TLJ COUNTDOWN #5 Second Chance | Poe Dameron

requested by -CaptainObvious-

//

Your TIE fighter landed messily. Even with the Rebels firing endlessly as they tried to keep the Order from stealing their ship, you climbed out, blaster in hand, finger on the trigger.

You shot down Rebel after Rebel, pausing only to take cover behind a broken droid. It received a dozen shots in three seconds. You took in a deep breath.

Just as you turned back to fire again, a weapon crashed against the side of your head, and you fell back. You grunted as you hit the ground. Your vision spotted but did not vanish.

Get up! Get up! Get up!

You did. You flipped over on your stomach, aiming your blaster at the man that hit you. He kicked it out of your hands and then bent down to grab it, one of his large, darker skinned hands grabbing your shoulder and jerking you up.

You yelped as he forced you onto your feet and shoved you down a corridor, blaster pointed at you. You glanced back and saw that he wore the uniform of a pilot. He was like you, just on the opposite side.

"Aren't you going to kill me?" you asked. You weren't one to desire being tortured for information.

"I'm gonna give you a second chance," he said with a gruff voice.

You furrowed your eyebrows. "What? Why?"

"Because someone gave me one, once," he said. "And everyone deserves one." He grabbed your elbow and dragged you to a room full of small ships. "Now you take one of these and you get far away from here. Far away from the Order." When you hesitated, he sighed. "Your people are going to lose. They always lose. So go!"

You stared up at him in awe. You were getting a second chance. Never had that been an option for you. You were raised by a cold woman that died for the Order in the very beginning. You never had a choice. You never had a second option.

And now -

"Go," he urged.

Your eyes filled with tears. "Thank you," you whispered.

He gave you a hard look as you escaped into one of the ships. He helped you leave, and as you flew off into space, dumbfounded by your sudden freedom, you saw a large burst of green and blue come out of the Resistance ship. You gasped.

Before you could even think, you turned around. You had to help - not for the Resistance, or the Order, but for the man that had saved you.

The man that had given you a second chance.