City Lights

Tom's POV•
I blushed as Matt yelled "inspiration" to me. Rushing down the hall, I burst through Tord's door.
He was laying on his bed, staring at the ceiling. His earbuds were in, and I could make out a faint beat coming from them.
"Tom? What's up?" He pulled one earbud out and sat up.
I laughed breathlessly. "Trying to get away from Matt. You know how it is."
He rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled. God, I loved his accent, how it laced his every word and even his laughs. But I'd never admit it.
"I'm afraid I do." He admitted. "How about we really get away and go do something?"
"I still hate you." I remind him.
He waves his hand, as if he was waving the feelings away. "Let's agree to disagree. I'm open to-"
"The fair's in town!" I blurt. "Can we go?"
He furrows his brow. "I've...never been. What's it like?"
"It's...there are rides and food and it's all really fun. Can we go?"
"Well, I'm not stopping you. Wanna invite Edd and Matt?"
I think a moment, then shake my head. "No. I just want it to...to be us."
Tord brightens. "Is this a date, Jehovah's Witness~?" He teases.
I blush madly. "Shut up, Commie."
"You know you love me."
"I'll never admit it."
"That's what you say now."
"Whatever. I'll see you at six."
"Until then."
I wave slightly and turn to go. Making sure I was out of his eyesight, I danced down the hall.
<><><><>
"Ready?" I ask.
Tord nods. "You uh...you look good." He mumbled.
I turn red. "T-thanks. You too." And he did. He looked adorable, dressed in his usual outfit.
"Hey, where are you two off to?" Matt walks in.
"Um...the fair?" I look down at the floor.
He looks between me and Tord, smiling widely.
"Ohhhh!" He squeals. "I knew it! Edd! I was right again!" He ran out.
Tord looked at me, confused. "Wanna tell me what that was all about?"
"Not really." I admit.
He considers this a moment. "Fair enough."
I chuckle, and we walk out into the night.
<><><><>
"Oh my god, Tom is this real?!" Tord squeals, turning around in a slow circle.
"Yep." I laugh. The lights reflected off of his eyes and I grabbed his hand.
"C'mon. Have you ever had candyfloss?"
His eyes widen and he shakes his head.
We ride rides, eat snacks, and play games. Tord becomes particularly obsessed with a balloon popping game.
"Step right up! Shoot the gun! Pop the balloon! Easy as pie!" The attending shouted.
"I got this." Tord grins and steps up.
"Helloooo sir! What's your name?" The attending leans forward and smiles widely.
"T-Tord..." Tord says shyly.
"Well, Tord, you think you have it in you? Just pop the balloons!"
Tord nods and the attending hands him some sort of dart gun.
Tord steps back...aims...
Pop!
"Well! Beginners luck!"
Pop! Pop!
"Well I never-"
Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop!
The attending's jaw dropped. "Ladies and gentlemen! Step right up! See the boy who never misses!"
A small crowd was forming around me and Tord, who never took his eyes off of the balloon board. He steadily worked through, popping them column by column.
By the time he made it halfway through, the attending shrugged. "You used all of my darts, boy! Take any prize you want!"
Tord's eyes lit up as he scoured over the choices. He finally decided on a good sized stuffed bear.
Waving to the crowd, we walked out into the chilly night, examining the rest of the fairground.
"We haven't been on the Ferris wheel yet. You want to?" I point upwards at the tall, spindly contraption.
Tord nods, staring at his bear. Suddenly, he shoves it at me.
"Here. I want you to have this."
"What? No, Tord, you-"
"You brought me here. I wouldn't have had this experience if it weren't for you. And besides," a playful smile tugged at his mouth. "Now Tomee bear has a friend."
I blush and take the bear.
"Thank you."
Tord smiled at the ground. Suddenly, he set his jaw and looked up at me.
"Tom?"
"Yeah?"
"I...I think I'm-"
"Are you two getting on?!" An impatient voice says from behind us.
I look up to see that an open car for the Ferris wheel is sitting in front of us. We giggle, apologize, and hop in.
The car swoops up...up...up...until we're at the very top. Looking out over the city. A breeze blows over us and I subconsciously cuddle closer to Tord. He wraps an arm around me and smiles, gazing out at the city.
"Hey...Tord?"
"Yes?"
"You know what you were trying to say before we got on?"
"...yeah?"
"What was that?"
Tord was silent for a moment, before saying softly,
"I think I'm falling in love with you, and I don't know why. But I am. I love your quirks, your silent conversations with the world. I love your persona of being chill when in reality you're just a dork. But I want you to be my dork. So no, I don't think I'm falling in love with you. I know I'm falling in love with you. And I don't even know if I'm okay with that."
My heart swells in my chest as I lean up and kiss him, quieting his ramble and filling the air with deafening silence. He wraps both his arms around me and kisses me back. He tastes like candyfloss and fresh air and all my hopes and dreams bound into that one perfect moment. One that I never wanted to end.