SIXTEEN.

when the sun had just barely sank beneath the horizon, the boy was on his feet. he had made sure to leave a sticky note on the kitchen counter, he knew how his mother worried about him. it was scrabbled almost unreadably in blue ink on the thin, yellow paper.

it read 'mom, i went for a walk. be back in two hours.' he had clicked the pen and set it down next to the notes without a care in the world. he went in his checkered pajama pants and long t shirt. he left barefoot.

min yoongi ran from the dark.

he dared to turn back, faced with the incomprehensible reality of the voices coming from the darkness. the smell of pine surrounded him, a sickening smell he had yet to get used to since he made his way into the forest that cool summer evening. it was, to say the least, overwhelming.

the sound of his own heavy breathing made him the most paranoid. any of them could be his last breath, his last inhale of life before his own eternal sleep.

"breathe, breathe, breathe." he repeated the words over and over again to himself, his hearing still foggy. it seemed as though he was underwater, all the words jumbled together in one big blob of static.

it felt like he was drowning.

his pace quickened though his feet grew tired. he grew tired, even. he grew tired of everything; his mom, the forest, his own, horrid breathing. but most of all, he was tired of living. he couldn't bear the thought of dying, but he figured it was way better than living.

he sat on a stump, pricking at the pieces of sharp wood. blood trickled down from his thin lips he didn't know he'd been biting. he gazed over the scabs on his wrists, his arms, his hands.

yoongi wanted to let his sanity catch up to him. he waited and waited and waited, for what seemed like years upon years of endless time. he waited for the sanity all that night, but it never came.

maybe he wasn't sane in the first place.