Chapter 26: Beneath The Lies

This is the last chapter. Thank you for reading up to this part. It means so much to me.

Enjoy :)

*****

Eren's POV

As I drove through the streets from Levi's house, I couldn't help the tears falling from my eyes. Letting the warm liquid roll down my cheeks and drip onto my shirt, staining it. How much more of a fool could I be? How could I make myself believe that maybe, Levi would choose me over Rein just because he chose to spend one of the most special day in his life with me?

Pathetic. I'm being too naïve to even think that way.

Because there's just no way for him to be with me, right? Rei. Has been the one he wants all along, the one he really has feelings to. What do I have against that?

Besides, who would even want to love a liar like me?

Maybe it'll be best to just forget and move on. If that'll help Levi, then so be it.

I'd rather be the only one hurting.

*****
Levi's POV

I didn't know how many times I had read Rein's letter over the past hour. Reading it over and over again, the words rang out inside my mind, letting the words leave a mark behind. No matter how many times I had already read it, the feeling I got from it never changed. It still feels heavy, hurt and guilt building up inside me as I take Rein's words in.

How could he do it? How could he let go after what he had said before?

I looked at the plate resting in front of me. My appetite was long gone, the thought of keeping anything solid inside my stomach implausible. But I couldn't waste it. I couldn't waste his efforts. Again.

Not wanting to waste Rein's effort for the second fucking time, I ate all the foods he prepared for me despite losing my appetite. It tasted good, but none of it did well to my appetite, still in a state of daze and shock with what I just read and what happened.

As I silently cut the pancake into smaller pieces, the utensils in my hand felt heavier than it was supposed to, as if it was also weighed down by the heaviness in my chest. I couldn't stop thinking of Rein, of what just happened last night, what made him decide that it would be best to just give up and let go for the best of us. I let the tea scald my tongue when I took small sips from my cup, the relaxing effect of it not doing its work on me.

Where is he now? What is he doing? Is he crying? Cursing himself for what he has done? Or is he at peace, smiling as he thinks that what he chose was the best thing for us?

How about me? What am I even feeling? I don't know. With my emotions in disarray, scattered and unrecognizable, I couldn't pick the appropriate to describe what I actually feel.

After clearing the plate, I stood up and went to wash the dishes. My movements were robotic, my body moving as if on autopilot. I walked back to my bedroom, steps small as I threaded through the room, closing the door behind me silently when I reached my destination. Taking the towel, I headed towards the bathroom.

I let the tub be filled with water before I poured some scented oil. Stripping myself off any clothes, I got in, letting myself sink until the water reaches my chin. Heaving out a heavy sigh, I closed my eyes and forced my mind and body to relax.

Take it easy, Levi. Soon, all of this will be over.

But will it really be over soon?

My mind went back to the letter he left, unable to get away from it. The letter that ended it all. In the letter, he told me he was sorry. But what is he being sorry for? He never did anything wrong. All he did was love me, wait for me as I get over Eren and slowly learn to return his feelings, something that I wasn't able to do. I was supposed to be the one to say sorry. Not him.