Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"What game?" I ask cautiously.

"Twenty questions and that was your first question, now its my turn." he said with a laughter in his eyes.

I laughed a little because that wasn't what I was expecting. Of course I didn't know what to expect in the first place, just not this.

"Ok, my first question is  what is you full name?"

"Sophia Addia Therian. What is your full name?"

"Levi Darren Kane."

After that it was pretty much the regular cliché questions, like favorite colors and things like that. When we finished with the game he probably knew more about me than anyone else besides my brother and my friends. The last question was probably the worst one though.

"Why don't you want a mate?"

I had to think about that for a few minutes, because I am very complicated person.

"Well I just never wanted one in the first place, but to answer your question more specifically I don't want the bond that connects mates. That bond that makes mates so close that if one dies then the other will die with them no matter what, the bond that can make them feel anything especially pain. The most important thing is that I don't want them to end up hurting me. I have seen to many mate relationships fail, actually more often than not I have seen them break apart."

I look at Levi with sad eyes and stares back at me with the same look.

"You know I was always taught that mates will always have a power over you, but the connection between them is worth it. The bond that makes them love each other unconditionally and that makes them never want to be apart. The mating bond can be a double edge sword, but when both mates love each other it is the best feeling in the world. I can only hope to share that with my mate someday."

As Levi was talking I could see a look of longing and a hint of desperation in his eyes. The way he talked about mates kind of made me want to have something like that.

"When you talk about mates like that it sounds so appealing."

"Well that is what I grew up hearing and seeing all around me. When I hear you talking about mates it makes me think that you have only seen the bad side of the mating process. Trust me on this there is a good side and I can't wait until I find my mate, hopefully tomorrow I will find her during the games. By the way I promise that the games are not as bad as you might think. You probably also grew up listening to all the scary tales of the frightening mating games."

"Well I guess I will just have to have an open mind going into them. Can I ask you one more question, since the first one I asked wasn't even really fair?"

"Well you just did, but I guess you can ask one more." He told me trying not to laugh.

"Why don't mates sense each other before the games? How don't they know who their mate is before the games even start?"

"Well the way my parents explained it to me was that a long time ago everyone met their mate on one specific day and nobody knew why then they saw that every year on that day there was a red moon, the red moon enhances the scent of she wolves. Their scent calls out to their male counterpart, but they can only scent them out from a certain distance. That is when the council decided to bring all the unmated wolves together during the blood moon so everyone would have the chance to find their mates. "

"That makes a lot more sense than wolves just randomly coming together and spontaneously finding their mates." I laughed a little at my own stupidity.

Levi and I floated around until it started getting dark. When we saw the moon rising I sighed and turned to him.

"I have to back to the house my pack is staying at so they know I am still alive."

I smiled at him and stood there awkwardly for a second remembering that I didn't have any clothes on. I gestured for him to get out before me, bet he just leaned back against a rock with his hands behind his head and smirked at me. Now I knew he wasn't going to get out any time soon so I glared at him, but he didn't seem affected in the least bit.

I turned away from him, trying to save my dignity. I slowly started walking to the shore. When my shoulders started to break the surface of the water I decided to torture Levi since he was torturing me. I look back and wink at him before I rise out of the water so he could see my bare backside. I swing my hips as  I walk all the way to the shore and when I am fully out of the water I turn my head back to look at him and see lust in his eyes. I laugh at him then turn into my wolf and start to walk back to where the house is.

I arrive at the mansion that my pack is staying at and Max is sitting in a chair right in front of the door obviously waiting for me to arrive. I walk to the chair opposite of him and wait for him to start talking.

"Where were you Sophia? Do you know how worried we were? Do you know what your brother would have done if those rogues would have kidnapped you?"

"I am sorry Max, but I had to get some air and think about things, and I wasn't alone. I was perfectly safe, don't worry. I am here now and that's all that matters. Can I go to bed now? I would like to get some sleep before the games tomorrow."

Max looked at me, sighed then nodded his head for me to go. I walked over to him and gave him a little hug and said thanks before I went and passed out on my bed.