Chapter 17

A/N: I will be switching between Draco and Hermione in this chapter so please pay attention to whose point of view it is!

Hermione
I woke up to the sound of birds singing. Classes would start tomorrow and I needed to talk to Draco before they started. I got out of bed and saw that my friends were still asleep and tiptoed my way to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror and decided to make a messy ponytail for today. I threw on a red t shirt and some jeans and went down to the Great Hall to eat and find Draco. I thought about what I was going to say to him. 'Hi Draco.' No no. That won't work. 'Helloo'. No. 'Draco, we need to talk.' That's it.
I rehearsed those five words until I got down to the hall. Not many students were there. Maybe one or two Gryffindors were there and a few older students were scattered across the tables. I searched for the familiar tint of  platinum blonde on the Slytherin table. When I couldn't find him, I looked for the person that might know where he is. "Zabini!" I called out to the Slytherin. He turned, confused as to who had called his name. I waved and he looked surprised that I had called to him. He came over to where I was standing,"Hermione Granger? Why are you talking to me?" He rudely asked.
"Um...because I need to ask you something important," I explained, "Do you know where Draco is?"
"Aaahh, you're looking for Dracoo." He teased.
"Oh, shut up! Tell me where he is!" I scoffed.
"I don't know...I need to know why." He winked.
"Tell. Me. Now." I grunted, hitting him with my book with every word.
"Geez, woman! Learn that violence isn't the answer. He's in the library." He whined and rubbed his arm. I smiled,"Thanks, bye!" I walked out of the Great Hall and headed for the place that was my third home. I took a deep breath before walking into the library. I stepped inside and looked for Draco. "Um... Madam Pince." I muttered. "Yes dear?" Madam Pince looked up from her book. "Have you seen Draco?" I asked. "Draco, huh? By his first name?" She smirked. "Not you too. Can you just tell me where he is?" I groaned. "He's in the corner over there, dear." She chuckled and pointed to the spot where I usually liked to sit. I walked over to the spot and saw him there. My heart skipped a beat as I saw his eyes look into mine, but something was off. Instead of the regular soft, molten silver rivers in his eyes, I saw cold hard ice staring back.
"D-Draco, we um-need to talk." I stuttered. "Yeah and I um need to go." He turned on his heel and walked away, leaving me dumbfounded.
Draco
I walked away from Granger, even though every part of my heart wanted to hug her and tell her that I would listen and I would be there for her.
But I couldn't endanger her. The time was coming very soon. I couldn't let her get too close to me. I don't even know if I'm trying to protect her or myself.
I love her and I need to tell her too, but now isn't the time. I need to finish the task and then I'll do it, then I'll talk to her. I walked out of the library and started on the same path for the thousandth time.
Hermione
I wasn't going to give up on him yet. I need to apologize. I need to help him.
I ran after him and when I caught up, I realized I need to phrase my words carefully or else one of us would get hurt.
"Draco! Stop. We need to talk. We need to talk about what happened." I called out to him.
He stopped,"You wanna talk? Let's talk," he slowly said.
Draco
"In that room, for the first time I felt like I meant something to someone." I said slowly walking towards Hermione.
"In that room, I thought that someone cared about me. In that room, I thought that someone understood me." I felt my voice shake. I had crossed half of the distance between me and Hermione.
"I thought that you understood what I was going through. I thought you would help me get through it. I thought you loved me." By now I was yelling at her. The distance between us was now only a few inches.
"Draco, I do love you, but what you're doing. You're doing it in the wrong way." She whispered, tears trickling down her face.
"You know what I have to do, Hermione. You know why and you know that I don't want to." I quietly muttered.
"Yes, but I also know that you can fight this. I know that you aren't who you think you are. I know that you aren't a monster." She softly cried.
"Well, you thought wrong." I backed away slowly from my love, from the only person who cared about me and walked back to where I was going.
Hermione
He left me there, with tears streaking my face. I cried and cried. I cried at the fact that I couldn't save him. I cried because I knew that he was capable of fighting this. I cried because I knew that he would do this. I knew he wouldn't listen. I knew that I had lost him to the dark side.