May the 4th Be With You! | Bodhi Rook

requested by tamii_to

//

He knew that they would fail. He knew it from the moment his eyes landed upon the sandy beaches of Scarif. He knew, but he did not say. Not when there was hope to hold on to.

Not fail. To die does not mean to fail. As long as the Rebellion has a chance, then it will not have been a failure.

To Rogue One, it was clear that there was nothing left for them to go home to. They knew that everything they had was here, on the ship.

Not true.

Alone on the ship, Bodhi dug in his pockets and pulled out a single silver chain, slightly busted and attached to a now broken Kyber crystal.

Although Bodhi never spoke of it, he had left something - someone - behind.

You remained at the Empire, waiting for the day you could escape. Bodhi promised that you would know when it was safe for you. He would do something, he would make a change, and you would have a chance. A chance with him.

It happened when he heard the clatter of the bomb as it was tossed inside of the ship. It happened when he saw the orange burst out of the center, enveloping all around it in its heat.

He thought of you, still waiting for him at the Death Star, pretending to be loyal to a government you did not believe was just.

He felt the cold chain around his neck, the weight of the crystal against his bare chest inside of shirt. It offered him a feeling of comfort.

You had given it to him so he wouldn't forget you. You had pressed it into his palm, intertwined your fingers, and begged before letting go. It had broken his heart to see your teary eyes as you did so.

Now, he was grateful he had a piece of you with him.

It only hurt for a second, and then it was over.

...

You had reason to believe that Bodhi Rook was dead.

Months had gone by and he never did return to you. You often checked the list of prisoners at every base, hoping and praying to the Force that he was in one of the cells. He never was.

Rumors got around quickly. There were stories of a group of rebels that discovered a flaw in the Death Star. A pilot had delivered them to the planet, Scarif, which no longer existed. Now, the Empire was in danger of being attacked.

You knew that pilot was Bodhi.

He had given everyone a chance. He had given the rebels a chance, the prisoners, the ones like you - the ones stuck in the horridity of the Empire. He had done it for you.

You felt like you had a purpose still, even with Bodhi gone. Although you could never find a way to leave, you soon found a way to help.

There was an odd looking ship just outside of the Death Star. Although you were not permitted to, you felt your hand itching towards the switch that would pull the ship into the center of the Death Star.

There was a feeling deep inside of you. It tugged at your heart. It was the Force, something your parents had told you about when you were young. It was in you, too.

"May the Force be with you," you whispered to the ship, and you knew that at least two people heard you.

You were smiling even as they dragged you to the prison cells. Even when you were executed, you knew you and Bodhi had done something far greater than anyone else inside of the base.

It only hurt for a second, and then it was over.

And moments after, you felt him next to you again. This time, you grabbed onto his hand and did not let go as you stepped into a cloud of bright white.