close to a cloud- But it can be pink, and it's made almost entirely of sugar! He thought with a snort of annoyance."... Speaking of books," He suddenly brought up, yanking you rather roughly back into the present, that smile only enlarging as your eyes met. Perfect. Back to the real world, eh, sugar-bell?

"Yeah?"

"So, you said you got that old spell book from an antique shop, right?... Well, who'd you trade it from? Who's the owner of the... Trade place, I mean." He questioned, tilting his head slightly and leaning back rather calmly on the broom, blissfully unaware a fall from this height would definitely kill him. Well, probably. You barely grasped how the man existed, let alone how he would die, or something along those lines. How did he repopulate? Could he even-?

You stopped that train of thought right then and there to answer his question. "... I got it from an old man. He got it from a... A guy who basically just chucked the book at him, and ran." You explained with a small sigh as the other's face turned to a slight frown.

"... So, you don't know who came up with the spell?" He had hoped to find out who knew of him. It would be some kind of closure of the undeniable loneliness he felt behind that damned moon- Something to remember that... That he was something. That he wasn't entirely invisible to the human world. People... They always focus on... On the other stuff. They dress up as... Weird creatures. Things I've never seen- But none of them dress up as me. On my holiday. It's funny actually! Yeah... Funny... He glanced away briefly, soon recovering from those deeper, more unwanted thoughts.

"... That's okay... I'm glad... I'm glad at least you know of me now!" He chirped, smiling brightly once more to your own surprise. You had believed that for the first time since you both met, he'd actually start crying. However, here he was- back into the swing of things once again. Even in that current moment of shock, you still managed your own grin to his child-like self.

"... I'm happy you're happy, man."

The rest of that day glided past. It was rather hollow, filled with nothing more than silly conversations you shared, and even new memories of you reading to the man. You had read some of your own short stories, which he happily listened to, one chapter after the next he simply seemed to absorb with grateful ears.

And by the time you were ready for bed, all tuckered out from a busy day of reading vocally to the man, who would pick out from a list of stories you had to offer, he still had other plans besides simply slumber. But yet, so did you.

Alright... I just need to find another spell to send him back... Halloween is coming up, and- You glanced through the window, gazing up at that brightly glimmering moon, almost as if it were taunting you. Silently saying how you couldn't send the literal spirit of Halloween back, and there was nothing that could be done about it! Nothing!

You shook off that emotion, busily skimming through page after page of words of that huge ancient book. A mixture of feelings swept through you, the anxiety of accidentally spawning yet another creature if you read something wrong, or the possibility of actually getting sent to another dimension or something supernatural such as that also lurked over your shoulder. There was also the nervous joy that slithered along your thoughts, the possibility of him disappearing and you once again being left alone happily. Obviously, you'd miss the man, you couldn't lie about that.

He was a very happy little firefly in this world of dirty moths, those small buzzing wings fluttering as his orb of glittering light shined as bright as it could. However, you also understood that he didn't belong here. This wasn't his world- maybe even not his universe. He belonged behind the moon where his home was. You didn't want to think of his living conditions that made him call it a prison rather than a place of residing, as that only made you feel more guilty than before. "... I'm sorry, Xaver... But you have to go home..." You murmured to yourself, sliding from one line of text to the next.

What? He stood there, body stiffening. Those pale muscles had turned ridged, bones halting as if they had suddenly transformed into solid marble. Did... Did I hear her correctly? He thought, a dangerous fist forming at his side. Those deep brown orbs flickered into rage, a twitch noticeable in the corner of his eye. What-... Does she not... Love me? He questioned reluctantly, the very thought making rage surge through his veins, blood beginning to boil to sweltering temperatures. He gave a nasty glare to that book through the partially ajar bedroom door, the one that had the possibility of sending him home, back behind that wretched caging moon. He almost wanted to spit at it- the floating sphere in the sky. However, he refrained from doing so, not desiring to alert you as he whirled away as slickly as a mysterious black cat, now slipping off into the living room once again to retrieve his broom. He had planned on nightly lurking as he had done before, possibly giving you a few playful licks as he had thought of on the broom ride. However, as he slipped down the hall, and poked his head through that slit open door...

He now had new deadly plans for this night.

He flew high above, over rooftops at blazing speeds that the fastest man alive could not hope to achieve. The cold night air whipped through his midnight colored cloak, and wrestled with the strands of light brown curly hair atop his head, however he remained unfazed. A determined expression was laced in his dark chocolate gaze, those lips pulled into a tight straight line barely managing to hold back his enraged curses. She doesn't love me! How is this possible?! Someone who loved me- They wouldn't try sending me back into my prison!... He growled to himself, gripping the rough bark of his broomstick harsher, feeling his pale flesh get cut ever so slightly as he felt a slash of betrayal, and rage slice through his beating heart, the bark on his transportation becoming harder, and more ridged.

He had goals of reaching the antique store, hoping the man was either still there, or was just leaving. Louis, the one who had given you that damned book would pay for this. And if he was not present, Xavier could wait for hours, days, years even until the male returned. If he never did, Xavier would find him. He would make sure you never had a chance of removing him from this world. His chosen world. Or from your side, your desired side.

He pulled one hand away from the rough bark, now tucking it into his jean pocket. Very slowly did he pull out a small partially crinkled bright orange wrapper. Within was a small caramel piece of candy, a delicious one he had planned to save for himself that exact night. "I've never... Killed someone before... But hey..." He gave a strange grin, one that stretched from ear to ear eerily as he gazed down at the sweet held in his palm carefully. "... There is always a first time for everything." He enclosed his fist on the candy, it's previously intentions of a delicious treat now eliminated to become a tool of murder.

You wouldn't get rid of him.