Chapter Twenty - The Scythe

You felt silent tears welling up in your eyes, threatening to trail down your cheeks as your lower lip gave a twitch of a tremble. You watched the door from afar, happy Xavier had left as you remained standing there alone. That is, until you remembered the presence of Markus.

"I'm- Okay-" Came the awkward, and rather crackly voice of Markus from behind, a rustle of leaves heard as the man once again stood up. He was probably planning on adding something to his statement, although then noticed how your figure was slightly shaking, even when you desired for yourself to be strong and stand still like a brick wall.

"... Hey... Are-... Oh... Yeah." He finished his broken dialogue, not adding anything else after that as he now gauchely climbed through the window, and properly into your line of sight, him staring down at you apprehensively. You glanced up towards his face, your eyes outlined in a puffy redness from freshly beginning to cry, meanwhile the male that stood before you had thorns stuck all over his clothes, dotting the fabric in small holes and making him look somewhat like a thorn bush himself. His skin had numerous scratches, some bleeding while there were a couple of the thorns still dug deep into his flesh that he probably didn't dare pull out by himself. His blonde hair was ruffled, and speckled with crinkly, dead and brown leaves, glasses were meanwhile crooked and his shoes were now coated in another layer of mud since it was still raining outside.

He blinked, watching you sniffle slightly before now putting his arms out to try and hug you rather gawkily, definitely nervous and unsure on how to comfort or react to this. "No- I'm fine-" You nudged his arms away from yourself, shaking your head lightly as you gazed up towards him, his cheeks already heating up from the embarrassment of the failure of a comforting embrace. ".... Besides, you're covered in thorns..." You muttered, now reaching out with your own hand and grasping ahold of his wrist, guiding him to a sitting position on the side of the bed where you shortly joined his side.

"... Sorry." He muttered soon after a short silence had taken place, both of you sitting next to each other rather stiffly, him gazing down towards the floor as you reached over to begin your work of removing the thorns from his clothing and flesh.

"... It's fine. You didn't do anything... I just don't need a hug." You mumbled with a shrug, now quickly yanking out one of the thorns from the back of his hand, earning a small wince from the male. "But anyways," You decided to carry on the conversation to a different subject. "Back on the... Book thing." You muttered, now plucking out all of the little thorns on his side, and legs, which didn't hurt as the ones you were grabbing were only stuck in his clothes, not his skin, thankfully. ".... You have any idea who the guy was that gave it to Louis? Louis told me he didn't know who did, but judging by the fact you were able to find some kind of dictionary on the words, you might've found the guy who made the book?" You questioned, glancing up to him as you placed his hand in your lap, where a few lingering thorns stuck out of his fingers and palm like a pin cushion.

He slowly shook his head sadly enough, fingers twitching slightly with each pull of those nasty thorns. "... No, I didn't. I couldn't get a single author or even a manufacturer of this book. So, of course it's probably an original, and this is the only copy. But I kind of figured that from the beginning. And since they got rid of it, I'm assuming they don't even live in this area. Might've dumped it and ran." He sighed, shaking his head while you continued your removal process.

"... I don't understand... Whoever made this book knew exactly what it could do... Why would they just throw it at some random guy? Especially in an antique shop of all places, where they probably know it'll be bought and sold, maybe into the wrong hands of someone?" You questioned, now tugging out a few of the small thorns from his other hand. Markus only shrugged, straightening his glasses with his newly thorn-free limb, and glancing towards the bedroom door, probably inspecting briefly to make sure Xavier wasn't going to barge in anytime soon.